Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 24-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Bluebubble

Default OHF recommendation please

Currently I am using this external OH filter. But lately, I noticed the water tend to overflow and created a small flood around the floor if I did not change the sponge for one week. I suspect due to the internal sponge accumulated with dirts thus blocking the water from streaming back into the tank as the filter continue to suck in more water. Anyone encounter similar situation? Keeping shrimp is not difficult since I got so many different type of shrimplets now but maintaining this filter is a headache, what is the best and safe filter/brand anyone can recommend me to avoid this problem?
Old 25-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
doffy

maybe u can cover ur water inflow with sponge to minimize water being suck in.

just my 2 cents
Old 25-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
globalcookie
Dragon

That devise you got there is a Hang On Filter (HOF) and not a OHF (overhead filter). You can control the water flow with that black knob. Check the placing of the filter and items inside and see if it had cause any obstruction to the water flowing out.

Alternatively, you may want to consider getting a small canister. A cheap canister cost no more than 4 red notes.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
icebabys

Wah... finally.. someone experience the same problem... then have to worry that it overflow after awhile... that time i post before this issue... some bros ask can overflow meh....

It also doesnt matter how u turn the knob.. to the smallest or the biggest.... after awhile once the sponge is dirty... dats it.... the water level rises... and some water will flow over rather than thru it.

Looking at the sponge u are using, u are using one of the more "free flow" thru ones available already... it still overflow... think u should change filter then u need not worry anymore.

Anyway I overcome it by buying eden 501.... No more worries.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
elimmel
Senior Dragon

if you want to stick to HOF, get the eheim liberty series.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Ken_wen
Dragon

Eheim 2042 or liberty series is very good. Simple, reliable and no such problems and able to adjust water flow and quiet too.

Same for their cannisters.
Ken_wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Bluebubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Alternatively, you may want to consider getting a small canister. A cheap canister cost no more than 4 red notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebabys View Post
Anyway I overcome it by buying eden 501.... No more worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
if you want to stick to HOF, get the eheim liberty series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_wen View Post
Eheim 2042 or liberty series is very good. Simple, reliable and no such problems and able to adjust water flow and quiet too.
Same for their cannisters.
Wow!!! now I am spoilt for choice. Will start my shopping again soon since shrimp keeping is going to be my lifetime hobby - pets & gardens all-in-one "display box".

Thanks bros!
Old 25-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
wiltan

Ehiem liberty HOF will be a good choice if your tank is not more than 2ft.
I personally using it for my 2 ft x 1.5 x 1.5 ft guppy and tetra tank, work well.

my two cents worth.
Old 25-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
icebabys

dun forget to run your new filter before intro shrimps.... u can use ur old filter media and water to fill the new filter.
Old 25-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
petermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltan View Post
Ehiem liberty HOF will be a good choice if your tank is not more than 2ft.
I personally using it for my 2 ft x 1.5 x 1.5 ft guppy and tetra tank, work well.

my two cents worth.
I agreed with bro wiltan. HOF is good for small tank. if its more than 2ft, i dun think it can work efficiently. I still prefer external filter especially EHIEM
Cheers...........