Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-05-2004, 12:59 AM   #11
devilfire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Hi Bro BarraCuda,
Didn't get what you mean...1)do you mean the return pump is not strong from Sump to Skimmer? I have not get any return pump , so perhaps for a powerhead to function the Weipro 2011 + accounting for the loss from the distance bet sump to the skimmer(hanging on main tank) , what is the estimated flow rate for pump?
I think worst to worst , might as well get a cheaper pump to run the weipro 2011?What is the recommended stand alone pump rate for this case? and the rate for return pump? Please advise.
the p/p recommended 4 a 2011 is 1200l/h. but i would advise 2 go 4 a 1500l/h.
if u gonna use the initial setup, i'm not not sure wat kind of flowrate u shd get.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 03:14 AM   #12
Navyblue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I strongly advice to use 2 separate pumps, to prevent things got expensive and complicated.

AT a head of 1.2-1.5 m which in most cases are, most pumps gets about half the max flowrate. So as I suggested, use one at least 4000L/H. May be you can use Weipro 6000 rated at 4900L/H if I am not mistaken for budget pump.

For Weipro 2011 I advice you to go for a 2000 L/H, I am using 2012 with 2500 L/H and feel that the skimmer can accomodate more flow than this, may be can take till 3500 L/H for 2012.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #13
bonjour2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
never consider a bigger sump? say..2x1.5x1.5.

whichever ur decision, juz make sure
1) the vol in ur main tk(between the top of the overflow pipe and the top of the main tk) is more than the vol(water) in the last compartment of the sump.
2) the sump is able 2 hold the siphon back water from the main tk(ur setup is unlikely 2 happen).
Hmm, now I am confused Bro DevilFire,
I try to post a diagram of my intended design of Overflow( or if you been to LCK110 ) , did you see the way the tanks are drilled and a PVC pipe attached , with the top portion connected to a conical shaped pvc. Yup mine overflow will be like that , w/o the additional glass partition enclosing the overflow like most tanks do(is that necessary?)
So my logic is drill a 25mm hole with a 25mm overflow pipe, a return pipe 20mm , and as the return pump pump water back into main , water overflow through the overflow pipe back into sump. How do I ensure 1) ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
Navyblue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I use 25 mm i.d. pipe for about 1500 L/H of flow and the water level is just at thr level of the intake, so if you are targetting 2000L/H you should be enough.

Before you want to know it is enough or not you need to know whjat flow you target first.

But not to worry too much as it can be compensated by lowering the water intake, just make sure your sump has enough capacity to hold the water above the intake once the pump is off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #15
bonjour2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue
I use 25 mm i.d. pipe for about 1500 L/H of flow and the water level is just at thr level of the intake, so if you are targetting 2000L/H you should be enough.

Before you want to know it is enough or not you need to know whjat flow you target first.

But not to worry too much as it can be compensated by lowering the water intake, just make sure your sump has enough capacity to hold the water above the intake once the pump is off.
Hi NavyBlue ,
Thanks for your reply. Hmm do you mean flow rate of pump at 2000l/h ? That's quite a strong pump. Also , do you think the 1.5ft by 1ft by 1ft sump is suitable for a main tank size 2.5ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft ? Please advise/
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
Navyblue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes, I mean an eventual flowrate of 2000 L/H after head loss. Which is about 10+ times turnover per hour. I am currently running at this flowrate and find that it is just nice. Not too strong at all. In fact I need extra circulation or else poops will be lying everywhere in the sand bed. Meaning you need a pump about 4000L/H before head loss. This is not a huge pump. But if you are using a powerhead then this is a huge powerhead.

For the sump size, get one that is as big as you can fit, and then you can have the luxury of keeping extra fishes. This is invaluable to me. I recommend using the standard 2 feet tank (can cost as low as $10), and use containers inside as the “compartment”. I personally do that, my filter media and DSB is placed in side some plastic container, those type where people use to store love letters during Chinese New Year, get the rectangular type instead of the round type and it will be just as neat. Further more you can get to “move around” your DSB when needed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #17
bonjour2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi NavyBlue, perhaps you can show a pic of the DIY Sump Tank. I have 1 2ft tank lying around...
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 10:21 PM   #18
devilfire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=Navyblue

For Weipro 2011 I advice you to go for a 2000 L/H, I am using 2012 with 2500 L/H and feel that the skimmer can accomodate more flow than this, may be can take till 3500 L/H for 2012.[/QUOTE]

can show a pic of the skimmate??

i believe a 3500l/h will b too great 4 a 2012.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #19
devilfire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Hmm, now I am confused Bro DevilFire,
I try to post a diagram of my intended design of Overflow( or if you been to LCK110 ) , did you see the way the tanks are drilled and a PVC pipe attached , with the top portion connected to a conical shaped pvc. Yup mine overflow will be like that , w/o the additional glass partition enclosing the overflow like most tanks do(is that necessary?)
So my logic is drill a 25mm hole with a 25mm overflow pipe, a return pipe 20mm , and as the return pump pump water back into main , water overflow through the overflow pipe back into sump. How do I ensure 1) ?
i never been there b 4 but i know wat u trying 2 explain.

now the question is: r u using 1 or 2 p/p??
  Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 10:38 PM   #20
devilfire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Hi NavyBlue ,
Thanks for your reply. Hmm do you mean flow rate of pump at 2000l/h ? That's quite a strong pump. Also , do you think the 1.5ft by 1ft by 1ft sump is suitable for a main tank size 2.5ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft ? Please advise/
there is no right or wrong as in wat size of sump u gonna use. generally, the bigger the better. a 1.5x1x1 is fine. if u can move 2 a 2.5x1.5x1.5, tat would b the best.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)