Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 19-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
hengyi86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tct View Post
All Bro/Sis

Thank u all for yur prompt reply & feedback. I dun use bio filter in the keeping. Unfortunately, I cant afford alternate day wc to instill water quality due to other commitments. Currently, my routine is 2 wc per week. However, I realised that ammonia can be high after 1-2 days for 5-6 times feedings daily.
have to use bio filter de. better if not just keep wc thas the only way..
Old 19-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
hengyi86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpchua View Post
I had Biohome, Biohome Plus, Eheim Substrate Pro and CR in my FX-5 cannister filter. Dosed BB and AmGuard as well during ammonia spike also did not help much.
I did not know what cause the bio crash as WC are always done the same way. However I think zeolite should only be used as the last way to remove ammonia fast and to bring the filtration back to operational.
I belong to the old school of adding salt during WC so would caution all those who use this since sometimes it become a habit and we forgot what we added into the filter.
i was just thinking maybe you added new fish thus overstocked? or your PH crashed and killed the BB. hope you find your solution soon
Old 19-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
WoodStock13

how to reuse zeolite?
Old 20-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
tct

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyi86 View Post
have to use bio filter de. better if not just keep wc thas the only way..
Thanks Bro. Perhaps that's the best way for the moment to increase the wc one more time. What about remaing 2 wc per week with topping new water in between? Does it help?
Old 20-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
kitsilano

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tct View Post
Thanks Bro. Perhaps that's the best way for the moment to increase the wc one more time. What about remaing 2 wc per week with topping new water in between? Does it help?
Bro tct....the key here is observation of your fishes. Fishes in relationship to the tub size....observe the swimming behaviour of your fishes after 1 day water change...2 days after water change...3 days after water change etc. Eventually you will have a feel of when the water condition deteriorate and need to water change. This is for 100% water change without filter which I practice.

I am never comfortable with filter and I used zeolite,biohome,coral chips, etc etc before. The thing is... with filtration the water can be crystal clear and don't smell bad and the fishes can fall sick especially Jap ranchus (Imho are more sensitive to water condition)
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
chris

Bro tct, there are many other factors that can affect your water perimeter, most of us only concern abt filter media, water change etc... But 1 observation I noted is tat temperature n air ard your tub plays a part.
Old 20-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
tct

Bro Kit/ Chris,

Thank you for your valuable advice. The thing is that the water seemed clean and doesnt smell and the fishes are actively eating... Perhaps, it is aided by the windy condition at my area that blown away the smell. But when I started to test the water lately, the ammonia measured high indicating bad water quality. I should test it reguarly and observe the fishes more frequently to ascertain the rite wc.
Old 21-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #18
small_ranchu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR View Post
Bro,
I have a better solution! Change water, 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsilano View Post
Bro tct....the key here is observation of your fishes. Fishes in relationship to the tub size....observe the swimming behaviour of your fishes after 1 day water change...2 days after water change...3 days after water change etc. Eventually you will have a feel of when the water condition deteriorate and need to water change. This is for 100% water change without filter which I practice.

I am never comfortable with filter and I used zeolite,biohome,coral chips, etc etc before. The thing is... with filtration the water can be crystal clear and don't smell bad and the fishes can fall sick especially Jap ranchus (Imho are more sensitive to water condition)
I love these idea and this is what I am doing as well.
Old 21-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #19
average_cc

I stay off zeolite because of the risks involve if not use properly.....
Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
TOFUUUUUU
Dragon

Maybe you can reduce feeding?
TOFUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote