Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #581
cichlidtalk
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongQ View Post
The stuff constantly gets diluted in the big ocean. It's like caging your gf in the reservior, so no need to change water.
Agree with you on the diluted part ... but we must also consider on the evaporation part and the living things eg. fishes are also continously shitting etc. .... so where got diluted ???

therefore i think the answer lies in the plants and corals ... these stuff helps break down the "rubbish" ... just like in gw .. we have algaes to help break down the "rubbish" effectively...

Agreed ??
cichlidtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #582
LongQ

yes yes, you are thinking global. Good.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #583
cheangv

In the ocean, you have a very complex ecosystem in place. In a fish tank, we don't have that, even in GW. Not saying that the green algae doesn't help, but its just one component of it compared to the complex ecosystem in the ocean.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #584
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidtalk View Post
Agree with you on the diluted part ... but we must also consider on the evaporation part and the living things eg. fishes are also continously shitting etc. .... so where got diluted ???

therefore i think the answer lies in the plants and corals ... these stuff helps break down the "rubbish" ... just like in gw .. we have algaes to help break down the "rubbish" effectively...

Agreed ??
LongQ theory of dilution could be true. This is similar to you having a big tank (equivalent to big ocean) that require less maintenance then a small tank with equivalent number of fishes.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #585
LongQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
LongQ theory of dilution could be true. This is similar to you having a big tank (equivalent to big ocean) that require less maintenance then a small tank with equivalent number of fishes.
It is true about dilution. You must be refering to this from cichlidtalk and I quote, "...continously shitting etc. .... so where got diluted ???".

I didn't agreed with him specifically. It's a case of getting there, despite of what may seem wrong at certain reasoning point. I think he'll get it soon, with his direction of proving with a somewhat cycle of life on earth reasoning.

Well, first its dilution away from culture environment, so relatively stable all the time. Then the workings of life kick into action, not so far away from culture environment and also very far away from kukup to the Indian ocean and in fact the process will kick start right on the cage with detritus feeders attach on netting ropes.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #586
LongQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheangv View Post
In the ocean, you have a very complex ecosystem in place. In a fish tank, we don't have that, even in GW. Not saying that the green algae doesn't help, but its just one component of it compared to the complex ecosystem in the ocean.
Agree with you. It's just one component, ableit important. Lots more things, known and unknown, to decipher.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #587
Sotong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Will like to share a personal experience and learning from my recent Gukup Malaysia trip. I made a trip to the fishing village and took a boat to the kelong. There I noticed something very amazing eye opener (believed some of the bros here already aware). I saw with my own eyes how people do the fish farming and noticed that there is no more such thing as go out the sea for a catch. I saw that fishes like groupers, promphet...are extremely huge (was told they are trying to control the size, as too big will not be nice for dishes), eventhough they were kept in a very small space. These fishes were kept in small netting, think is about 4ft by 4ft, in numbers of tens to twenties, just supported by wooden pole. I was very surprise how these fishes can grow to such a size in such small space and start enquiring from the fishman. To my very surprise I was told space is not an important factor, the ultimate factor that control the fish growth is the WATER. How it's worked is the constant water current flow will always refresh the old water in the netting, and what the fishes see is always new fresh water. The fishes were also fed aggressively without afraid that the water will be foul. This makes me believe somebody already realize this and have a system mimicking this kelong system and is ripping the benefit. This may already be an old theory but just that not being practice extensively in GF keeping.
I also learnt from the fisherman that this method was discovered by freak accident. Previously in olden days, fisherman goes out the sea hoping to have a good catch and the harvast is inconsistence, depending alot on luck. One fine day, the fish size of their catch was so small and could not be even sold to the market at all. Out of frustraction, they discard the fishes on the netting hopping that they will grow one day. To their surprises, they noticed their fishes grow in a trememdous rate, even better then what they could catch from open sea. They soon learnt and now adays, people are harvasting with a consistence catch without worry and need to travel out the risky sea.
The moral of the story I have learnt is "The Truth of the Present may not be the Truth of the Future". We are here to learn and share and the best effective learning is with an open mind. Some of the thing you see you could not even believe your own eyes.

So that some one does he has constant fresh water to refresh the old water when his miserable system is enclosed.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #588
Ranchu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King View Post
So that some one does he has constant fresh water to refresh the old water when his miserable system is enclosed.
This is one thing you will never get to know.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #589
cichlidtalk
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu Lover View Post
Is it never get to know ... dont need to know .. or dont want to know ???
cichlidtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #590
Sotong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu Lover View Post

This is be'cos we know it is 2 different worlds.