Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
murphys33
Arofanatic

if you have a sump, try using k1 kladness
murphys33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Framejumb0

Yes, K1 is highly efficient method. With adequate aeration, it will easily remove much NitrItes and Ammonia.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
juliustaking

Oh alright, thanks for the replies, but currently looking at medias that removes nitrates too.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Framejumb0

Biohome or any other media is not efficient to remove NitrAtes from water column. Removing NitrAtes (de-Nitrification) occurs only in Anaerobic conditions, means where there is no dissolved Oxygen in water. For this piurpose media should have deep porous structure and denitrification bacteria should grow in those pores. Then nitrifying bacteria on surface of media will consume all the Oxygen flowing around media and make anaerobic conditions to inside denitrifying bacteria.
To achieve this the flow rate must be lower than 200 l/h and have a suitable media like Seachem Matrix or Seachem Denitrate or JBL denitratex.

Easy way to remove NitrAte is wc. Or you can have a big group of plants that consume NitrAtes as nutrient. But plants are not an effective way to remove high NitrAte levels.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
andy_cy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framejumb0 View Post
Biohome or any other media is not efficient to remove NitrAtes from water column. Removing NitrAtes (de-Nitrification) occurs only in Anaerobic conditions, means where there is no dissolved Oxygen in water. For this piurpose media should have deep porous structure and denitrification bacteria should grow in those pores. Then nitrifying bacteria on surface of media will consume all the Oxygen flowing around media and make anaerobic conditions to inside denitrifying bacteria.
To achieve this the flow rate must be lower than 200 l/h and have a suitable media like Seachem Matrix or Seachem Denitrate or JBL denitratex.

Easy way to remove NitrAte is wc. Or you can have a big group of plants that consume NitrAtes as nutrient. But plants are not an effective way to remove high NitrAte levels.
Or build a coiled denitrator you know what i mean bro haha.

@TS: Yes i agree that using Biohome as a solution for nitrates isn't gonna help much. It will remove some of your nitrates but it will not remove all as your nitrates will build up faster than it is removed. Personally using Biohome here, not the best method to remove nitrates imo.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
emerson_chew

then what we do senior pls advice
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
alvinteekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliustaking View Post
Hello AF, can anyone kindly point out to me where can I buy these filter media ? Also, which one would you guys recommend me getting? ( my bioload is high) The red one, ultra, or normal ones? Kindly assist me, tyvm.
Red or grey doesn't matter. I got mine from pet mart. If u wanna know the price pm me. I got the 5kg pack. The difference betw red m grey is that the red has nutrients embedded in the media which allows the bb to colonize much quicker. The grey on the other hand doesn't have the nutrients. If u are adding biohome to a matured tank. Get the grey will do. The difference betw cost is abt 40 bucks. Well, if it's a new tank then get the red ones.

My bioload also consider high and I think it's more cost effective to get the 5kg bucket than the 1kg pack. We can chat more if u wanna learn/share more
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Framejumb0

Use Seachem Matrix to reduce some NitrAtes. It sure works. But don't expect a sudden drop. It will take time to grow Denitifying bb in Matrix and decrease NitrAte levels.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
yeo soon chai
Dragon

I would rather WC to take care if the nitrate.
yeo soon chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
gereld_hor
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeo soon chai View Post
I would rather WC to take care if the nitrate.
i agree.. water change is the easiest way to reduce nitrates
gereld_hor is offline   Reply With Quote