Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
shoon82
Dragon

Default Dilemma on buying tank

Happy new year Everyone !! Just want to get some views. My OHF overflowed and water splashed onto my cabinet and soak it. The wood of the cabinet expanded and i now fear that the tank will collaspe sooner or later. I planning to get a new tank and have been to a few shops to look at.

Currently is 5x2x2 with OHF 12 trays.. Thinking of downgrading to 4x2x2 since planning to keep one arowana and a ST only.

I saw those tanks with sump tank and also those that have compartment at the top for ohf. I am very tempted with sump tank setup because i have never used that before and it seems neat. The only concern here is that the cabinet is wood and keeping sump means that moisture will be high and also when changing wool, media, cleaning. water may drip onto the cabinet. And eventually spoil the cabinet and i will be back where i am today.

The thing with the ohf is that once if i want to close the tank cover, i can only put in 4 small trays of media. I dont know whether thats sufficent for a 4x2x2 tank eventhough i am only keeping 2 fish.

In a dilemma right now and i have to make the decision by this weekend. Any advise will be helpful!
shoon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
honghonghonghon
Arofanatic

i would suggest going for sump bro. more space for filter medias, good for now and good for future incase u want to add in more fishes, and definitely more neat too. For the cabinet u can consider using chengai wood, can last very very long for fishtank use. Another option will be metal stand.
honghonghonghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Water moisture inside the cabinet is not too big concern as there are ventilations, if you wan, can install fans to extract out the air inside cabinet also can. As for water dripping when changing wool, medias, just have to be cAreful n wipe dry when drips out.

Hope this helps.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

I am using 2 extractor fans installed in my cabinet to ventilate the sump interior. I would say go for sump.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
eNox
Arofanatic

Make it 3ft sump
eNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
shoon82
Dragon

thanks for all the advises. A very noob question, if the pump fails to work at some point, will the sump tank overflow?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Censis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoon82 View Post
thanks for all the advises. A very noob question, if the pump fails to work at some point, will the sump tank overflow?

Yes it will, due to water pressure(siphon), the water will flow back into your sump and overflow. I had a bad experience myself.

Create a hole in the return pipe just above water level to prevent this.
Censis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Censis
Dragon

And go for a sump, the bigger the better. Always good to over kill.

Sump can put in more medias, and look much neater, hidden behind your cabinet doors

But of course the price of tank increases if having a sump.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
shoon82
Dragon

seems like sump is the better choice. pricing wise, sump tank will be around 1.8k for a 4ft and 1.2k for non sump.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Censis
Dragon

Pay a bit more, enjoy for the next few years...

Worth it! Go for it bro