Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
khuancc
Arofanatic

I'm thinking of installing a RO unit just beside my tap and they are just besides my sump. Like that Gerald suggested, a pump with timer is used to drained off the water, I also have a dosing pump which I can control the exact amount for dosing anti-chlorine.

The sequence is agar agar like this..

1) pump drain water and sync with my dosing pump when pump stop. This timing must catch properly so I will not waste too much anti-chlorine.,. Hehe.
2) using those auto top up with water level sensor to top up ...

Dunno is it too complicated or not..

Else I think the simplest way is to ask tank maker drill one hole in my sump for draining. But how do I control anti chlorine dosing? Like that maybe no need to dose that?

One more thing to add, as mine is more for planted, I have also automated the dosing of fertilizers with dosing pump, with drip, maybe some of the ferts will be wasted also.. Although dosing ferts with diy ferts, but still quite a lot to dose... Haha.

Thanks man.

Last edited by khuancc; 14-04-2014 at 06:44 PM.
khuancc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
gereld_hor
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuancc View Post
I'm thinking of installing a RO unit just beside my tap and they are just besides my sump. Like that Gerald suggested, a pump with timer is used to drained off the water, I also have a dosing pump which I can control the exact amount for dosing anti-chlorine.

The sequence is agar agar like this..

1) pump drain water and sync with my dosing pump when pump stop. This timing must catch properly so I will not waste too much anti-chlorine.,. Hehe.
2) using those auto top up with water level sensor to top up ...

Dunno is it too complicated or not..

Else I think the simplest way is to ask tank maker drill one hole in my sump for draining. But how do I control anti chlorine dosing? Like that maybe no need to dose that?

One more thing to add, as mine is more for planted, I have also automated the dosing of fertilizers with dosing pump, with drip, maybe some of the ferts will be wasted also.. Although dosing ferts with diy ferts, but still quite a lot to dose... Haha.

Thanks man.
Bro,

Got to take note that the output of the RO unit will be pretty slow, so it will take quite awhile to fill up to the required level in ur main tank.

And if you are planning to install RO system, can save the effort of dosing anti-chlorine as the output is chlorine-free liao

If you do dripping method, you can actually do without the anti-chlorine and RO system (unless u need zero TDS)

Last edited by gereld_hor; 14-04-2014 at 06:49 PM.
gereld_hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
khuancc
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereld_hor View Post
Bro,

Got to take note that the output of the RO unit will be pretty slow, so it will take quite awhile to fill up to the required level in ur main tank.

And if you are planning to install RO system, can save the effort of dosing anti-chlorine as the output is chlorine-free liao

If you do dripping method, you can actually do without the anti-chlorine and RO system (unless u need zero TDS)
So either way no need anti chlorine?

For RO unit, can share how does the connector look like for connecting direct to tap? Or the connector to connect to the float switch?

Last edited by khuancc; 14-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 14-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
gereld_hor
Endangered Dragon

Quote:

For RO unit, can share how does the connector look like for connecting direct to tap? Or the connector to connect to the float switch?
If you use RO, confirm no need anti chlorine liao.

If you do dripping method without RO, most of the users wouldnt need to add anti chlorine.

for connection wise, normally its a 1/4" fitting, u might wan to check with your RO supplier
gereld_hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
wuga98
Arofanatic

bro: where to get a RO unit (i think it is a filter and a housing, correct?), remember reading a shop is selling them. I hope to be able to tap thru RO and into tank. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereld_hor View Post
If you use RO, confirm no need anti chlorine liao.

If you do dripping method without RO, most of the users wouldnt need to add anti chlorine.

for connection wise, normally its a 1/4" fitting, u might wan to check with your RO supplier
wuga98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
wuga98
Arofanatic

bro: started you project?, like to see you setup on this switch for auto refill. Thanks.

Quote:

wuga98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #17
copycat01

Quote:

With RO, you dont need anti chlorine - RO basically remove all minerals from the water. You may need to add some minerals into the water if you are doing planted tank.

After reading your thread, I think you are going into a very complicate system

why not have a holding tank with a floating ball to stop the flow of water. (You may want to check out ur toliet bowl. Remove the lip of your toliet bowl and you will notice a float ball inside (At least that what my toliet bowl is)

Since you have a dosing pump, you could do a continous dosage using a fixed stroke. The question would than be you would need a storage tank for your anti chlorine.
Old 23-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #18
khuancc
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuga98 View Post
bro: started you project?, like to see you setup on this switch for auto refill. Thanks.
Nope, still at the planning stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat01 View Post
With RO, you dont need anti chlorine - RO basically remove all minerals from the water. You may need to add some minerals into the water if you are doing planted tank.

After reading your thread, I think you are going into a very complicate system

why not have a holding tank with a floating ball to stop the flow of water. (You may want to check out ur toliet bowl. Remove the lip of your toliet bowl and you will notice a float ball inside (At least that what my toliet bowl is)

Since you have a dosing pump, you could do a continous dosage using a fixed stroke. The question would than be you would need a storage tank for your anti chlorine.
Having a holding tank may not be an option cos the space I have is reserved for my chiller.

Since there will be a tap maybe just right beside my sump, I think maybe it will be easier to use a pressure valve and float switch?

The flow is something like this,
1) timer to the pump for draining water. Say 15mins.
2) adjust the float switch in such a way that it will be activated before pump stops at 15mins, and this will activate the valve to on my tap to top up water.
3) dosing pump to dose anti chlorine when pump stops.

Something like this you think can work?
Old 23-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
copycat01

Quote:
Nope, still at the planning stage.

Having a holding tank may not be an option cos the space I have is reserved for my chiller.

Since there will be a tap maybe just right beside my sump, I think maybe it will be easier to use a pressure valve and float switch?

The flow is something like this,
1) timer to the pump for draining water. Say 15mins.
2) adjust the float switch in such a way that it will be activated before pump stops at 15mins, and this will activate the valve to on my tap to top up water.
3) dosing pump to dose anti chlorine when pump stops.

Something like this you think can work?
you are putting programming into the system. it may work but if there a power failure then ....
also addition cost for the controls
Old 25-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
sirwin81
Senior Dragon

If I may share my experience on this.
1.I have a 4500lph pump on timer to drain the water out - set to run 30 minutes daily ( gives me about 30% wc due to the height of the fgt)
2. at the end of the FGT I use the floating system to add water back into the tank. It takes about 3-4 hours to add the 30% back
3. My problem is on the chlorine part. What I have learned from my friend is that by installing a carbon filter ( of 4 feet high) I can fully removed the chlorine - tested by a few of my friends already. So I got myself a carbon filter from a friend and it will be installed this coming Tuesday.
4.As of now I m still using antichlorine.Draining of water is set to 30 minutes before I reach home so that by the time I reach home I can immediately add the antichlorine

With the installation of the carbon filter I will be able to automate my fgt wc regime
sirwin81 is offline   Reply With Quote