Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #41
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumchoy View Post
actually 4x turnover is more than sufficient and i find it to be at optimum. If its too fast, your BB may not have enough cycletime to breakdown the NH4 and NO2. Adding a wavemaker is for circulation of water in the tank and to reduce deadspots in tank, dont think it helps to increase flowrate and additional filtration in that sense.
i guess up to own preference.. hmm.. if its too fast, what happen to those BBs in baki showers?
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #42
Magnumchoy
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
i guess up to own preference.. hmm.. if its too fast, what happen to those BBs in baki showers?
depends on the number of trays it flows through i guess. if just 1 tray alone will be insufficient? so the more the better of course
Magnumchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #43
bennyliv
Dragon

Guys, when using a sump is the flowrate determine by the powerhead pump?

By having more trays for a OHF system, will this reduce the flowrate?
bennyliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #44
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riise78 View Post
Think its ard $380 at Seaview.
Can check it out there bro.
Thanks bro, can share your experiencer of using fx5 n y change? Understand u jus sold ur set.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #45
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumchoy View Post
actually 4x turnover is more than sufficient and i find it to be at optimum. If its too fast, your BB may not have enough cycletime to breakdown the NH4 and NO2. Adding a wavemaker is for circulation of water in the tank and to reduce deadspots in tank, dont think it helps to increase flowrate and additional filtration in that sense.

Agreed on this, 4x turnover is just nice.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #46
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyliv View Post
Guys, when using a sump is the flowrate determine by the powerhead pump?

By having more trays for a OHF system, will this reduce the flowrate?
Yes, flowrate is determined by your pump. More trays & more media means more resistance and hence reduces your flowrate
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #47
riise78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Thanks bro, can share your experiencer of using fx5 n y change? Understand u jus sold ur set.
I change cos I'm keeping plecos which bioload is quite significant. Tired of having to wash the sponge in canister almost every 2-3 weeks else water will be brownish.
Also it's medias capacity is not enough to support my growing plecos comm.

Therefore had switched to 9 trays OHF for mechanical filtration plus 1 Atman CF1200 canister w/o wool for biological filtration.
Now washing/changing of wool for OHF is a breeze.
riise78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #48
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riise78 View Post
I change cos I'm keeping plecos which bioload is quite significant. Tired of having to wash the sponge in canister almost every 2-3 weeks else water will be brownish.
Also it's medias capacity is not enough to support my growing plecos comm.

Therefore had switched to 9 trays OHF for mechanical filtration plus 1 Atman CF1200 canister w/o wool for biological filtration.
Now washing/changing of wool for OHF is a breeze.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I read some reviews of this fx5, most common complains is the limited media capacity n sponge cannot capture fine dirt. Some has successfully mod the fx5 to solve this 2 issues. In fact the glow rate when full packed is not so high as claim.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #49
Spakase

Quote:
the recommanded turn over rate is 6 - 10times. so 522 at 90% full is 500l.. to get at least 6 times turn over rate u need 3000l/hr of flow.. fx5 is rated at 2300l/hr, when its packed with media, should be around 2000l/hr.. thats only 4 turn over rate.. add a wave maker to increase flowrate and will thus increase filtration rate since more poo and water will be filtered away.
A few questions:
1. Does this flowrate of 2300 litres/hour include media packed into the filter? Likely no, as pointed out above.

2. Does this flowrate apply to all heights (the distance between the top of the tank and your filter pump). I think most would indicate the flowrate and the maximum delivery head. The latter refers to the highest point it can pump to,but it does mean the flowrate is consistent at 2300 litre/hour at all heights. Obviously at higher points, the flowrate will be reduced significantly. The loss in flowrate due to height is called "headloss".

Although the published flowrate for a filter could be, for eg 2300litre/hour, in actual fact, when we take into account the above two factors, it could only be a fraction. Any turns in the piping would reduce flowrate as well.

Hence, when we base our estimates purely on the cannister flowrate, we are being overly optimistic.

There is a cost to how much turnover we want for our tanks, in terms of more filters deployed, higher wattage (more electricity), etc. The optimal turnover differs for each tank, and will be one in which the tank will be effectively filtered:
Mechanical filtration (free of particles)
Biological filtration (free of ammonia & nitrite)
For eg in a low bioload tank, TO can be lower without harm to the fishes, whereas in a high bioload tank, it's better to have at least 4 times TO, and if possible even higher as it is difficult to calculate headloss and our estimates could be wrong. The higher TO is to give allowance for errors in estimation.

For those using cannister filters, it seems that the choice of increasing flowrate is a lot more limited. Short of adding another filter, an OHF, you can't do much else to raise the flowrate. For those with sump filtration, it is a lot easier, just changing the pump will improve flowrate.

Quote:
actually 4x turnover is more than sufficient and i find it to be at optimum. If its too fast, your BB may not have enough cycletime to breakdown the NH4 and NO2
This was discussed in Atom's thread where he advocated a higher flowrate (as high as possible) and his solution is to increase the surface area in the sump (if I interpreted it correctly).
Anyway, I think a lot are not even hitting a TO of 4, so this is not so much of an issue. Most think they are doing better than 4, but this is an illusion, because headloss was never factored into their beliefs.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #50
riise78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I read some reviews of this fx5, most common complains is the limited media capacity n sponge cannot capture fine dirt. Some has successfully mod the fx5 to solve this 2 issues. In fact the glow rate when full packed is not so high as claim.
U r welcome bro.
Just sharing wat I experienced b4.
riise78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5ft, filter