Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 08-09-2004, 01:50 AM   #71
ipccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
But what did he use to fire it up (1drop/sec)?
i think the air hose in the tube is the answer.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #72
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipccc
I have tried that but the salt is killing me. Not cheap, it will cost more in long run.
yah... salt is quite expensive... hahha
Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #73
bonjour2

Quote:
i think the air hose in the tube is the answer.

Yes , get a joint with a air hose fitting ( like those tat comes with Atman Pumps) and tee off from yr main piping either for returns and use a knob valve to control the flow rate. There is no need to buy those expensive Dosing pump which consume extra electricity for the insignificant flow rate.

I am also using the same DIY Denitrator that Chua_HS has made and it works fine , of cse on top of my Macro Denitrator.

Perhaps after 3 weeks or so of running , u may wish to test NO3 through the outlet of yr denitrator to see if it has kicked in. Many ppl get the wrong impression of testing through main tank to confirm if their Denitrator has started working. It will take time for the main tank NO3 to lower down..

Also , yr DIY denitrator will require feeding , juz like any commercial brands. U may wish to add some Deniballs bfore sealing off . In long term use , u can feed the system using bac food like Coralife or i heard tat Sugar works.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #74
ipccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Yes , get a joint with a air hose fitting ( like those tat comes with Atman Pumps) and tee off from yr main piping either for returns and use a knob valve to control the flow rate. There is no need to buy those expensive Dosing pump which consume extra electricity for the insignificant flow rate.

I am also using the same DIY Denitrator that Chua_HS has made and it works fine , of cse on top of my Macro Denitrator.

Perhaps after 3 weeks or so of running , u may wish to test NO3 through the outlet of yr denitrator to see if it has kicked in. Many ppl get the wrong impression of testing through main tank to confirm if their Denitrator has started working. It will take time for the main tank NO3 to lower down..

Also , yr DIY denitrator will require feeding , juz like any commercial brands. U may wish to add some Deniballs bfore sealing off . In long term use , u can feed the system using bac food like Coralife or i heard tat Sugar works.
Hi
Just to share the result since i DIY De-nitrator on 29/8/2004.

The ingredient as follow:
1)1.5kg of bio-homes(red colour)
2)Bacteria-Mr Aqua. It says Special "Denitrification" converts NH3/NH4 to NO2 to NO3 to Nitrogen gas.
3)SERA nitrafluid- daily dose 15drops per day.

First day result - 120ppm (see pic 1)
Today's result - 20ppm (see pic 2)
Old 12-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #75
devilfire

how did u compare the 1st day result against the chart?? the colour scheme is different.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #76
ipccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
how did u compare the 1st day result against the chart?? the colour scheme is different.
Hi
i thought i can compare the colour but the colour fade....after so many days.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:19 PM   #77
devilfire

Quote:
Hi

OIC....
Old 14-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #78
iori_del

Quote:
Hi
hi bro can i have a look at yr DIY? think of making one but dun know how to start, can i get advise from, u??
Old 15-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #79
ipccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iori_del
hi bro can i have a look at yr DIY? think of making one but dun know how to start, can i get advise from, u??
no problem.

I'm using 2 method. 1 for 2FT using "displacement type"
for 4FT using the "dry driping" method from the sump.

Will show u the 2FT method.
1)get a Resun 1000 FR and fill up with bio-home(1.5kg) or fill up with bio- ball which is cheaper.

2) Modified the inlet with a control valve to adjust the drip.
Must have 2 inlet, one for feeding one for driping.

3) Modified the outlet which must be lower than the inlet so that it can flow back to your tank.

4)From the control valve, joint a air hose to a power head for water to flow to inlet.

5) Add bacterial. One Sec/drop.

See pic. the black cap is feeding inlet.
The air tube is inlet control the drip, the other end will go to power head.
Old 15-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #80
ipccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iori_del
another picture show how it is run. the denitrator is use on my quarantine tank.