Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
dermarko
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I am asking out of curiosity.
I happen to live in an opposition ward for the last 8 years.
Is there anything fearful of voting for the opposition?
Fully agreed. I am also staying in Mr. Low's ward and he is seen going his rounds to the residents' home way before this coming GE, not like the pap, only appear once every 4-5 years near GE time....This GE, he will definitely have two votes from my wife and me if he is still running for Hougang...My wifey will still vote for the Opposition(because Mr. Low is creditable) even though she is in the Civil service...
There is no repercussion so far...
dermarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
yeobt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tan View Post
This is disturbing, is your friend's boss in HDB belongs to certain political party.
Did he/her tells your friends to do that or threaten your friend to do that?
Can this be consider as threatening or violating of citizen right?
I thought HDB is belong to the country and not any political party.
And it is funded by the country tax payer money.
Best regards
the top of HDB is a minister.
if he is out of job, the bottom one will suffer.

that's what she think lah. but i tell her, who do you think you are that they will chk you??

Last edited by yeobt; 10-04-2011 at 03:51 PM.
yeobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
tanmikel
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeobt View Post
is all about the serial number on each voting card. is a phyco effect to make
voters believe that it can be traced. the concern had been raised by the
opposition many years ago. our govt still doesnt want to remove the
serial number. it actually to trace the attendance of voters and to trace
if anyone spew FCUK words on the voting card.

IMHO, they wouldn't check becos all the cards are supposed to be sealed and
be placed in high court for 1 year before it can be disposed. even if they
do check, they would probably check those top 10 richest man lah.
every time I check the voting slip , there is no numbering of any kind . I also voted for opposition , that's why I scrutinized the voting slip . seems everyone is sure there is a serial number so I was expecting so . I dun think I missed it as the voting slip is no bigger than my palm .
tanmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Backslash
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmikel View Post
I also dun understand . Dun see anything serial number or any indicative markings on the voting slip . I even brought a UV light like those for notes checking but dun see anything indicative . maybe using some secret technology .
You sure? Check again. Anyway, nothing's wrong if you wanna vote for your own choice.
Backslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Mark Tan

Haha ok, trying telling her this way.
If the minister is not to the citizen liking and being voted out, the next minister that take over will try to do a better work and will pacify her more as so that his/her position will be firmer.
Best regards
Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Backslash
Dragon

Abstracted from another site
Quote:
Q: Why does the election official call out my name and voter number at the polling station before giving me the ballot paper? I find it unsettling.
A: This is required under the Parliament Elections Act. Calling out you name and number enables the representatives of political parties at the polling station to verify and cross out your name on their registers. This is a transparent process to help both the ruling and opposition parties in 2 ways – to check against double-voting by any voter, and to tally the total number of votes and the number of ballot papers issued out at the close of voting.

Q: Why must the ballot papers have serial numbers?
A: This is a good way to guard against election fraud such as bringing counterfeit ballot papers into the polling station, vote impersonation or basing ballot papers which have been marked by others. We are not the only country in the world to have ballot papers numbered.

Q: After I have cast my vote, what happens to it?
A: After the close of polls at 8 pm, the votes are sealed and moved to the counting centres where they will be counted by civil servants from different departments in the presence of the candidates and agents from both ruling party and opposition. Once counted, the votes, together with all the relevant records, the stubs of the ballot papers as well as unused ballot papers are sealed and transferred to the vault at the Supreme Court where they are kept for at least 6 months. The votes cannot be retrieved unless a court order is obtained on the ground of election fraud.

According to the Elections Department website, no court order has been issued to retrieve votes since Singapore conducted elections in 1948.

At the end of 6 months, the sealed votes and records will be transferred to an incineration plant for destruction. The whole procedure is witnessed by candidates/agents from all parties. The Workers’ Party has been present and has found the seals on the votes and records intact. The Workers’ Party is satisfied about voting secrecy.

Q: After the election, politicians started saying that certain communities / blocks supported the ruling party or the opposition party. This shows that the votes are not secret.
A: Nobody knows how each individual voted. Each polling station serves about 10-20 blocks of flats and/or a few landed housing estates. Since the counting of votes is done by polling stations, it is possible to know the overall results of each polling station, which consists of a few thousand votes. The voting results, sorted by polling stations, are accessible to all political parties contesting in that constituency. It is possible to say a particular zone of residents supported a political party by x%, but it is not possible to narrow down the level of support to a particular block or an individual. The comments of politicians may be based on ground feel and feedback.

Q: How else can you reassure me that my vote is secret?
A: The Workers’ Party has participated in every General Election since the independence of Singapore. Based on our experience, we are certain that the vote is secret.

For anyone who is still in doubt, do bear in mind that tampering with the electoral process is illegal and tantamount to breaking the law. Doing so is not in the interest of the government as its power and legitimacy will be in question and its reputation tarnished locally and internationally. The government actually has more to lose if it fails to ensure that the vote is secret.
http://wp.sg/your-vote-is-secret/
Backslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
tian ya ren
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermarko View Post
Fully agreed. I am also staying in Mr. Low's ward and he is seen going his rounds to the residents' home way before this coming GE, not like the pap, only appear once every 4-5 years near GE time....This GE, he will definitely have two votes from my wife and me if he is still running for Hougang...My wifey will still vote for the Opposition(because Mr. Low is creditable) even though she is in the Civil service...
There is no repercussion so far...
YES bro u are right i agree with u near GE PAP will automatically appear shake hand with the resident anyhow carry people baby talk with the resident and do this do that if s,pore got golden horse award every year there sure get ...
tian ya ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
jasmine

With this, I hope Opposition can win some seats in the coming election. At least PAP knows we are not push over.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
wei
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ment0s View Post
this is my first time voting, 1 thing i dont understand. what can they do to us? my mum said she cant vote for opposition becos she works with the ministry
This is just a misconception. I was from two different ministries. For the past few elections i have never voted for PAP. A lot of people in Hougang, especially the older ones, are die hard hammers.

So for those whom parents are fearful of voting for any party, please assure them that there's no need to fear at all.

Last edited by wei; 10-04-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: rephrasing
wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
TIRAMISU

i have been voting opposition since i stay here for15years, so far nothing leh, all those i suppose is hearsay la, when ever ppl say hearsay that this la that la, i will ask them, hear WHO SAY? then all mostly is rumours this la that la, void the vote for wat? if even voting is afraid just becos scare of this n that, anin't that a typical scare die singaporean?

the purpose for voting is to show that what we really think is good for us, its a rare chance every few years, even if you vote any party, u won't be hang for that, so nothing to be afriad. i still get my wife to be a resident in a year time, i still get my new house thru balloting, so?? if we anin't wrong, whats there to be afraid of voting any party rather then void the vote?