Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 21-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Hellarts
Arofanatic

Default sump tank

Hi I want to ask why is my sump tank the water lvl reduce so fast and need top up so often.
Sorry I'm new to sump tank.
Hellarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
jksn_

Where did you put your chiller? Is it warm inside your cabinet? Water splashes? And visible leaks? Even drops of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jksn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Hellarts
Arofanatic

[QUOTE=jksn_;9941089]Where did you put your chiller? Is it warm inside your cabinet? Water splashes? And visible leaks? Even drops of it?

No chiller but is in an office with aircon.
If cabinet warm will affect?
I don't think got leak as is just made.
Old 22-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
satan_gal
Dragon

how fast is fast? how often is often? only sump reduce, main tank no change in water lvl?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Hellarts
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
how fast is fast? how often is often? only sump reduce, main tank no change in water lvl?
Like need top up water everyday is it counted fast?
Yup only sump tank main tank never reduce.
Old 22-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Your main tank have tank cover? Is the aeration in your main tank powerful?

Your sump tank first compartment comes with glass cover?

Usually when evaporation takes place at a fast rate then will you need to consistently top up water. Thus it be good to cover the area where lots of water movement is taking place.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
Dave57

for most sump - tank set up, with overflow chamber in the main tank, the water level in sump will drop more than the main tank. this is because of the overflow chamber maintaining a certain water level in the main tank. another point is the sump is of a smaller volume, any change in water level will be more obvious in the sump.

the recent warm weather is going to increase evaporation rate. Do check the water levels more frequently in warm weather.

in air con rooms, the air conditioning reduces air humidity to cool the air. in lower humidity environment, evaporation rate also increases. in air con rooms, the evaporation rate is higher than outside (Singapore's humidity is very high). but the evaporation rate should be more consistent in the controlled environment of the air con room. the water loss rate should be pretty predictable, just do the regular checking and topping up.

splashing at the flow inlets (return point to main tank and inflow point to sump) are going to cause some water loss as well. adding covers at these points do help in reducing water loss.

P/S: topping up water is not equal to water change. changing water removes pollutants from the water, topping up water does not.

Last edited by Dave57; 23-03-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
shermie
Senior Dragon

cover your sump to prevent evaporation / splashing. especially if u have a lot of aeration. i use hiblow40 for my sump and lose 1 inch of water level every 3 days if i dont cover it.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 04:19 AM   #9
Hellarts
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondpeh View Post
Your main tank have tank cover? Is the aeration in your main tank powerful?

Your sump tank first compartment comes with glass cover?

Usually when evaporation takes place at a fast rate then will you need to consistently top up water. Thus it be good to cover the area where lots of water movement is taking place.
Yup the tank and and sump is cover my glass cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
for most sump - tank set up, with overflow chamber in the main tank, the water level in sump will drop more than the main tank. this is because of the overflow chamber maintaining a certain water level in the main tank. another point is the sump is of a smaller volume, any change in water level will be more obvious in the sump.

the recent warm weather is going to increase evaporation rate. Do check the water levels more frequently in warm weather.

in air con rooms, the air conditioning reduces air humidity to cool the air. in lower humidity environment, evaporation rate also increases. in air con rooms, the evaporation rate is higher than outside (Singapore's humidity is very high). but the evaporation rate should be more consistent in the controlled environment of the air con room. the water loss rate should be pretty predictable, just do the regular checking and topping up.

splashing at the flow inlets (return point to main tank and inflow point to sump) are going to cause some water loss as well. adding covers at these points do help in reducing water loss.

P/S: topping up water is not equal to water change. changing water removes pollutants from the water, topping up water does not.
okay thanks for all the advice i will take noted of the tempreture as it is in a aircon place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
cover your sump to prevent evaporation / splashing. especially if u have a lot of aeration. i use hiblow40 for my sump and lose 1 inch of water level every 3 days if i dont cover it.
noted i will cover all the place which consist of splashing and see how it goes.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
rolex
Arofanatic

Used to have this problem when the pump is new. Later I put alot of media coral chips at the last chamber near the pump to increase vol and block the suction. The flow goes smoothly.hope that help.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
rolex is offline   Reply With Quote