Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #21
AdamC
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icystalk View Post
I started keeping SVR about 2 months ago. Have 3 of them and 1 of them started to have SBP 2 weeks into keeping.

I keep them outdoor in a 120l filterless tub with wc daily (50-70%) with anti-chlorine
weekday feed (twice a day):sinking pellets, fbw
weekend feed (4-5times): sinking pellets, fbw, egg tofu
snack: duckweed

is there anyway i can cure the SBP for that 1 ranchu. if not will it kill it?
Here is my suggestion:
1. Isolate the fish with SBP, reduce feeding to once every two days. Don't worry, the fish will be fine with less food.
2. If there's no improvement, try Epsom salt at 0.2% salinity, i.e. 2g per liter predissolved before adding. After each WC, replenish salinity to 2g per liter. Maintain this for 3-5 days.

If the above does not help, it's very likely the SB of the fish is already weak or compromised.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #22
Heuer
Dragon

while treating it, try to lower the water level so that it won't struggle to "dive" for food.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #23
icystalk

Thanks all for the suggestions
icystalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #24
AdamC
Arofanatic

Try soaking the pellets before feeding. I'm finding this very helpful.
Best of luck!
Old 14-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #25
kitsilano

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo lim View Post
Just wonder why my GF keeps kena sbp!
I don't think i over feed them, as only breakfast sinking pellets and night frozen worm. They usually finished it within a minutes.
WC once a week, 90%.
Filter : OHF with bio-ring and wool.
Add about two handfull of salt each WC.

Tank : 3x1.5x1.5
Fishes : Ard 10pcs size ard 2-3" oranda and pearl.

Really thinking of giving up GF keeping....so far most of them died are ranchu.
Hi bro...you might be overstocking...ie too many fishes in a confined area; so water foul fast and bcos of filtration, water might look ok, but in actuality is bad..so affect the health of the ranchu and the swim bladder membrane damaged. Swim bladder membrane damage is ireversible. IMHO your feeding style is not ideal for goldfishes...fbw ok but pellet food...feed less but more times...feeding goldfishes twice a day is not enough.

I don't believe in floating pellet or sinking pellet being good or bad for goldfishes...the health of the fish including the swim bladder most important...healthy fish with healthy swim bladder can take floating pellet and no issue. It is when the swim bladder is damaged and eating floating pellets and gas building up in the body cavity and a damaged swim bladder cannot function efficient enough to discharge the air that cause sbp.

Sometimes goldfishes might have temporary sbp(gas build up) bcos of overfeeding or bad water quality...adjusting the feeding and water change can help reduce floating..if swim bladder is still good...overfeeding causes more gas buildup and the fish swim bladdder cannot discharge the gas fast enough...stop feeding for half a day will help the gas build up to be released through good swim bladder. On the other hand if swim bladder that is already damaged, overfeeding which causes more gas buildup, the damaged swim bladder cannot discharge the gas build up and the fish will suffer and float and float endlessly.

ps...dont see the rational of adding salt every water change. Add baking soda is more correct and that help keep stabilise the PH as goldfishes do better in higher PH.

Last edited by kitsilano; 14-09-2015 at 11:38 AM.
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
kitsilano

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
I know of a guy that is into koi but keep GF just for the fun of it.
he has oranda, SVR and TVR and all his GF eat the same food as his koi which are all floating pellets. totally no soft food like FBW or vegge.
he just scoop whatever water in his koi pond to change out 100% water for the GF in his blue tube every other day. totally no problem with SBP so far.

hope more guys who have face SBP can share your experience here for all of us to learn.
Bro...Just be careful of Koi KHV viruses...very hard to cure and very very fatal...try not to mix koi and goldfishes through common water sources. Koi might carry KHV in its body system and stay dormant and just need something to trigger like from other new kois mix into the pond or sharing water sources with let say goldfishes...once infected with KHV Koi or ranchu can die and whole pond or tub can be wiped out.
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #27
leo lim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsilano View Post
Hi bro...you might be overstocking...ie too many fishes in a confined area; so water foul fast and bcos of filtration, water might look ok, but in actuality is bad..so affect the health of the ranchu and the swim bladder membrane damaged. Swim bladder membrane damage is ireversible. IMHO your feeding style is not ideal for goldfishes...fbw ok but pellet food...feed less but more times...feeding goldfishes twice a day is not enough.

I don't believe in floating pellet or sinking pellet being good or bad for goldfishes...the health of the fish including the swim bladder most important...healthy fish with healthy swim bladder can take floating pellet and no issue. It is when the swim bladder is damaged and eating floating pellets and gas building up in the body cavity and a damaged swim bladder cannot function efficient enough to discharge the air that cause sbp.

Sometimes goldfishes might have temporary sbp(gas build up) bcos of overfeeding or bad water quality...adjusting the feeding and water change can help reduce floating..if swim bladder is still good...overfeeding causes more gas buildup and the fish swim bladdder cannot discharge the gas fast enough...stop feeding for half a day will help the gas build up to be released through good swim bladder. On the other hand if swim bladder that is already damaged, overfeeding which causes more gas buildup, the damaged swim bladder cannot discharge the gas build up and the fish will suffer and float and float endlessly.

ps...dont see the rational of adding salt every water change. Add baking soda is more correct and that help keep stabilise the PH as goldfishes do better in higher PH.
Start last week I tried to WC 30% every two days and feed only once in the evenng and with FBW. Let see how is the progress...whether the SBP for the affected fishes qty reduce or not.
leo lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #28
AdamC
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo lim View Post
Start last week I tried to WC 30% every two days and feed only once in the evenng and with FBW. Let see how is the progress...whether the SBP for the affected fishes qty reduce or not.
You have to find the balance for the number of fish, feeding frequency and water quality that works for you.
The higher the first two, you have to keep up with water change.
If you have to do WC so frequent where you start to feel like a slave to your fish, then the joy and fun of keeping fish will start to diminish.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #29
leo lim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
You have to find the balance for the number of fish, feeding frequency and water quality that works for you.
The higher the first two, you have to keep up with water change.
If you have to do WC so frequent where you start to feel like a slave to your fish, then the joy and fun of keeping fish will start to diminish.
Qty of fishes cannot change...
Feeding already reduce to night time.
WC ask my maid to change 2 big pails of water every alternate day, during my oversea trip..

Hope the fishes cannot recover and grow slowly.

Thinking of clearing all, then buy2 pcs of solid one and start re-keeping again.
leo lim is offline   Reply With Quote