Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 27-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
missh

Default a call for doners.... of established media

hello, am in the midst of cycling my tank, trying to do it the fishless way because its kinda sad to have more than 10 fishes die in the span of 2 weeks. and having to restart all over again because my water got so cloudy which the pet shop guy told me to throw it all away and start all over again.

so to reduce the number of fishes killed during this period of cycling, i was hoping if anyone could donate or i could buy established media from you.

i am looking for gravels, filter media, or anything that could kickstart my tank with.

thanks very much! do pm me..
Old 27-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
jest1081
Dragon

did you clean the tank before cycling?
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
missh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest1081 View Post
did you clean the tank before cycling?
Yea. Rinsed it with tap water.
Old 27-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
jest1081
Dragon

try cleaning it with PP.

then retsart cycling.
you keeping guppies?

actually you should worry too much abt the cloudy water. its bact bloom, once the tank reach equilibrium everything will settle. just increase areation for that period of time. or better still dont put any fish in yet.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
sweetlips200278

Maybe u want put how you setup yr tank, might not be yr medium prob. Borrowing age medium might even made matter worst.

Try to pen down the details so the other can help to advise. Best w pic of your situation.
Old 28-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
zhuaz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest1081 View Post
try cleaning it with PP.

then retsart cycling.
you keeping guppies?

actually you should worry too much abt the cloudy water. its bact bloom, once the tank reach equilibrium everything will settle. just increase areation for that period of time. or better still dont put any fish in yet.
Bact bloom cludy water, try reduce salt, reduce feeding to reduce (waste) bio load, and reduce the number of fishes you have to reduce bio load.
zhuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
missh

jest: oh man thats quite some terms.. whats pp? yes i am still keeping guppies.. 3 females. but if i dont have fish in my tank, how do i cycle the tank unless i use the fishless cycle method?

sweetlips: when i started, which was about 2 weeks ago, i bought a small tank, 6 guppies, 1 plastic plant deco and a filter. i used a de-chlorinator + salt and filled half the tank with tap water, and another half using the water that came with the guppies. i acclimatized before putting them in the tank. soon i was left with 2 guppies, one of which gave birth. so i seperated the babies using a mini seperator. all the guppies (including babies) survived for 1 week, and they all died the day after i cleaned the filter, and changed the water. i realised i might have killed all the good bacteria by doing so. after that the tank became very very cloudy without the fishes inside. i consulted the aquarium shop keeper and he gave me a bag of water and told me to restart the process.

so now, using the water which the keeper gave, im keeping 3 females, hoping to cycle the tank using fish. its day 2 and they are still alive.

and because i think the tank too small, i have another bigger tank which is about 25 litres. this is the tank which im hoping to cycle using the fishless method.

i added de-cholrinator + salt as well as beneficial bacteria to this tank and the filter is currently running.

need to get the cycling started with hopefully aged medium and ammonia (which i am throwing in waste from the other small tank).

i'll try to post some pics of the setup if i can!!
Old 28-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
missh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuaz View Post
Bact bloom cludy water, try reduce salt, reduce feeding to reduce (waste) bio load, and reduce the number of fishes you have to reduce bio load.

i have reduced feeding, how long can they survive without food?
Old 28-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
kian_john
Senior Dragon

bro..i think u killed all the bact...when u wan do wc...dun wash ur filter..when u wan to wash ur filter dun do wc..dont do them on the same day...

Just my 3cents
kian_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
sweetlips200278

What filter are you using? Medium of filter? How much salt u use?

i dun wash my filter when wc (normal sponge filter). Even did 90% wc b4 (not v recommended).

If you really wan ammonia, i believe leaving yr deceased fish in the water will produce that and something else also.

If i buy the 6 guppies
, this is what i will do.
Sequence: 1 empty tank (w/o water), 1 sponge filter. Use all water that is bag from the shop (taking into account is the water from the same tank the guppies is scoop out). If bagged water is not enough to fill the tank, i will use a tubberware instead. Slowly i will add in my own age water (only w water conditioner) bit by bit. With more water that the fish adapt to, i can shift to the tank i wan when the fish is ready(super healthy). All this will take times.