Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 02-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #571
FieryBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsilano View Post
Bro if I am you I will just quit debating something that will never be conclusive. Just to highlight that quite a while back another brother with the nick HN Lim came up with a water system that tell hobbyists that his system "no need to change water". Walau some of the brethren then fought tooth and nail trying to dispute the "no need change water theory".....see where some of those brethren are....sadly no more active in the Goldfish forum and they are good ranchukeepers.....I think these brothers like YLD, Kawai etc are now on "North Mountain Cold"...aka as "Liang Shan"...(Water Margin,,,aka Swee Wu Chuan). Why? bcos more peaceful...no need to "high blood" over water. There on "North Mountain Cold" weather very conducive for ranchu keeping and you get to meet real ranchu hobbyists...not imposters.
Thanks brudder, like that also got one .....??

Last edited by FieryBetta; 02-10-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #572
FieryBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Will like to share a personal experience and learning from my recent Gukup Malaysia trip. I made a trip to the fishing village and took a boat to the kelong. There I noticed something very amazing eye opener (believed some of the bros here already aware). I saw with my own eyes how people do the fish farming and noticed that there is no more such thing as go out the sea for a catch. I saw that fishes like groupers, promphet...are extremely huge (was told they are trying to control the size, as too big will not be nice for dishes), eventhough they were kept in a very small space. These fishes were kept in small netting, think is about 4ft by 4ft, in numbers of tens to twenties, just supported by wooden pole. I was very surprise how these fishes can grow to such a size in such small space and start enquiring from the fishman. To my very surprise I was told space is not an important factor, the ultimate factor that control the fish growth is the WATER. How it's worked is the constant water current flow will always refresh the old water in the netting, and what the fishes see is always new fresh water. The fishes were also fed aggressively without afraid that the water will be foul. This makes me believe somebody already realize this and have a system mimicking this kelong system and is ripping the benefit. This may already be an old theory but just that not being practice extensively in GF keeping.
I also learnt from the fisherman that this method was discovered by freak accident. Previously in olden days, fisherman goes out the sea hoping to have a good catch and the harvast is inconsistence, depending alot on luck. One fine day, the fish size of their catch was so small and could not be even sold to the market at all. Out of frustraction, they discard the fishes on the netting hopping that they will grow one day. To their surprises, they noticed their fishes grow in a trememdous rate, even better then what they could catch from open sea. They soon learnt and now adays, people are harvasting with a consistence catch without worry and need to travel out the risky sea.
The moral of the story I have learnt is "The Truth of the Present may not be the Truth of the Future". We are here to learn and share and the best effective learning is with an open mind. Some of the thing you see you could not even believe your own eyes.
Yah, we are fattening goldfish so that they become the biggest fastest possible, don't care shape, balance ...... I think there was a post earlier by some brudder on this.

I think I check out Liang Shan, unless they scream for me ...... hah hah hah.

Last edited by FieryBetta; 02-10-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #573
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryBetta View Post
Yah, we are fattening goldfish so that they become the biggest fastest possible, don't care shape, balance ...... I think there was a post earlier by some brudder on this.

I think I check out Liang Shan, unless they scream for me ...... hah hah hah.
No need to say go Liang Shan like that lah, all of us are here to share and enjoy the keeping of GF, just that opinion can deviate. There are several ways to reach the same goal, just that methodologies are different.
In my opinion, GF is nothing but just a hobby.
Hey, the 107 are calling you to make up the total 108...but don't revert back just like the history
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #574
cichlidtalk
Arofanatic

Quote:
Will like to share a personal experience and learning from my recent Gukup Malaysia trip. I made a trip to the fishing village and took a boat to the kelong. There I noticed something very amazing eye opener (believed some of the bros here already aware). I saw with my own eyes how people do the fish farming and noticed that there is no more such thing as go out the sea for a catch. I saw that fishes like groupers, promphet...are extremely huge (was told they are trying to control the size, as too big will not be nice for dishes), eventhough they were kept in a very small space. These fishes were kept in small netting, think is about 4ft by 4ft, in numbers of tens to twenties, just supported by wooden pole. I was very surprise how these fishes can grow to such a size in such small space and start enquiring from the fishman. To my very surprise I was told space is not an important factor, the ultimate factor that control the fish growth is the WATER. How it's worked is the constant water current flow will always refresh the old water in the netting, and what the fishes see is always new fresh water. The fishes were also fed aggressively without afraid that the water will be foul. This makes me believe somebody already realize this and have a system mimicking this kelong system and is ripping the benefit. This may already be an old theory but just that not being practice extensively in GF keeping.
I also learnt from the fisherman that this method was discovered by freak accident. Previously in olden days, fisherman goes out the sea hoping to have a good catch and the harvast is inconsistence, depending alot on luck. One fine day, the fish size of their catch was so small and could not be even sold to the market at all. Out of frustraction, they discard the fishes on the netting hopping that they will grow one day. To their surprises, they noticed their fishes grow in a trememdous rate, even better then what they could catch from open sea. They soon learnt and now adays, people are harvasting with a consistence catch without worry and need to travel out the risky sea.
The moral of the story I have learnt is "The Truth of the Present may not be the Truth of the Future". We are here to learn and share and the best effective learning is with an open mind. Some of the thing you see you could not even believe your own eyes.

wah ... really like to know where you get this idea and information from ??? hmmm .. if you keep gf at home .. still can throw dirty water away and fill new water ... but in the BIG OCEAN ... where to throw the water ??? i can only think of new water from the river ... so what helps to eliminate the ammonia n nitrate and blah blah blah hah ????
cichlidtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #575
IKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidtalk View Post
wah ... really like to know where you get this idea and information from ??? hmmm .. if you keep gf at home .. still can throw dirty water away and fill new water ... but in the BIG OCEAN ... where to throw the water ??? i can only think of new water from the river ... so what helps to eliminate the ammonia n nitrate and blah blah blah hah ????
Good point.........
Old 03-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #576
LongQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidtalk View Post
The stuff constantly gets diluted in the big ocean. It's like caging your gf in the reservior, so no need to change water.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #577
nazari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongQ View Post
The stuff constantly gets diluted in the big ocean. It's like caging your gf in the reservior, so no need to change water.
Totally agree with you
Old 03-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #578
LongQ

Quote:
Certainly there are conditions that needs to keep the water clear or green, right? These conditions cannot be fixed. Already different from the start and question will be raised, why don't let each group have the freedom to optimize their keeping methodology.
You are talking master level keeping. Basics like feeding, water, timing etc already expert, on to grooming for traits like fukurin thickening, hyousou skin differentiation, teri improvement besides the common wen, sesagali and such.

But we are only on to water! We can't go master level without understanding the very basics. Unless we are already ready for that, not that I know of, to groom worldclass masters.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #579
LongQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu Lover View Post
I do not agree to your proposal. I would suggest the following much simplier test.This is because there are advantages to GW and CW raising. We must take full advantage to each of the different system. I would propose the following:
As responded in LLC's post, we are not ready for master level keeping. This whole exercise is just to prove your water is better than nature's water. That means, nature has always been what it is and you've something that's better.

You know, RL, I hope you haven't intentionally handicap GW test with that many fish in your tub. There's a reason why one fish is 100 L gw so that amount of microalgae can do their job. That's why I said cw should follow gw's stocking density.

If it's about testing your system against others and the end result being fish winning competition, then it's no longer a cwgw issue. It'ss a who's the grandmaster issue, and will need another forum.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #580
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongQ View Post
There's a reason why one fish is 100 L gw so that amount of microalgae can do their job. That's why I said cw should follow gw's stocking density.
I agree with you on this point.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote