Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 29-10-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchabullosa View Post
I had a 16 inch ST that had the same problem. There was a fungating ulcer with white edges, size of a twenty cent coin. It was located on the body near the tail and anal fin.
I net it out , wrapped a damp clean towel around it. Then I used a scalpel to scrape off the ulcer till it was red and raw. Then rubbed in a mixture of salt and yellow powder. The wound healed in about a month's time with no scar . The stripe there also came back.

I think you can only do this when the tiger is still relatively well and feeding. Cos my ST stopped eating after the operation for about 2 weeks!
Did it survive finally?
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
conchabullosa
Arofanatic

Yes it did for abt 1 -1.5 yrs after that episode.
But died suddenly recently from very distended belly. Did not know what happened. Wanted to send for post mortem but Dr F Chia was in midst of moving his clinic so could not accommodate.
conchabullosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes it did for abt 1 -1.5 yrs after that episode.
But died suddenly recently from very distended belly. Did not know what happened. Wanted to send for post mortem but Dr F Chia was in midst of moving his clinic so could not accommodate.
I have had a Dat that survived about that same period. But the problem surfaced and subsided a few time during this period. It died finally without having these symptoms at play....
Old 29-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
LauLanChu
Dragon

Not familiar to Datnoid. If this is similar to ulcer diesease of other fish, treatment is difficult and survival rate is low.

Just curious in Sg do we have known vet that can treat fish? Can we bring the fish to any of dog/cat vet? Think is worth it if the fish cost alot. Much better than desperately trial and error trying all different medication.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
conchabullosa
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Not familiar to Datnoid. If this is similar to ulcer diesease of other fish, treatment is difficult and survival rate is low.

Just curious in Sg do we have known vet that can treat fish? Can we bring the fish to any of dog/cat vet? Think is worth it if the fish cost alot. Much better than desperately trial and error trying all different medication.
My mistake.
The Vet is Dr Frederick Chua. Last time in Jln Kayu but If I am not wrong just moved this year to Jln Kelulut.
It is difficult to bring big fish to vet. It is even more difficult to ask the vet to do a house visit

I have brought dead fish to the clinic for postmortem. They provide a report including staining for micro-organisms. Had to treat the whole pond based on the suspected bacteria which caused the death of the fish.
conchabullosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
My mistake.
The Vet is Dr Frederick Chua. Last time in Jln Kayu but If I am not wrong just moved this year to Jln Kelulut.
Thanks. I heard about him but no chance to pay a visit. Supposed he is one and only in Sg. At least there is hope if any of our beloved fish fall sick.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #17
Oddballz
Arofanatic

Quote:
I had a 16 inch ST that had the same problem. There was a fungating ulcer with white edges, size of a twenty cent coin. It was located on the body near the tail and anal fin.
I net it out , wrapped a damp clean towel around it. Then I used a scalpel to scrape off the ulcer till it was red and raw. Then rubbed in a mixture of salt and yellow powder. The wound healed in about a month's time with no scar . The stripe there also came back.

I think you can only do this when the tiger is still relatively well and feeding. Cos my ST stopped eating after the operation for about 2 weeks!
I will not have the guts to endure such painful minor operation on my fish. I believe it take time to do it.

Even by removing my fish out of the water and squeezing the PUS or White Heads out, I took them off in less than a min and quickly placed back into the water.
Oddballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
Oddballz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin chan View Post
My condolances.
I lost my 17" IT some time back. Probaby due to the same disease.
It as started like a normal injury near my IT eye. I presume it knock against something and cut itself.
But as time goes by, the "wound" got worse. But the fish was still eating normally.
Until one day, I noticed the fish appetite was not normal and blood was oozing out from the "wound".
I tried alot of medication. Salt, purple medicine, etc. But useless. And finally, it developed pop eye...probably due to infection and was not eating at all.
Until one day, I woke up and saw it dead..
Maybe mine is a different case....but to me...seem the same.
U can see the sore near the eye....i did not take a close up on the sore as I was too sad.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Looks like the case of the same disease commonly starts from head/gills.
Can see the pop eye area has the huge bulge of Pus being accumulated.

Mine was tail area size of old 50 cents coin. Even tail area, towards it's death, Pop Eye appear on both eyes but not so protruding like your photo.
Old 29-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
Oddballz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin chan View Post
My condolances.
I lost my 17" IT some time back. Probaby due to the same disease.
It as started like a normal injury near my IT eye. I presume it knock against something and cut itself.
But as time goes by, the "wound" got worse. But the fish was still eating normally.
Until one day, I noticed the fish appetite was not normal and blood was oozing out from the "wound".
I tried alot of medication. Salt, purple medicine, etc. But useless. And finally, it developed pop eye...probably due to infection and was not eating at all.
Until one day, I woke up and saw it dead..
Maybe mine is a different case....but to me...seem the same.
U can see the sore near the eye....i did not take a close up on the sore as I was too sad.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
My personal experience with this is that the problem may come and go and at times it seem the Datnoid got healed by itself or by very simple means like salt and melafix. But in reality Is that the issue is merely dormant and it occurs again within the following months..

My observation is that it occurs in Tigers that is of larger size like 10" and above... ST and IT are more prone to this. AT, NTT and NGT not at all. I may be wrong in this.

As far as I know... There isn't really any cute. Just prolonging the inevitable death.. Sorry that this may sound so morbid but this is of my experience and also after talking to other Dat keepers..
Bro Marshy, I read and many claims that it mostly occurs size from size 10" and above. However, NGT and NTT are more prone to this. This disease (From what I read) originated from a batch of wild caught NGT.

Some claims it is contagious and will spread to any tank mates but from my own experience, it is highly contagious to only Tigers in the tank since my other sp. of fishes are doing great with zero symptoms.
Old 29-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #20
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddballz View Post
Bro Marshy, I read and many claims that it mostly occurs size from size 10" and above. However, NGT and NTT are more prone to this. This disease (From what I read) originated from a batch of wild caught NGT.

Some claims it is contagious and will spread to any tank mates but from my own experience, it is highly contagious to only Tigers in the tank since my other sp. of fishes are doing great with zero symptoms.
Hmm... I've had many NGTs come and go.. All kept from small to Big and sold off in good health... I've yet to encounter a sick NGT..