Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 30-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #71
cheangv

When are you planning to go down to Diamond this weekend? See if I can join you guys
Old 30-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #72
aroflim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
For those interested in this growth out event, please do go down to Diamond and pick your fish by this weekend. After this weekend, we will be just focusing on the grooming and development of those participating kois.

Having said the above, we still welcome non-participants to join us regularly at Diamond for chit chat and etc.

Cheers!!!
Thanks for the nice gesture.

Please 'publish' the gathering date and time on this thread whenever you guys plan to drop in at Diamond.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #73
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheangv View Post
When are you planning to go down to Diamond this weekend? See if I can join you guys
Hi, was quite busy during th CNY period...hence didn't really log-in...or visit the farm during the weekend....

but I did went down today...at 6pm for a while...
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #74
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroflim View Post
Thanks for the nice gesture.

Please 'publish' the gathering date and time on this thread whenever you guys plan to drop in at Diamond.
I think "publish" the date and time is quite difficult for me, as I usually drop-by bec was "on the way" or during free time slot duing the weekend afternoon, when the kids are taking nap.

anyway, if a plan gathering is organised, we will sure publish the date and time here.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #75
nutx
Dragon

I would like to share this post in another forum on the selection of koi (probably Nisai).

http://www.koi.com.my/cgi-bin/koifor...=unread#unread

As discuss in Jay's thread, I would like to share a few point on the advantage of looking the fish in photo. I hope other hobbyists can share your views too.

You can see that by taking pic, this allow us to better observe the different aspect/features of the koi in a "still" mode. Most of us, being not too experiences, will tend to lose focus looking at that moving fish, and also probably over focus on the pattern.

Body length, width, proportional of head length versus shoulder length, etc can be much easier to visualise in photo. We can even use Ruler to draw and measure...

These are the advantages of looking at the fish in photo.

However, looking at the Real Fish is also important, to make sure some of the followings:
1. Skin quality
2. Condition of Sashi and Kiwa
3. Eveness of the colour tone....(since most camera or photoshop will adjust the colour tone)
4. opening of the pectoral fin, dorsal, and tail
5. Any deform due to un-balance swimming; left-right and front-end.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #76
APLBW
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
Gosanke #8 - Bro APLBW Sanke (19cm)

Hi Pykoh,

Sorry for the late response... Have been out of action for the CNY.

Thanks for the great picture
Could not have taken a better picture...

FYI... if you look closely at the picture... there is a battle scar at the cheek..

Looks like a it got a little cosmetic surgery before coming from Japan..
APLBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #77
APLBW
Arofanatic

Hi Nutx,

Thanks for the pointers...

Share with you guys one of my biggest challenge...

Its to just get a female koi...

Going by my tosai selection record... the success rate of getting a female is only about 30%

My problem... I get attracted to nice patterned kois.... (finished nice looking kois tend to end up as male... )
APLBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #78
cheangv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Hi, was quite busy during th CNY period...hence didn't really log-in...or visit the farm during the weekend....

but I did went down today...at 6pm for a while...

No worries. I was also quite busy this weekend so no time to drop by also. Hopefully, once all the CNY activities wind down, then will have time
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #79
nutx
Dragon

Gosanke #8 - Bro APLBW Sanke (19cm)

hmmm...my view on this fish:

This should be a sanke, but there is a sumi dot in the center of forehead.....(this should be the comestic portion that Bro APLBW mentioned).
In fact, Sumi at head for Sanke is no longer a major concern.....

The sumi is currently concentrating on the 2nd half of the fish. there are some sumi patch image at the right shoulder. Should this come up it will balance the sumi pattern.

The sashi in the 2nd patch of beni is nicely forming up, with 1 scale evenly spread throughout the beni patch. In fact, I will always try to look for this type of sashi in tosai.

The body structure looks good. The body shape is like a rod, with thick Tail Tube!
However, as the parent is unknown, I'll tend to guess that this type of body shape is more towards a Male fish.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #80
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLBW View Post
Share with you guys one of my biggest challenge...

Its to just get a female koi...

Going by my tosai selection record... the success rate of getting a female is only about 30%
Problem is that alot of tosai out there are male to begin with, that's why yr success rate so low.

When i buy tosai, i only buy female. Same when my frens buy, if a male catches their eyes, i tell them upfront it is a male, if they like then buy.

In my pond, only got 1 male fish belonging to my fren, the rest are all female.