Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
VSKH
Senior Dragon
 
VSKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,114
Default Has keeping Arowana becoming less popular?

I was quite active in this forum but gave up this hobby in 2005. Was passing Clementi C328 so just pop in to see some Arowanas. I was quite surprised to see a big drop in price for XB. Selling at about $388. That was the going price for an RTG back in 2005.

So why the drop in prices?

Increased supply and decreased demand?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VSKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Arosub
Dragon
 
Arosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSKH View Post
I was quite active in this forum but gave up this hobby in 2005. Was passing Clementi C328 so just pop in to see some Arowanas. I was quite surprised to see a big drop in price for XB. Selling at about $388. That was the going price for an RTG back in 2005.

So why the drop in prices?

Increased supply and decreased demand?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Increased supply of XB....
Arosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
VSKH
Senior Dragon
 
VSKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arosub View Post
Increased supply of XB....


Thanks! How come increased supply? What about other breeds like Reds?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VSKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Arosub
Dragon
 
Arosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSKH View Post
Thanks! How come increased supply? What about other breeds like Reds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Malaysia managed to increase the supply of XBs. For Reds , the price is pretty stable from 800 - 2000 ?

Hope this help
Arosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
VSKH
Senior Dragon
 
VSKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arosub View Post
I think Malaysia managed to increase the supply of XBs. For Reds , the price is pretty stable from 800 - 2000 ?



Hope this help


Thanks for that information!

Do you rear Aros? If yes, what breed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VSKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
millenium
Senior Dragon
 
millenium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,492
Default

Keeping fishes in general has become less popular.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
NI KI
Arofanatic
 
NI KI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 168
Default

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
VSKH
Senior Dragon
 
VSKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,114
Default

Thanks for the video and the comments! Still donít think Iíll keep aros for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VSKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
KCUF2
Arofanatic
 
KCUF2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 197
Default

For myself, I still love the arowanas.

Previously, I kept a aro for almost 5 years. initially it was fun, but the water changing & cleaning filters is a nightmare. Every week i have to set aside almost 2 - 3 hours just for this.

It doesn't help that the tank is 6 feet big.

Since then, I stopped keeping fish totally. I cant afford to spend so much time on the maintenance.
KCUF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
VSKH
Senior Dragon
 
VSKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,114
Default Has keeping Arowana becoming less popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUF2 View Post
For myself, I still love the arowanas.



Previously, I kept a aro for almost 5 years. initially it was fun, but the water changing & cleaning filters is a nightmare. Every week i have to set aside almost 2 - 3 hours just for this.



It doesn't help that the tank is 6 feet big.



Since then, I stopped keeping fish totally. I cant afford to spend so much time on the maintenance.

Yes, I felt the same way about the weekly water changes too. Plus Iím a perfectionist when it comes to Aros. No PLJ or drooping eyes. My water maintenance standard was not top-notch so my last Aro, a TY had slight tail rot. I managed to find some old posts of mine from AF of my 3 Aros; a TKL, an RTG and a TY.....all probably in Aro-heaven now....haha!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by VSKH; 28-09-2019 at 02:51 PM.
VSKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)