Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 03-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #31
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
Can juz use a air stone in the sump? those wooden one?
most of us using the stony blue type, seriously, i think the ozone may disintegrate the wooden ones faster than the blue ones. Let me do a search on the chemistry guide first..

Anyway, if u r dropping it into the sump, be careful not to let the ozone accumulate in the bioballs or ceramic rings area or all yr aerobic bac is bye bye, imho. Also, do take caution not to let ozone discharge get suck by yr return pump back into main tank... ( not my advice but from some manuafacturer's site) . use carbon after the ozone part . as a safety precaution...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #32
bloodlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
agree , but u ask clean air mah, so ultimate air still clean wor, on condition u replace the filter regularly... but it all also boils down to the climate and surronding . some places like my old unit near Mt Sinai, atmosphere not very dusty, pump runs for almost 1 yr plus the filter still very clean ..

Air dryness i no comment..unless i got humidity meter to check.

yr 3rd comment even more cute, i don think anyone will know how to ans u, only the manufacturer knows, cos it is stated clearly on the cover; "there is high power voltage inside , do not take it down at random unless u r the repairing worker. " so perhaps u can consult Hailea and ask them this? or i can pass a spare to u to experiment plugging in the air flow reverse manner and see the outcome?
That is becos for the enaly the direction does not matter. The two opening just connects to the reaction chamber and it does not care about direction.

I'm just curious if there is an extra safety feature in this unit (to prevent water backflow) stated in the manual. Thats why the direction is important.

Anyway humidity in singapore definatly very high don't really need to measure.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #33
nim75sg

Let me try to answer inline to your questions:

Quote:
Ken , maybe you can explain some connections sequence for the reefers who bought the ozone generators as I realise that quite a no of reefers who bulk order are not familiar with hooking up the ozone in situations like;

1) If no sump tank, how to hook up?
Then hook it up directly to the air intake of the skimmer

2) If Skimmer is not ozone safe, where to discharge ozone to?
There are 2 solutions:
a) In the sump compartment where the skimmer is located
b) Don't use ozone

3) What is the proper connection , ie , where the tubes goes to where?
There are 2 possible sceanarios:
a) Connecting the ozonizer outlet with silicone air tube and air stone with the air stone in the same compartment as the skimmer.
b) Connect the outlet of ozonizer with the air inlet of the skimmer

The input to ozonizer is the output of the air pump but there are some ozonizers already has a built-in air pump.

4) What is the recommended settings for different tank size,
Every 10 mg of ozonizer treats 100 litres of saltwater and so a 50mg will treats a 500litres of saltwater

5) and the duration of ozone discharge if running w/o a ORP controller.
Having an ozone generator with ORP controller is like having a bomb on a timer waiting for it to goes off unless the max ozone output is near or equal to your tank capacity.

In my opinion, it is better to purchase a unit which can treats the max capacity of your tank rather than oversizing it which can cause an overdose of ozone or unless an ORP controller is in place.

If not, then at least an ORP meter or don't use ozone at all and use the UV Sterilizer instead

Will you be kind enough to provide the reefers out there with the a/m FAQs. ? Appreciated.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #34
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokn
Hi Ken,

After so many review on ozonizer of different brands. I really hope to see a comparison chart soon something like those for the computer hardware. Then we can have a showdown of all the brands.

Cheers. A review well done. Keep up the good work.

:OFF TOPIC: Really hope that I can catch up with you more during the AquaRama 2005 but I'm with a friend so I couldn't stay and chat. So when is the next ba chow mee session?
It is not necessary to have a product comparison as all ozone generators are identical and perform the same tasks as long as there is no ozone leakage.

For ba chow mee .. anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchew
Ken, please update the progress in 10-days time .
(I will only install it this weekend due to suddenly "heavy" work-load and I am oversea by the time you read this msg )
Will definitely update everyone on the progress ..... and you have a pleasant and safe trip.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #35
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlamb
That is becos for the enaly the direction does not matter. The two opening just connects to the reaction chamber and it does not care about direction.

I'm just curious if there is an extra safety feature in this unit (to prevent water backflow) stated in the manual. Thats why the direction is important.

Does it matter if the Hailea outlet is labelled "In" or "Out" after all it doesn't impedes the efficiency of the unit. Right?

Most of us usually install the unit over the water level where it is well ventilated and also to avoid water backflow - just like the Enaly which recommends installation above water level.

If really so kiasu then get a check-valve lor like yours truly for my two Sander Ozonizers

Enaly Ozonizer .. detected ozone leakage immediately after powering on and the rest was history for my Enaly.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #36
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlamb

ah, ok , fyi, the manual did state must prevent water back flow into the unit, so there is no inline checkvalve. u have the manual alreadi?

Agree, humidity in spore is high.

imo , the in / out is a reassurance to the consumers how to plug the airline, trust me , some consumers have sleepless nights if no one can confirm their installation. But imo, u have a very interesting thought there,tis shows tat u r extraordinary... r u in engineering?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #37
Ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Let me try to answer inline to your questions:
Thanks for the Info!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #38
bloodlamb

Quote:
ah, ok , fyi, the manual did state must prevent water back flow into the unit, so there is no inline checkvalve. u have the manual alreadi?

Agree, humidity in spore is high.

imo , the in / out is a reassurance to the consumers how to plug the airline, trust me , some consumers have sleepless nights if no one can confirm their installation. But imo, u have a very interesting thought there,tis shows tat u r extraordinary... r u in engineering?
I don't have a unit of these hailea thats why I'm interested in knowing more. Maybe I will get one as a backup for my enaly.

My only concern is that it is lasting or not. It may take a few months before some rubber/plastic inside get eaten up by ozone. This is the feedback I get from some people about thoese cheap china made ozonizer. nim75sg you should let us know in a few months the progress of the unit.

I was contemplating on getting a sanders when the enaly bulk order came up. The reviews in RC (both long and short term usage) seems good and its appears to be fairly lasting.

BTW Does this unit comes with the hailea air pump?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #39
Ariel

Quote:
most of us using the stony blue type, seriously, i think the ozone may disintegrate the wooden ones faster than the blue ones. Let me do a search on the chemistry guide first..

Anyway, if u r dropping it into the sump, be careful not to let the ozone accumulate in the bioballs or ceramic rings area or all yr aerobic bac is bye bye, imho. Also, do take caution not to let ozone discharge get suck by yr return pump back into main tank... ( not my advice but from some manuafacturer's site) . use carbon after the ozone part . as a safety precaution...
This part
"do take caution not to let ozone discharge get suck by yr return pump back into main tank..."
not sure, does it mean, put the air stone far far way fr the return pump?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #40
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
This part
"do take caution not to let ozone discharge get suck by yr return pump back into main tank..."
not sure, does it mean, put the air stone far far way fr the return pump?
sort of, position yr air stone such that the air from the air stone is not sucked by the return pump and discharged in the main tank. place further away from the suction of the return pump.