Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 01-02-2005, 12:47 AM   #61
decentkid

This is a good point. This is also the time when u realise your skill level. Check w senior reefers. or u may want to check w friendly lfs owners. perhaps u could ask Henry from Marine life that qn. you could of course take a look at his skimmer.
Be aware that the skimmer removes waste, it does not perform biological filtration. thus, it does not break waste down.
If u say u are going empty, without liverocks/ sand/ or any chemical filtration, than i say that the skimmer should be big.

last part of the nitrogen cycle converts NO3 to N2....but skimmers prevents the breaking down of proteins and other materials to become ammonia which is the start of the nitrogen cycle....snail spawning and clam spawning is an added bioload in case you are unaware of

another interestin point, but the skimmer is not the solution to things. how can large organic waste be collected if u add your livestock slowly and wisely?
An efficient skimmer is one that can meet your needs. an overefficeint skimmer supercedes what u need and this is the qn.

an efficient skimmer is one that can meet your needs....but is not want that can save your tank in times of emergencies

dun understand what u are saying here

in summary what i am saying is that...u can save cumulative mishaps but not sudden

yeah...my philosophy is that i dun look at tank crashes and how to prevent it. my philosophy is to learn and understand what u are doing before u do anything. E.g. before i add a fish, i will check on its needs and behaviour and compatibility. thus i minimise fights and deaths. As for corals, i place them according to species and territorail attributes. there are no coral wars.
In short, alot of things can be prevented if u know what u are doing and u are patient in husbandary. did u check for flatworms before introducing a euphyllia coral, did u qt the fish before intro to tank? If u done all these with passion and discipline, alot of sudden deaths can be prevented. inconclusive, we cannot include fish diseases that are unseen to the naked eye and stress factors to the death of the specimen.

then in this case you can be God??
u can stop snail and clam spawing....can prevent murderous hitch hikers...can prevent rock slides...can prevent chiller from spoiling...can prevent power shortages??

in nature, corals spawn during seasons. in the reef tank, they spawn at ultimate conditions. and they will take care of themselves. corals do not spawn as a way of commiting suicide, if thats what u meant. i dunno why DOC and coral spawning can relate?

the eggs and sperm from spawning when start to decompose can become DOCs...fail your bio???

the ferari example was mentioned in relation to over sized chillers.
Your qn is an issue pertaining to the metd and concept of skimming
R u trying to compare downdraft/ venturi/ needlewheel/ beckett etc etc .. types of skimmers and the bubble size they produce??
i dun understand how u can over utilise the bubbles shud u have an over-sized skimmer.
put simply, why does tha beckett skimmer have so many sizes huh?

thats not my point..
i am trying to say that ferari has nothing to do with the skimmer
the engine is the thing that judges and drives the car...but for a skimmer...what judges it is the bubble size and reaction time....reaction time is something you cant change...

so if under utilisation of the ferari egine will cause it to spoil....will under utilisation of the bubble spoil the skimmer?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #62
spsman

Default final reply to u

[QUOTE=devilfire]whether water changing is difficult or easy, stil it's part of a good husbandry routine. by telling ppl(esp newbies) tat u hav not made a single water change throughout the mths or years n u using an juz nice skimmer, u r setting out a bad example.
suppose u r not even willing 2 change water 4 9-10 tks, y keep so many 4 wat?
u know of any secret? tat's great 4 u. hav u try it n apply it? yes? show ur setup then. a few reefers here oso wonder y u hav not shown ur setup ever since u joined.
u dun 1 2 show off? or u dun find it neccessary? then y bother 2 share ur reviews?

BTW, there's tis great guy 2 many work alone, change his 10 over tks water alone

[QUOTE=spsman]water changing is your personal regiment. but the question here is about the need to oversize a skimmer and the removal of trace elements due to over-skimming. which u have not answered yet. Whether u keep AT or damsels, it does not matter at all. It does not even matter if u manage to keep a shark.
Quote:

JON, hav u ever tried keeping an AT?? YES? then pls show a pic plssss. everyone here knows i love 2 see reefers' pics of their AT.
NO??no wonder.wat bro losmandy said is true. fr my personnal experience, keeping an AT without powerful skimming n water changes will stress tat beauty in 1 way or another.
u think u r confident 2 keep 1 without either 1 of the 2? show me then. i'll salute u in time 2 come.
oh c'mon, is keeping an AT a big deal? hey if u are good, you are good. brace up. Btw, now u are challenging me to keep an AT? why do u have to drift frm topic to topic. from oversizing to water changes to asking for my setup to challenging me to keep AT. can i dun answer your next qn, bro... Can u spare me of the misery??? dun wish to be rude by not replying but your qns are endless and argumentative.

have a good cny.. start it with a smile. cheerz
Old 01-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #63
nim75sg

Anyway there is no skimmer who can skims everything out of the water and IMO, the skimmer only helps to a certain extent of removing nitrates.

And really appreciate if someone can let us know if there's one skimmer who can sucks all or 90% of the DOC so that all reefers who are using the denitrator can lelong or have a garage or garang guni sales

No more worries about Nitrates
Old 01-02-2005, 12:53 AM   #64
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
well....then corals do spawn...
but in your case...the chances of sudden mishaps is lesser....which is a good thing...
but at least u still see the advantages of having oversized equipments....
With a lunar tracker, my corals still cannot spawn and most likely that they are all "Ah Qua".

Better check their sex tomoro.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:54 AM   #65
decentkid

Default this is also my final reply

IMO....an over rated skimmer can save you in times of emergency....
but if your bioload is low like what bro roidan said...then getting a skimmer though rate lower then your tank volume is ok...as i believe the skimmer you are getting will still be over rated compared to your present bioload
Old 01-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #66
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsman
oh c'mon, is keeping an AT a big deal? hey if u are good, you are good. brace up. Btw, now u are challenging me to keep an AT? why do u have to drift frm topic to topic. from oversizing to water changes to asking for my setup to challenging me to keep AT. can i dun answer your next qn, bro... Can u spare me of the misery??? dun wish to be rude by not replying but your qns are endless and argumentative.
i'm not saying keeping an AT is a big deal n i'm not challenging u 2 keep 1. u sounded as if u keep an AT b 4, n u sounded like keeping AT is easy.
i'm drifting fr topic 2 topic? i wonder who brought up the topic of a ferrari tat leads 2 a chain of so many topic 2 topic.
endless??? urs too
Old 01-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #67
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by losmandy
side track abit.... devilfire you from the navy?
yes i am... i've been studying n working on engines 4 the past 10 yrs n someone here is trying to bullshit abt engines.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #68
losmandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
yes i am... i've been studying n working on engines 4 the past 10 yrs n someone here is trying to bullshit abt engines.
You know I know can already, sheesh...... "Oh I do not understand" kekekekekeke *pengz*
Old 01-02-2005, 01:07 AM   #69
Maculosus

I have been observing this thread from the start. From a topic about oversizing equipments for the tank to someone saying:

"driving a ferarri at 80 km/h will ruin its engine in time to come"

"I tried to buy oversized t-shirts when i was 5 years old, becos i wanted to be able to wear it later when i become 12. i looked really dashing...."

Weird analogy....
Old 01-02-2005, 01:10 AM   #70
spsman

Default g sense of humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
This is a good point. This is also the time when u realise your skill level. Check w senior reefers. or u may want to check w friendly lfs owners. perhaps u could ask Henry from Marine life that qn. you could of course take a look at his skimmer.
Be aware that the skimmer removes waste, it does not perform biological filtration. thus, it does not break waste down.
If u say u are going empty, without liverocks/ sand/ or any chemical filtration, than i say that the skimmer should be big.

last part of the nitrogen cycle converts NO3 to N2....but skimmers prevents the breaking down of proteins and other materials to become ammonia which is the start of the nitrogen cycle....snail spawning and clam spawning is an added bioload in case you are unaware of

another interestin point, but the skimmer is not the solution to things. how can large organic waste be collected if u add your livestock slowly and wisely?
An efficient skimmer is one that can meet your needs. an overefficeint skimmer supercedes what u need and this is the qn.

an efficient skimmer is one that can meet your needs....but is not want that can save your tank in times of emergencies

dun understand what u are saying here

in summary what i am saying is that...u can save cumulative mishaps but not sudden

yeah...my philosophy is that i dun look at tank crashes and how to prevent it. my philosophy is to learn and understand what u are doing before u do anything. E.g. before i add a fish, i will check on its needs and behaviour and compatibility. thus i minimise fights and deaths. As for corals, i place them according to species and territorail attributes. there are no coral wars.
In short, alot of things can be prevented if u know what u are doing and u are patient in husbandary. did u check for flatworms before introducing a euphyllia coral, did u qt the fish before intro to tank? If u done all these with passion and discipline, alot of sudden deaths can be prevented. inconclusive, we cannot include fish diseases that are unseen to the naked eye and stress factors to the death of the specimen.

then in this case you can be God??
u can stop snail and clam spawing....can prevent murderous hitch hikers...can prevent rock slides...can prevent chiller from spoiling...can prevent power shortages??

in nature, corals spawn during seasons. in the reef tank, they spawn at ultimate conditions. and they will take care of themselves. corals do not spawn as a way of commiting suicide, if thats what u meant. i dunno why DOC and coral spawning can relate?

the eggs and sperm from spawning when start to decompose can become DOCs...fail your bio???

the ferari example was mentioned in relation to over sized chillers.
Your qn is an issue pertaining to the metd and concept of skimming
R u trying to compare downdraft/ venturi/ needlewheel/ beckett etc etc .. types of skimmers and the bubble size they produce??
i dun understand how u can over utilise the bubbles shud u have an over-sized skimmer.
put simply, why does tha beckett skimmer have so many sizes huh?

thats not my point..
i am trying to say that ferari has nothing to do with the skimmer
the engine is the thing that judges and drives the car...but for a skimmer...what judges it is the bubble size and reaction time....reaction time is something you cant change...

so if under utilisation of the ferari egine will cause it to spoil....will under utilisation of the bubble spoil the skimmer?

there was once a man who went to the barber for a haircut. The barber ask him, "what kind of haircut do u want?" He thought for a while... puzzled and told the barber, "y dun u just cut it?" So the barber cut what he thought was nice.
after that is done, the man said that his skills were lousy becos he didn't like what the barber had done. he left the salon feeling grudgy.
What should the barber do?

[B]all i can say to u is it takes experience. nothing in life is a shortcut.If u think u are right, then so be it. but seriously why dun u ask marinelife like i just mentioned regarding his skimmer? why isn't he using the oversized eqpmt?[/B]
i am willing to help if u are sincere to know. but if u are asking me so as to prove u are right, then there is no point in conversation at all. What do u want me to say? and by the way, i am not God.

if u are intd to know more abt coral spawning, i can fwd u some links. but to date, not many occurences sucessfully recorded in reef tanks???
If u studied probability, u would calculate the chances yourself.