Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 18-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
loveikan
Arofanatic

Default Dr Tan CB is returning to politics

Returning to Politics

I have decided to return to politics after a long absence.

Two days ago on the 16th of January 2019, twelve likeminded Singaporeans (including some ex PAP cadres and myself) filed an application to the Registry of Societies to register a new political party. This will be called the Progress Singapore Party.

Over the years, a group of us have been walking the ground, meeting many Singaporeans from all walks of life. In my conversations with them, I listened to their concerns, heard their fears and felt their pain. I felt a sense of duty to come forward and represent them in Parliament. So I decided to form a political party to add another voice in Parliament.

The decision to go on our own was not an easy one. I, together with my team, studied the many options offered, like joining an existing opposition party, taking over an existing opposition party, running as an independent and so on. I want to thank all those who made such generous offers. I considered them all seriously and it was a difficult decision, but I feel it is the right one.

Though we are setting up a new party, we still look forward to working with others in the opposition who are passionate about putting country first – before either party or self.

At 78 years, I have a short window that I intend to use mentoring and developing future Parliamentarians who will work for the good of our nation. We want to build a compassionate and truly democratic Singapore where good values and people matter. Freedom of choice and free speech without fear must be defended.

We hope to be given the opportunity for Progress Singapore Party to be an alternative voice in parliament. In due course, as the party and candidates mature, we intend to be ready to govern the nation. In the mean time, we will work with those who share our political beliefs of country first – before either party or self.

We are awaiting approval from the Registry of Societies and will hold a press conference thereafter.

To get in touch with me, please click on https://goo.gl/forms/iAuouSgTYoiDx9gf2

重回政坛

告别了一段时间,我已决定重新回到政坛。

两天前(1月16日)有12位理念相近的新加坡人,(包括几位前人民行动党干部再加上我自己)已向新加坡的 社团注册局提出申请注册一个新的政党。新政党的名字是新加坡前进党。

过去的一年,我们一组人都有在社区活动,与不同层次的国人见面。交谈中我聆听了国人的心声,大家的忧虑与难 言之隐,我感觉到自己有责任在国会中再次代表他们,而且必须成立政党才能在国会中为民请愿。

这条道路不会是一帆风顺的。我研究了各种方案,如加入其他政党,或是接管一个已经存在的政党,甚至当一名独 立人士。在这里我要感谢向我提出建议的朋友们,我经过慎重考虑,决定了,成立新政党是正确的。

在成立新政党后,我们乐意与把国家优先,大于党及个人,理念相近的反对党一起合作。

我已78岁了,只有很短的时间去培养有心从政,为国为民的未来国会议员。我们要维护一个真民主,正确价值观 ,以民为本的新加坡,而且必须保持自由选择及无畏发言的精神。

我们希望大家能给将成立的新加坡前进党一个机会,成为国会里的新声音。向前看,新政党及团队成熟后,要成为 替代政府的机会是可能的。目前的首要任务是要与国家优先,大于党及个人,理念相近的各路人马共 同携手合作。

我们目前在等待社团注册局的批准,一旦收到批文,马上会举行记者招待会。
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
hkh
Arofanatic

Salute Dr Tan
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
lenghan
Arofanatic

Before getting too excited, keen to know who those "ex-PAP cadres" are in his potential party that had left the ruling party (probably not of their choice).
lenghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
jwhtan
Barney

i think they are likely retired PAP cadres or Dr Tan's Ayer Rajah constituency grassroot leaders
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
foxwagon
Dragon

12 like minded apostles?
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
loveikan
Arofanatic

Party will be called PSP.....Playstation Portable.

On a serious note, hat off to him as instead of enjoying his retirement, he chose to do something for his beloved country. 2 years ago, a few of his friends already advised him to stop pursuing his political life but at that time, he was very adamant in his decision.
It will be a challenge to look for a like-minded ppl among the opposition.

And also hope Lim Thean will not be in his party.

Last edited by loveikan; 18-01-2019 at 08:54 PM.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
foxwagon
Dragon

At his age actually can sit back relax n retire

But Mahathir also return to politics n he is older than Dr Tan
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Robson
Arofanatic

Mat returned because that country is rotten to the core with corruption.

Even if we make tcb pm, how much can he improves us?
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
hkh
Arofanatic

Think at least he can make the Whites work harder for their money......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
mictok
Dragon

All want to be Boss to start party
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote