Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #81
PatrikLim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roen View Post
well built bio filter medium!
thanks more to improve
PatrikLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #82
westiee
Dragon

Bro Pat,may i know how mani inch is ur over-flow pipe as i planing to upgrade my 2.5ft to 3ft tub wif over-flow smiliar to urs but wifout the pump n OHF.Any advise?thkx
westiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #83
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrikLim View Post
thanks more to improve
Dont forget to update us. bro PL
Leong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #84
abflug22

Bro Patrik,

How often do u wash / clean ur filter media?
read somewher rinse using the used water and not fresh water to preserve BBs.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #85
PatrikLim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiee View Post
Bro Pat,may i know how mani inch is ur over-flow pipe as i planing to upgrade my 2.5ft to 3ft tub wif over-flow smiliar to urs but wifout the pump n OHF.Any advise?thkx
mine is 1.5inch, however you need to plan the size you want and observe the flow rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong68 View Post
Dont forget to update us. bro PL
Have pass all the ranchu to my friend and get myself new patch. Too tired to take picture after work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abflug22 View Post
Bro Patrik,

How often do u wash / clean ur filter media?
read somewher rinse using the used water and not fresh water to preserve BBs.
I clean my filterwool every weekly or when the wool is "dirty". I will net all the dirt and clean the DIY filterbox during wc.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #86
Ray Ng

Here are some of my comments:
1. The flow path of the water in your setup seems a little "unsmooth". Here's a suggestion (refer to attachment) to the changes you might want to adopt. It can help you to eliminate one pump (save electric bills also)
2. The unsmooth flow path can also be justified with the existance of bubbles in the main tub. By right, if your overflow is working effectively, you should not see much bubble on the surface in the main tub; only the filter tub will have all the bubble. If the flow is "smooth", the bubbles in the main tub will flow towards the overflow. Do you observe this in your setup?
3. Bubbles in your setup clearly indicates a problem with the water; I would suggest to reduce the feed for the time being, probably once a day. Additionally, if possible, use aged water.
I will usually use aged water for such bubble case. I will add water-conditioner, aerate it for a day and introduce it to the tank. Not all my setup use aged water, but I feel that new fishes tends to feel more comfortable with aged water. Once they are conditioned (you observe minimal bubbles), you can stop using aged water; just add water conditioner into the pain with tap water and pour it into the tub
4. For the time being, introduce activated carbon into the setup, leave it for probably 1 to 2 weeks just to remove whatever funny stuffs that is lurking in your setup.
5. Coral chips; important and I think you have that in your setup. Then again, the coral chips should be place in the path of the water path
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tub_setup1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	204559  
Old 23-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #87
Ray Ng

Alternatively, use this if you don't like pipe sticking up high. But take note, more bends in pipes means disruption in flow which means you pump might not be strong enough. But you can always try first
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tub_setup2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	204561  
Old 23-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #88
BuTLeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ng View Post
1. The flow path of the water in your setup seems a little "unsmooth". Here's a suggestion (refer to attachment) to the changes you might want to adopt. It can help you to eliminate one pump (save electric bills also)
2. The unsmooth flow path can also be justified with the existance of bubbles in the main tub. By right, if your overflow is working effectively, you should not see much bubble on the surface in the main tub; only the filter tub will have all the bubble. If the flow is "smooth", the bubbles in the main tub will flow towards the overflow. Do you observe this in your setup?
3. Bubbles in your setup clearly indicates a problem with the water; I would suggest to reduce the feed for the time being, probably once a day. Additionally, if possible, use aged water.
I will usually use aged water for such bubble case. I will add water-conditioner, aerate it for a day and introduce it to the tank. Not all my setup use aged water, but I feel that new fishes tends to feel more comfortable with aged water. Once they are conditioned (you observe minimal bubbles), you can stop using aged water; just add water conditioner into the pain with tap water and pour it into the tub
4. For the time being, introduce activated carbon into the setup, leave it for probably 1 to 2 weeks just to remove whatever funny stuffs that is lurking in your setup.
5. Coral chips; important and I think you have that in your setup. Then again, the coral chips should be place in the path of the water path
bro think i got to reset mine ald.... your suggestion is good
Old 23-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #89
PatrikLim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ng View Post
thanks for the advise, I need observe my current setup. everything is on the control
I used 2 pump as prevention of pump failure at least mine have another running.
Old 23-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #90
Ray Ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTLeR View Post
bro think i got to reset mine ald.... your suggestion is good
Thanks! Just sharing my thoughts

As for your case, I think you don't really need to reset yours; BTW, which is your latest setup? Is it still this

If it's this, I think it's fine but you will just need to perform "manual" surface skimming