Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 18-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
dazmario
Arofanatic

Default LED lighting for 1 ft tank

hi i got this led ight for my 1ft tank. check wih the shop owner, was told it is mean for 1 ft plant tank. however after intallation find that the light is not really bright. the box stated it has 8 led lighting with 3.2 w. but it never state with 8 led light on, how many wat it is giving. thus like to ask any one know it is sufficent for my plants? it consist of one unknow plant at the left, one java moss tied to the coconut shell and 1 mini nana with rock at the right. will add one small plant before i get the shrimp. just set up the tank on sat night. will cycle it for 2 weeks. thanks

Last edited by dazmario; 18-01-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: cannot see pix
dazmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazmario View Post
hi i got this led ight for my 1ft tank. check wih the shop owner, was told it is mean for 1 ft plant tank. however after intallation find that the light is not really bright. the box stated it has 8 led lighting with 3.2 w. but it never state with 8 led light on, how many wat it is giving. thus like to ask any one know it is sufficent for my plants? it consist of one unknow plant at the left, one java moss tied to the coconut shell and 1 mini nana with rock at the right. will add one small plant before i get the shrimp. just set up the tank on sat night. will cycle it for 2 weeks. thanks

Bear in mine, LED rated in Lumen not watt... For 1ft tank at least a 13watt PL light should do the job. So LED wise, should get a higher number of light in order to meet the watt per gallon issue.
Because of light temperature (kelvin) of LED and Flourescent is different, you also need to consider the "cool light" or "warm light" type.
Old 19-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
cherabin
Arofanatic

What is the unknown plant? Did you attach a picture (can't seem to see it)? Moss and anubias would definitely survive with minimum lighting, do note lower temperature is conducive for moss to stirve and I'm sure the lower heat emitted would help in this aspect.
cherabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
dzylim
Arofanatic

there is also the light wavelength to consider. plants will need triband or quadband to thrive.
dzylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
dazmario
Arofanatic

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...YdRYh4l5k2TGxc

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...wNYYh4l5k2TGxc

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...2x1oh4l5k2TGxc

sorry, dun why cannot insert pix, hope the link is working. by the way it is 32 small led buld.

Last edited by dazmario; 21-01-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: still cannot insert pix
dazmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
enghai

I have similiar LED light. The only advantage I find is that it does not heat up the water. Other tube light get heated up after 30 mins of usage and I find my water level dropping.
enghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Leon2k
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by enghai View Post
I have similiar LED light. The only advantage I find is that it does not heat up the water. Other tube light get heated up after 30 mins of usage and I find my water level dropping.

ya i agree, but some how i tried LED hmmm it does not seems what i really look into.
Leon2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
fish11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazmario View Post

Ya I have the same light. Find that it's not powerful enough. Plants turning a little yellow.

Can anyone suggest a light suitable for a 1ft/1.5ft planted tank that will not really increase the water temperature?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
Kiatster

If you are into LED lights to save energy and stuff, you might want to DIY a few bright white led strips and connect them to 12v adapter. All these can be bought at electronics spare part stores.

My one feet tank led light consists of 2 led strips and its as bright as a 11w clip on light. Worth a try, good for long run. Won't need to change the led as often as the FL tubes.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
fish11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiatster View Post
If you are into LED lights to save energy and stuff, you might want to DIY a few bright white led strips and connect them to 12v adapter. All these can be bought at electronics spare part stores.

My one feet tank led light consists of 2 led strips and its as bright as a 11w clip on light. Worth a try, good for long run. Won't need to change the led as often as the FL tubes.
Care to share which electronic shop u got ur parts from? and the total cost of making it? Thanks!