Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 22-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
pola

redcross Help! Help! - HB Fin issue!

Issue is with the fins of my HB Aro.

Thanks to everyone in advance, and sorry for the long description, but I really need some guidance here. Here is the back ground:

I brought it home about 5 month ago. And initially it was quite stressed for the first 2-3 month. And I must say the water quality wasn’t too good. So it had a few damage by jumping in the tank damaged its fin and at one stage even had a bit of gill cure (the gill cure is all good now after 1 month of care).

I finally moved it to a quiet spot and kept up the water change. And its doing well very in almost every aspect, from not eating much to eating prawns, and know fully on pellets. He is no longer scared of people and comes close to the front of tank when people are around. Also, kept in a 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 tank with a fresh water sting ray which is fully on pellets and doing just as well. I am pretty confident that my water quality should be pretty good. It’s getting bigger and bigger and colour is developing well. I was prepared to move it into a 5 x 2.5 x 2.5 tank with my 4 Geophagus as soon as possible.

However, even though the Pectoral and Pelvic fins are slowly growing back. The damage on the Dorsal, Caudal and Anal fin are just not healing while not getting any worse, but I realised few tips of those fins started to split. I guess the best way I can describe it is its going to around off. So I am really worried and even more confused. If the round off is just part of the process then that’s fine, but it could be the symptom of getting worse (but then I can’t justify all the positive signs)? I kinda don’t want to go down the path of cutting the tails for them to re-grow.

I have kept aros in the past and never had any issue. And from memory, I didn’t even cared for them as much as I have this time.

So really appreciate experts advise or someone who had similar issues in the past.

Hope it all makes sense and the photo is the best I could take.

Cheers
pola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Hydher
Dragon

yep some damages wun cure fully
Hydher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Dave57

you'll need to upload your photo to a photo hosting site before you can post it here. the photo link you posted was from your gmail account. we can't view it. you can first upload your picture to photobucket or imgur before linking here.

I think keeping an arowana with a stingray in a 4X1.5X1.5 is not a good idea. water gets foul easily. you'll need to consistently make big volume water change to keep the water quality good. conditions won't be optimum for an injured arowana to recover fast.

Last edited by Dave57; 22-10-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Ts, the fundamentals: water change & maintain good water parameters.

Shall appreciate it if you can download a clip on your aro.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
pola

[IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/pola18/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[/IMG]
Old 23-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #6
pola

Sorry guys, am I missing some steps here. the photo post through photo bucket doesn't seems to work
Old 23-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Homester
Senior Dragon

Healing of the fins take times and its not some injuries or wounds that can be fully recover in just a couple of days time.
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

TS, any reason y u want to cut the tail?
just one pic and u expect us to give what advise?

what filtration r u using?
only 1 tankmate (fresh water stingray) what size? or
total 5 tankmates(4 Geophagus ) what size again?

so what diets for all? prawn meat or pellets?

IMO based on this photo alone... somewhere in the tank or filter got leftover rotten prawn meat.....
gtohow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
pola

Fair enough

any reason y u want to cut the tail? - Because I saw online that some people did it, and the whole tail grown back.

what filtration r u using? - I am using 2 x Eheim 2217 Canister
only 1 tankmate (fresh water stingray) what size? about 10cm in diameter
total 5 tankmates(4 Geophagus ) what size again? - They are in separate tank at the moment, but was thinking of combining them.

so what diets for all? prawn meat or pellets? the first 3 month on prawn and the last 2 month fully on pellet (both Aro and Ray)

IMO based on this photo alone... somewhere in the tank or filter got leftover rotten prawn meat.....( I think this is spot on, I noticed that's when the problem started to develop. So if this was the cause, what would be the recommended solution)
Old 23-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
pola

http://vid1382.photobucket.com/album...psmywmlzb1.mp4

Hope this helps