Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 11-05-2018, 03:35 AM   #71
NI KI
Arofanatic

Player of the Season is our next award as voted for by supporters.

And the winner is... Mohamed Salah!

LFC Academy Player of the Season award now...

Harry Wilson is the winner!
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #72
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Mohamed Salah collects FWA Footballer of the Year award

Mohamed Salah was presented with the Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year award in London on Thursday evening - after making a dash to the capital from the Liverpool FC Players' Awards.

The Egyptian collected the Player of the Season and Players' Player of the Season accolades at the annual event at Anfield before heading down south to attend his second ceremony of the evening.

Salah picked up the FWA trophy having pipped Manchester City's Kevin de Bruyne and Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane to the prize, becoming the first African ever to win it in the process.

After 43 goals in 50 appearances for Liverpool this season, the No.11 was also named the Professional Footballers' Association's Player of the Year in April after winning a poll of his peers.

Academy striker Rhian Brewster was also present at the FWA dinner, and joined his teammate for the photograph above.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #73
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Mohamed Salah takes top prizes at LFC Players' Awards

Mohamed Salah was named Liverpool's star man for the season as the achievements of the first team, Academy, Ladies, legends and fans were celebrated at the 2018 LFC Players' Awards on Thursday night.

The No.11, who has so far scored 43 goals in 50 appearances since joining the club last summer, was voted Player of the Season by both the fans – in an online vote on Liverpoolfc.com – and by his teammates at Melwood.

The Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to the man who has played the most matches in the club’s history, Ian Callaghan, while the 1978 European Cup-winning Reds side were acknowledged with the Outstanding Team Achievement Award on the 40th anniversary of their triumph over FC Bruges at Wembley.

Trent Alexander-Arnold’s excellent season, which has included 11 games and two goals throughout the Reds’ run to the Champions League final, was rewarded with the Young Player of the Season accolade, and Harry Wilson claimed the Academy Player of the Season honour.

Goal of the Season – shortlisted by supporters and decided by an LFC panel – went to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for the midfielder’s stunning long-range blast during the European win against Manchester City at Anfield in April.

Gemma Bonner and Sophie Ingle were presented with the Ladies Player of the Season and Ladies Players’ Player of the Season awards respectively.

And there were special accolades for the Fans Supporting Foodbanks initiative, in the form of the Bill Shankly Community Award, and New South Wales as the official Supporters’ Club of the Season.

2018 LFC Players’ Awards winners

Player of the Season: Mohamed Salah
Players’ Player of the Season: Mohamed Salah
Ladies Player of the Season: Gemma Bonner
Ladies Players’ Player of the Season: Sophie Ingle
Young Player of the Season: Trent Alexander-Arnold
Academy Player of the Season: Harry Wilson
Goal of the Season: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain v Manchester City (April 4)
Bill Shankly Community Award: Fans Supporting Foodbanks
Lifetime Achievement Award: Ian Callaghan
Outstanding Team Achievement Award: 1978 European Cup-winning team
Supporters’ Club of the Season: New South Wales
Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #74
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Ox sends special message after winning Goal of the Season

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain labelled the strike that earned him Liverpool's Goal of the Season award 'one of the highlights of my career'.

The midfielder’s ferocious long-range drive against Manchester City in the Champions League quarter-final first leg at Anfield scooped the prize, which he received at Melwood on Thursday.

Following a fan vote, an expert panel determined that Oxlade-Chamberlain’s effort was worthy of the accolade ahead of Mohamed Salah’s stunning solo goal versus Tottenham Hotspur in February and the Egyptian’s classy opener against AS Roma last month.

The No.21 could not attend the Players’ Awards ceremony at Anfield as he continues his recovery from a knee injury that ended his campaign prematurely.

However, he recorded a special message after being presented with his trophy at the Reds’ training facility earlier in the day.

“Sorry I couldn’t be there tonight. I’ve got a good excuse with my knee… I’m able to put my feet up and relax. I wish I could be there,” he said.

“I just want to say a big thank-you to everyone who voted for me for Goal of the Season.

“It was definitely one of the highlights of my career to be able to score in a quarter-final of the Champions League with quite a special goal. It was definitely one of the highlights of my season.

“A big thank-you to everyone who voted me for that.

“To be able to contribute to the Champions League run has been fantastic – hopefully the boys can finish it off and get me a medal! Thanks again.”
Old 11-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #75
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Salah: It's a special season - but we have two finals to win

Mohamed Salah is targeting two massive wins to sign off an incredible debut season with Liverpool which was honoured by fans and teammates at the club's Players' Awards.

The Egyptian, scorer of 43 goals so far this term, picked up the Player of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season prizes at the annual event at Anfield on Thursday night.

But, with two crucial matches remaining this month, Salah was in no mood to rest on his laurels.

The Reds require a win or draw against Brighton and Hove Albion this weekend to secure Champions League qualification for next season, and then face Real Madrid in the 2018 showpiece in Kiev.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com after collecting his double accolade, Salah explained exactly how he hopes to garnish a ‘special’ first campaign in the coming weeks…

Congratulations on your awards. What does it mean to you?

It’s an honour, to honest. I’m very happy to win these awards, especially from the players and the fans. I’ve had a good season but without the players it would be very difficult. We’ve had unbelievable moments together and we’ve sacrificed every day to improve ourselves. We still have two games to go and we have to win them.

Only a ‘good’ season?!

I’ve had a very good season, all of us [have]. Now we are in the Champions League final and we have one [league] game to win or draw to be in the Champions League next year. So we have two finals and we have to think about that.

Who has helped you most in this fantastic season?

All of [the players]. I can’t say only one name because all of us try to help each other to improve ourselves, to give more and to push ourselves. We are a group. We fight [for success] every day in training and in the games.

How would you sum up the season?

I work hard to help the team score goals. I’m very happy about the season – let’s finish it in a good way.

What is the target in the final two games?

The target is to be in the Champions League next year and to win the Champions League in the last game. If you play a final, you can’t play to draw or lose – we’ll play to win the Champions League. But first we have Sunday; we have to think about that first to make sure we play in the Champions League next year. Then after we’ll play the final.

How special an occasion will the Champions League final be?

It’s a special season for me and all the players. It’s very special to play a final. Everyone is very excited. It’s not going to be easy, we know that, but we will give what we have 100 per cent to win the game. I’m very excited.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #76
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Mohamed Salah: This is just the start

Mohamed Salah insisted Liverpool's progression over the course of 2017-18 is 'just the start' as he outlined his happiness at Anfield.

The Reds have two more fixtures to play this campaign – a home encounter with Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday, in which they can seal a top-four finish, before the Champions League final against Real Madrid.

Nevertheless, regardless of the outcome of those matches, Salah senses this is just the beginning of a successful period for Liverpool.

"I'm very happy here, I'm very happy and everything is fine," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"We have two games now, starting with a game on Sunday. It's a very important game and then the Champions League final but I'm very happy here.

"Of course, I have got ambitions for the future with Liverpool. As you can see, we had a great season and now we are in the Champions League final and everyone is excited.

"This is just the start. This is my first year here and it is the same for some other players. I didn't watch all the games last season of the team but this year we have had an unbelievable year.

"We are very comfortable about playing in the Champions League next season. On the way to the final we beat top teams like Manchester City and Roma. It is just the beginning for this team."

Salah was speaking on the night he collected three individual accolades following a stunning debut season with Liverpool, in which he has registered 43 goals in just 50 appearances so far.

The Egyptian picked up the club's Player of the Season and Players' Player of the Season trophies at an event at Anfield on Thursday night before jetting south to be presented with the Football Writers' Association's Footballer of the Year award in London.

"I am very happy to win these awards," Salah continued. "I had a good season but without the help of my teammates it would have been very difficult.

"We still have two games to go and we want to win them to make it a very good season. We have two finals to play and that's what we are focused on.

"We all try to help each other. We all try to give more and we all try to push each other. We are a team who fight for each other every day.

"I work hard to help my team. Now I want to finish the season in a good way.

"We want to qualify for the Champions League next season and then we want to win the Champions League final. We will play to win against Real Madrid, but for now we are thinking only about Brighton. Then we will have 14 days to prepare for the final.

"It's always special to play in any final. We know it's not going to be easy. But we will give 100 per cent to win the game and I am very excited about it."
Old 11-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #77
elimmel
Senior Dragon

I pray for a point at least against Brighton with no injuries...
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #78
NI KI
Arofanatic

When does the summer transfer window open? - Here's when Jurgen Klopp can sign new Liverpool players

This summer will see plenty of changes to how the transfer window operates in the Premier League.

Last year saw the Premier League announce changes to ensure the window is closed before the new season begins on August 11, with clubs in the top flight having a vote last summer.

The thinking behind the decision was to minimise disruption to squads who are still wheeling and dealing well into the campaign.

FIFA rules dictate the window must be open for 12 weeks, which means the date Premier League clubs can begin to sign players has also been brought forward.

As ever, it is expected to be a busy one for Jurgen Klopp - here's all you need to know about when the Liverpool manager can begin to sign players for next season.

When does the window open?

The summer transfer window opens on Thursday May 17 , four days after current Premier League campaign ends.

However, that does not mean the Reds can sign a new player who will eligible for the Champions League final, with registration rules in place to prevent such a move.

When does the window close?

The window will close before the new Premier League season gets underway, meaning all the transfer deadline circus will be done and dusted on Thursday August 9 at 5pm, as opposed to August 31.

However, even though clubs won't be able to bring players in after August 9, they can still offload them up until the usual August 31 deadline.

With the World Cup running from June 14 to July 15, time is of the essence for Premier League bosses this summer.

Expect some to get in early and secure some of their deals before the tournament starts in Russia next month.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #79
NI KI
Arofanatic

Who will Liverpool be looking at?

With a Champions League final still be played on May 26, Klopp is unlikely to have transfer talk at the forefront of his mind at present.

There is also the small matter of a huge clash with Brighton on the final day this Sunday which Liverpool need to win in order to secure their place in next season's Champions League.

With that being said, when thoughts eventually turn to the summer window, Klopp could be looking to finally land a replacement for Philippe Coutinho.

The Brazil international left for £142million back in January, and reports this weekend suggested an agreement had been struck for Lyon playmaker Nabil Fekir.

Both Lyon and Liverpool have since distanced themselves from such talk, but the gifted Frenchman is an interesting option for the No.10 role.

Liverpool are regularly linked with a new goalkeeper too, with Roma's Alisson the most prominent. It remains to be seen if Klopp will sanction a big-money swoop for the Brazilian shot-stopper though.

One player who will certainly be making the move to Anfield is Naby Keita. The Guinea international will move from RB Leipzig on July 1.

Who could be leaving?

The prospect of Emre Can remaining a Liverpool player beyond this summer appears remote.

Juventus are his most likely destination and the futures of Divock Origi and Daniel Sturridge are also in question.

Neither have overly impressed during the loan spells with Wolfsburg and West Brom respectively and it will be interesting to see what happens next at Anfield.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #80
NI KI
Arofanatic