Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
DAniel_C
Dragon

Question Corydoras cross-breeding

Dear bros and sistas, have recently set up my 2ft tank with the intention of breeding corydoras. I have added three "scouts" corydoras "Panda" into the tank and they are looking great as of this morning. Hence am keen to add the corydoras "Peru Gold" into the tank as well. Since I have no intention to cross breed the two different kinds of Cory, I will like to seek for advice if they are suitable to stay in the same environment without cross-breeding.

Am planning for the future as I do not wish to see variations of Cory and limiting the lifespan of any strains of Cory in such a way. Thank you.
DAniel_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Joop
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAniel_C View Post
Dear bros and sistas, have recently set up my 2ft tank with the intention of breeding corydoras. I have added three "scouts" corydoras "Panda" into the tank and they are looking great as of this morning. Hence am keen to add the corydoras "Peru Gold" into the tank as well. Since I have no intention to cross breed the two different kinds of Cory, I will like to seek for advice if they are suitable to stay in the same environment without cross-breeding.

Am planning for the future as I do not wish to see variations of Cory and limiting the lifespan of any strains of Cory in such a way. Thank you.
I dont see a problem to that. I keep all my different cories all together in a same tank before.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
yeoyeoluohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAniel_C View Post

Chance of cross breeding should be low, or almost impossible i guess. whether are they able to cross breed also depends on the "genetic distance" between species. That is to say that the more closely related species are more likely to cross breed. That is to say the the corydoras goldline, greenlines, are morphological more similar (whether are they genetically similar im not sure, im just assuming) and have a higher chance of cross breeding than say C.panda and C. sp. "Peru Gold".