Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR View Post
If the adult can't reach the water surface, problem will be solved. I used to have that problem and manage to solve it by covering the filtration pond with a DIY green netting.
Bro...I'm not sure whethehr cover will really helps, as the flies will just be trap at the net and die off.

One of the main cause for the flies is dirty filter/water.

If you have clean water, they will be minimise. Also the flow rate in filter is important. only with "dead water", then they can spawn and hatch inside. otherwise, any egg layed will be flow on, and died off before hatching.

my 0.02 cents.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovest_11 View Post
Thanks for your solution, will try it, meaning no gap allow for the mosquito to go in the filter side right
Yup. I sealed it with a DIY green net from hardware shop. Once the adult cant reach the calm water of the filtration side, how to lay eggs, right? Worked 100% well for me thou. Let us know the result if you've tried it.

Last edited by TVR; 11-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.
TVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Bro...I'm not sure whethehr cover will really helps, as the flies will just be trap at the net and die off.

One of the main cause for the flies is dirty filter/water.

If you have clean water, they will be minimise. Also the flow rate in filter is important. only with "dead water", then they can spawn and hatch inside. otherwise, any egg layed will be flow on, and died off before hatching.

my 0.02 cents.
Bro, I meant the flies cant go in to lay eggs, I think you meant hatched flies flying out? Yes, if there are already eggs present, might have to wait for them to hatch and die in there first before vanish, but think his case will not be such coz he mentioned that he just washed up the pond.
TVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #24
noidea
Dragon

I agree with PB that the flies will be minimise with clean filter (meaning bottom of the filter chamber should be clear of sludge) and good water.

I don't think covering the filter with net will help as they sure find way to get into the filter through other way unless you are using bead filter etc.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
melvvvv

this is wat i did for the last 3 days when plenty can be seen near my filter.

- spray water directly at them and destroy 50% of their population around late evening 3 days in a row.
- wash the filter thoroughly and change 20% of water (to remove debris, increase water flow and reduce still water).
- put in pandan leaves at the side of the empty space of the filter (was told the smell will drive them away)
- reduce feeding for a day or 2.
- put in a few of my guppies in the filter in case there are still lava in there.

no sure if this is the rite thing to do but the whole pond is now clear of midges and mozzies.

conclusion: i think its the water quality and pandan leaves.

melvin
Old 13-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #26
cobi

This is what I do.
(1) Wash the filter inside out and everything.
(2) Put all corals + mesh + etc back in place
(3) Let the filter run after cleaning
(4) Seal any gap to the inlet (if any) with food wrap (cling wrap)
(5) Tie a cloth mesh on the outlet.
(6) Close the lid of the filter and seal it with food wrap (wrapping around just like pallet wrapping).
(7) Then use a marker to note the date on the seal.

Well, I have came across NEA who wanted to check for mosquito breeding in my compound... He saw my fibreglass tank and the filter. What he saw how I seal my filter was rather impressed. He did not ask my to open it....phew..