Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
kamino

Default Java moss in Non-CO2 tank

Hi brothers,

Need an advice here.
I have recently read up on the Dry Start method which is fantastic for growing HC as carpet.

However, it is suggested that CO2 injection is required after the water is filled up else the HC will melt. Because I am thinking of going for low light low tech setup (non-CO2) I guess HC is out of my option already. But the article also suggest that Java moss can be grown fast using the Dry Start method. Since Java moss is not demanding on CO2, I am wondering whether I can grow them fast using this method then fill up water and without CO2 injection. Will the moss die off or melt? Thanks alot!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
fran003
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamino View Post
Hi brothers,

Need an advice here.
I have recently read up on the Dry Start method which is fantastic for growing HC as carpet.

However, it is suggested that CO2 injection is required after the water is filled up else the HC will melt. Because I am thinking of going for low light low tech setup (non-CO2) I guess HC is out of my option already. But the article also suggest that Java moss can be grown fast using the Dry Start method. Since Java moss is not demanding on CO2, I am wondering whether I can grow them fast using this method then fill up water and without CO2 injection. Will the moss die off or melt? Thanks alot!
Java moss not need injection CO2 to grow, it can grow well without co2 injection because I myself try it before.
fran003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
amkbettafan
Dragon

if you are referring to Diana Walstad's write up, you are on the right track.

i have been experimenting (and still am) on growing plants "low-tech" method.

just buy a small 1 gallon tank and add the right amount of substrate and buy cheap local plants and just grow it.

btw, DW recommend those plants that are emergent, so, if you can get hold of some emergent plants, it's a good start.
amkbettafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
mincedmeat

I think the only problem for you will be when you start to flood the tank, the moss will start floating because it doesn't have much to root into. You might want to look into this aspect before deciding to go with the moss.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
edng

i have not tried it but I am sure that the farm grows java moss emersed (at least partially)

this is from experience buying directly from a couple of farms ....... a few times when i bought java moss direct from the farm and when i got home and opened up the bag ..... i notice that I usually get HUGE single pieces of java moss carpets with soil still attached at the bottom

will take some photos of some of my java moss 'slabs' this evening or tomorrow to share if i have the time

some in 2sq inch some in even 6-7 sq inch in size ...... a few of these java moss 'slabs' .... I just put the whole slab in a tank without substrate ..... the rest of it, after washing the soil off , i find the water bucket has alot of soil deposits .... and I mean LOTS

so yes i do believe growing java moss emersed is possible ..... if u are nervous then try it in low immersion (eg 3-4cm of water) or HALF emersed and see how lor ....
Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
edng

Quote:
Originally Posted by mincedmeat View Post
I think the only problem for you will be when you start to flood the tank, the moss will start floating because it doesn't have much to root into. You might want to look into this aspect before deciding to go with the moss.
??? I've yet to see floating java moss ..... unless they were kept at the surface after tangling with floaters
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edng View Post
i have not tried it but I am sure that the farm grows java moss emersed (at least partially)

this is from experience buying directly from a couple of farms ....... a few times when i bought java moss direct from the farm and when i got home and opened up the bag ..... i notice that I usually get HUGE single pieces of java moss carpets with soil still attached at the bottom

will take some photos of some of my java moss 'slabs' this evening or tomorrow to share if i have the time

some in 2sq inch some in even 6-7 sq inch in size ...... a few of these java moss 'slabs' .... I just put the whole slab in a tank without substrate ..... the rest of it, after washing the soil off , i find the water bucket has alot of soil deposits .... and I mean LOTS

so yes i do believe growing java moss emersed is possible ..... if u are nervous then try it in low immersion (eg 3-4cm of water) or HALF emersed and see how lor ....
Java moss living out of water is indeed possible. As long as it stays wet, I've had Java moss creeping out of my tank via a diftwood which sticks out of water.