Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #51
Pikapig
Dragon

what is the floating plant u use for the tank??? tot of using some of those for my shrimp tank...wat is ur ph like in the tank?
Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #52
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
what is the floating plant u use for the tank??? tot of using some of those for my shrimp tank...wat is ur ph like in the tank?

frogbits if i'm not wrong... they spread super fast! so must becareful not to put to many in
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #53
69efan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
Hmmm not sure about ph bro. but it was ok when only betta is in. for many weeks its green n doing ok. but until ive added shrimps, going botak ,both roots and leaves haha.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #54
Pikapig
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique View Post
frogbits if i'm not wrong... they spread super fast! so must becareful not to put to many in
doubt its frog bites....ermm..looks slightly bigger
Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #55
69efan69

yep bro its frogbits. looks big cuz my tank is small haha. dang hate to see roots cut in half and flying around in tank. =(
Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #56
globalcookie
Dragon

It's normal for the roots of frogbits to shed. It's not the works of your shrimps that ruin it. I see that happened once in awhile in my tank. Just clear it using a tube while sucking out some water during wc.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #57
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
It's normal for the roots of frogbits to shed. It's not the works of your shrimps that ruin it. I see that happened once in awhile in my tank. Just clear it using a tube while sucking out some water during wc.
thanks bro for input.. my initial thoughts were that the shrimps destroyed the roots of the frog bits.. becase u can always find the shrimps clinging on to the roots...

my frogbits last time, the roots were all gone and left only like 1cm of it from being very long...

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #58
globalcookie
Dragon

No worries bro, after the plant sheds off old roots, new ones will grow. I think frogbits needs quite a lot of lights as compared to most moss. If you keep it under lesser lighting, maybe the roots will shed too, or that the leaves will turn yellowish. With sufficient lights, it grows very well and the roots can grow really long.

It looks annoying seeing so much roots hanging here and there but since it's good at absorbing amonia/nitrates/etc, i leave it alone. When i have too much frogbits, i culled them and feed to the bigger fishes in the office tank.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #59
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
No worries bro, after the plant sheds off old roots, new ones will grow. I think frogbits needs quite a lot of lights as compared to most moss. If you keep it under lesser lighting, maybe the roots will shed too, or that the leaves will turn yellowish. With sufficient lights, it grows very well and the roots can grow really long.

It looks annoying seeing so much roots hanging here and there but since it's good at absorbing amonia/nitrates/etc, i leave it alone. When i have too much frogbits, i culled them and feed to the bigger fishes in the office tank.
yeah now that you mentioned, now that you mentioned about leaves turning yellow and all, i think my roots was as such due to my lighting not being very good, coz im using a very small clip on light on my vase setup. I got rid of my frogbits already though, the yellowish leaves and really short roots spoilt the aesthetic of the tank.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #60
Seow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique View Post
yeah now that you mentioned, now that you mentioned about leaves turning yellow and all, i think my roots was as such due to my lighting not being very good, coz im using a very small clip on light on my vase setup. I got rid of my frogbits already though, the yellowish leaves and really short roots spoilt the aesthetic of the tank.
lucky u have clear it. or ur water will turn really smelly! but i like ur tank!! haha