Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 21-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #21
Haohao
Arofanatic

I bet with u the discus that just died after water change is weak in fact all ur discus are weak due to poor water condition (nitrate high that u acknowledged ) which is known as old tank syndrome.

Wc is the most economic way to get rid of nitrate.

For goodness sake use prime for wc conditional.

Let me give u a small tip though I'm not expert.

Discuss not dying does not necessarily means they are heathy. But when they still showing who is number 1 after several months/years chasing each other often then that is 1 good way to tell they are strong and healthy.
Haohao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 04:40 AM   #22
Haohao
Arofanatic

Discuss love wc a lot (but u need to know the right volume n duration in between wc and the RIGHT conditional )...please don't torture them further by doing minimum wc.
Haohao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #23
beepoobee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohao View Post
I bet with u the discus that just died after water change is weak in fact all ur discus are weak due to poor water condition (nitrate high that u acknowledged ) which is known as old tank syndrome.

Wc is the most economic way to get rid of nitrate.

For goodness sake use prime for wc conditional.

Let me give u a small tip though I'm not expert.

Discuss not dying does not necessarily means they are heathy. But when they still showing who is number 1 after several months/years chasing each other often then that is 1 good way to tell they are strong and healthy.
gppd advise. up u bro.
beepoobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
trichard
Arofanatic

Thanks for all the advice ................
trichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #25
trichard
Arofanatic

Hooted 2 bottle of discus buffer liao .......... just WC 10% ..... hope tmr all discus Ok .....
Old 23-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #26
trichard
Arofanatic

By the way I also dump PH Up salt .... those $5 type ..... and change to Discus buffer ...
Old 23-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #27
novjoe
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
By the way I also dump PH Up salt .... those $5 type ..... and change to Discus buffer ...
Bro, you are using Seachem Discus Buffer, right? Do ensure that you keep the ph in check as well. Once it reaches the ph and gh that you want, you can temporary stop using it until the next major wc (>40%).

Do not over buffer, else problems will kick in as the ph can get too low and the acidic water will strip the mucus slim off the discus body very fast and if the regen is not fast enough, fungus or slim coat problem will occur. I suggest combining Stress Coat from API to help the fishes to help with faster recovery of their slim coat.

I accidentally over buffered once and ph falls below 5 and all my discus develops fungus on eyes and body. Very bad as i have to treat the whole tank of 12 discus at that time with Furan 2 for 2 weeks and cull 3 discus. Very tiring and sad for those which passed on.
novjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:28 AM   #28
trichard
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by novjoe View Post
Bro, you are using Seachem Discus Buffer, right? Do ensure that you keep the ph in check as well. Once it reaches the ph and gh that you want, you can temporary stop using it until the next major wc (>40%).

Do not over buffer, else problems will kick in as the ph can get too low and the acidic water will strip the mucus slim off the discus body very fast and if the regen is not fast enough, fungus or slim coat problem will occur. I suggest combining Stress Coat from API to help the fishes to help with faster recovery of their slim coat.

I accidentally over buffered once and ph falls below 5 and all my discus develops fungus on eyes and body. Very bad as i have to treat the whole tank of 12 discus at that time with Furan 2 for 2 weeks and cull 3 discus. Very tiring and sad for those which passed on.
Thanks for instruction .........

Buffer suppose to maintain at 6.5 top 7 right ?.....
Old 24-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #29
trichard
Arofanatic

Quote:

I mean ......... the PH suppose to be 6.5 to 7 right ?.... why will drop below 5 if over buffer?
Old 24-01-2015, 02:15 AM   #30
novjoe
Arofanatic

Quote:

Quote:
I mean ......... the PH suppose to be 6.5 to 7 right ?.... why will drop below 5 if over buffer?
Seachem discus buffer range between 5.8 to 6.5, rightfully. However, if it was dosed more often than instructed, combined with the food we fed, chances of ph dip is high. Practising regular 25% wc every day or every other day with major wc every week @ >40% and filter maintenance every fortnightly to a month will help with maintaining ammonia level, ph balancing, bb balancing to keep discus happy.

I missed my wc for 2 whole weeks as I am rushing major reports for my HQ and problem arise on the next wc where parameters went haywire . Now I rather lose some sleep to ensure wc schedule than to have 2 to 3 weeks of tiring quarantine and treatments.
novjoe is offline   Reply With Quote