Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .S1 View Post
Why not Bro Sloke? Just like Bro Foldem said which I agreed totally. FX5 is one of the 'BEST' mechanical filtration. It is easy to wash and auto prime rocks. Never had back breaking experience with it every 6 months when I wash.

I am not too worried about it as the biological filtration (I can say it works well too which I have tested), anyway my tank has lots of gravels for the BBs to run around
i believe bro sloke have a cabinet.. same issue as me.

the pipe inside the canister bucket is too long, so i have drag the whole canister out of the cabinet before i can remove the cover. that is one helluva tedious task. so.. i never maintained my fx5
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
sloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
Bro WiNd.feNg, you are absolutely right. I have a cabinet. That is the headache about putting a filter canister which I am having too.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloke View Post
Bro WiNd.feNg, you are absolutely right. I have a cabinet. That is the headache about putting a filter canister which I am having too.
yeap, if you have cabinet just go for sump.. no second thoughts haha..

i have no choice as my tank set was second hand so i used a fx5... nevertheless it didn't disappoint me at all in terms of performance and noise level
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post

the pipe inside the canister bucket is too long, so i have drag the whole canister out of the cabinet before i can remove the cover. that is one helluva tedious task. so.. i never maintained my fx5
Just to share, mine is a cabinet too and I will also need to drag my canister out to wash too. Here is how I make the task lighter.

1. With the FX5 still running, close the INLET of the Aquastop Valves to stop the water flowing from tank into FX5.

Aquastop Valve

2. With the FX5 still running, slowly remove the INLET Aquastop Valves from the FX5 and introduce air into the FX5. Water continues to be push from FX5 to tank from the OUTLET as the pump is right at the bottom of the FX5. Let as much water be pump back into the tank. (Water within the canister will not be coming out from the INLET as air is rushing in.)

3. With the FX5 still running, close the OUTLET of the Aquastop Valves to stop pushing water to the tank as well as to prevent water from back flow into the FX5.

4. Power off the FX5 and remove the OUTLET Aquastop Valves from the FX5.

5. Now you can easily pull the FX5 out from the cabinet without the connecting hoses and the FX5 is lighter where at least 30% of the canister water had been send back to the tank. (In addition you can use the purge valve drain at its base. This makes it possible for you to empty the canister for maintenance before moving it.)

Purge Valve

6. To facilitate the canister to be pulled out easily, I always placed a piece of clothe beneath the canister to push in or pull it out easily. Alternatively, you can buy those Teflon easy glider bumper from any DIY shop and stick beneath your canister.

7. Wash and fill back at least 50% of water into the FX5. I usually fill 80%.

8. Connect back the Aquastop Valves for both INLET and OUTLET to the FX5.

9. After both valves are connected back to the FX5, open the valves to allow water to back flow from tank into the FX5 to fill it up.

10. Power ON the FX5 and auto prime will take over operations, stopping after 2 minutes to allow any air trap within the FX5 to move to the top and the pump will resume operations again after 2 minutes to purge the air from the canisters. This process repeats every 24hours to remove air automatically within the FX5.

Cheers,
S1
.S1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
kpchua
Arofanatic

Good sharing from S1 and I am also using cabinet tank and also practice most of the points above. Point 6 greatly reduces the effort.
kpchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #26
.S1
Dragon

Smile FOC: Giving 2 x FX5 Canisters

Dear All,

Been an amazing journey having this hobby. Still loving this hobby! Due to work commitment, have to temporarily find another less time consuming hobby .

I have de-comm my tank last month and the 2 x FX5 canisters are still in perfect working condition running 24x7 since July 2006. As I am not able to post in the Marketplace. Here is the thread which I have shared how reliable this FX-5 had been.

The intent is not for anyone to collect FOC and sell. The intent is to help fellow hobbyist here to have a great filter, creating a clean water to provide for your fishes, esp for those who cannot afford. To learn and understand how external canisters provides Mechanical & Biological filtration. This comes with the entire setup including the hoses and clips etc which I have carefully wash and pack for easy transportation.

Kindly let me know if you are interested here and if you can to share why you need it. I do reserve the right to decide who to give it too. OK? Thank you.

I hope this does not violate any forum updated rules. If it does, would appreciate the kind admin to let me know or delete this thread if need to. Thank you for all your support to take great care of your fishes.

Cheers,
S1
Old 02-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #27
k1ngph1l

Quote:
Dear All,

Been an amazing journey having this hobby. Still loving this hobby! Due to work commitment, have to temporarily find another less time consuming hobby .

I have de-comm my tank last month and the 2 x FX5 canisters are still in perfect working condition running 24x7 since July 2006. As I am not able to post in the Marketplace. Here is the thread which I have shared how reliable this FX-5 had been.

The intent is not for anyone to collect FOC and sell. The intent is to help fellow hobbyist here to have a great filter, creating a clean water to provide for your fishes, esp for those who cannot afford. To learn and understand how external canisters provides Mechanical & Biological filtration. This comes with the entire setup including the hoses and clips etc which I have carefully wash and pack for easy transportation.

Kindly let me know if you are interested here and if you can to share why you need it. I do reserve the right to decide who to give it too. OK? Thank you.

I hope this does not violate any forum updated rules. If it does, would appreciate the kind admin to let me know or delete this thread if need to. Thank you for all your support to take great care of your fishes.

Cheers,
S1
Wow. So nice of you to give these away. Great filters. I am running 5 of them!
k1ngph1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #28
infoate
Arofanatic

Quote:
Dear All,

Cheers,
S1
Hi S1,

I am interested in the canisters. I have been using Eheim since day one and would love the opportunity to try the FX-5 out as I've heard wonders about it. I am currently looking for additional canisters for my bottom tier tank as an OHF is unable to fit. So canisters are the only way to enhance the filtration .

Cheers!
infoate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #29
Vitor
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoate View Post
Hi S1,

I am interested in the canisters. I have been using Eheim since day one and would love the opportunity to try the FX-5 out as I've heard wonders about it. I am currently looking for additional canisters for my bottom tier tank as an OHF is unable to fit. So canisters are the only way to enhance the filtration .

Cheers!
now already FX6 liao.
more better more energy saving. else everything v similar.
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #30
.S1
Dragon

Dear All,

Sorry for the slow response. Been very busy lately. I am overwhelmed with the response. Frankly it is also hard to choose who to give. But I will have to decide and will call those I have decided to give to, by FAITH.

I will contact those whom I have decided to give to by Friday, 9pm latest. No hard feelings hor, please enjoy this wonderful hobby and love your fishes!

Cheers,
S1