Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Arosub
Dragon

Default Power cutoff : What pump to buy?

Hi , bros ,

I will be facing power cut off on friday . Bros , can advise which type of battery operated pump to buy?

Many thanks in advance!!
Arosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
Calsberg
Dragon

if power cuts are not the norm and is not expected to last for long periods where you live, frankly, any battery powered air pump recommended by the store would work for you. you may be disappointed with this response but i am trying to spare you the trouble of hunting everywhere for a particular brand when there is actually not much 'technology' difference across generic battery air pump makes vis a vis the duration of your actual use.

to note, the criticality of your need (which affects the recommended solution for you) also depends on the bioload you are supporting which is not known to us. in short, if your bioload is real heavy, 1 unit may not be sufficient for the short term but for longer term, you may need look at inverter (eg inverex) or ups units, to manage your risk.

cheerz
Calsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Arosub
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calsberg View Post
if power cuts are not the norm and is not expected to last for long periods where you live, frankly, any battery powered air pump recommended by the store would work for you. you may be disappointed with this response but i am trying to spare you the trouble of hunting everywhere for a particular brand when there is actually not much 'technology' difference across generic battery air pump makes vis a vis the duration of your actual use.

to note, the criticality of your need (which affects the recommended solution for you) also depends on the bioload you are supporting which is not known to us. in short, if your bioload is real heavy, 1 unit may not be sufficient for the short term but for longer term, you may need look at inverter (eg inverex) or ups units, to manage your risk.

cheerz
thanks bro!! Got a low end one !
Arosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
patclay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arosub View Post
thanks bro!! Got a low end one !
Last time when I was notified by PUB that power would be cut off for 3hours for cable maintenance, I buy 2 battery operated pump for my 5ft tank, and I bought alkaline batteries and put inside my pumps. The batteries should be able to run a good 6-8hours
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #5
kenghua
Arofanatic

Few years ago, the pump for my OHF broke down before I left for work. It gave me the chance to try out something I read.

I used a standing fan to blow onto the tank water. The wind causes enough disturbance on water surface to allow oxygen to be dissolved into the water.

Came home 9 to 10 hours after work with a new pump. No casualties.
kenghua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 AM   #6
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenghua View Post
Few years ago, the pump for my OHF broke down before I left for work. It gave me the chance to try out something I read.

I used a standing fan to blow onto the tank water. The wind causes enough disturbance on water surface to allow oxygen to be dissolved into the water.

Came home 9 to 10 hours after work with a new pump. No casualties.
But TS case, he is experiencing power cut, so even standing fan also wont work

花有重开日,人无再少年
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote