Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 13-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
AlastairSC

Lightbulb Environment for breeding Angels?

Hello everyone out there! I'm just wondering if I can actually 'prepare' my angels to breed through enhancing its environment?

Been keeping 4 moderately big ones for around 3 months and they always move together hahaha no signs of any pairing up! They are roughly about 5 - 6cm in length hehe!

Their tank is a 50-cm square tank (so every length of it is 50cm for the height, length and breadth) and there are several plants.

Also, I read online that most breeding would happen when the water is roughly quite acidic... Hmm, how would I do that? Use ketapang water?

Aiyoh, would be a real sight if I can see them breed! Hehe
Old 13-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
wildaltum
Dragon

Hi

There is not much to enhance the environment. Just give them clean water and some braod leaf plants where they can lay their eggs. I dont even measure my tank water acidity. The angels must be at least 8 to 9 months before they are sexually mature.

You can tel a female easily when she is full of eggs. She will be the one where her stomach will always seem fat even though she has not eaten.

Good luck but if you need any help, just PM me.
wildaltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
AlastairSC

Yes, there was this once when one apparent female had her stomach really really huge and a white extension came out from down there haha.. but this one day it was gone and never seen it again.

Do you think adding a tile in there will by any chance heighten the chance? Haha i should try that!

Thanks!!!!
Old 13-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairSC View Post
Yes, there was this once when one apparent female had her stomach really really huge and a white extension came out from down there haha.. but this one day it was gone and never seen it again.

Do you think adding a tile in there will by any chance heighten the chance? Haha i should try that!

Thanks!!!!
It seems that water changes can trigger breeding. I once saw one of the females laying eggs when I changed water...
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
AlastairSC

Thank you! Just changed water this afternoon hahaha oh cool
Old 14-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
wildaltum
Dragon

Quote:

Thanks!!!!
Sometimes if there are no suitable mates for the female, she will lay here eggs to get rid of it.
wildaltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:

Thanks!!!!
If that happens again, look at how the rest of the angels respond. Normally all will also 'show' their reproductive tubes when one of the pairs are mating. Then you can take the chance to sex all your angels. The female's tube is longer and males are very short and pointed.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
Discus Ø

most of the time is just clean water and wait for them to pair up, they like plant too. hope it help
Old 14-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
AlastairSC

Hmm, i just added in ketapang extract as well as this porcelain plate hahahaha... There are occasional pecks on the glass walls by one pair (with one being the apparent female i think!) but then another one will replace the so-called male and peck on the glass with the female up down up down like that hahaha...

Will check up on them often! LOL

Tags
angels, breeding, water quality