Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
elmizze
Arofanatic

Default Root Tabs without substrate/gravel?

Hi bros, appreciate any advice I can get

I intend to keep low maintenance plants in my 2 ft tank (java moss, java fern, anubias, amazon sword). The thing is I do not intend to add any gravel/substrate. Basically, the plants will be tied to driftwoods, etc.

Can I still use root tabs such as fluorish, API, in these cases?? And, if can, how do I use them for the plants??
elmizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Royston
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmizze View Post
Hi bros, appreciate any advice I can get

I intend to keep low maintenance plants in my 2 ft tank (java moss, java fern, anubias, amazon sword). The thing is I do not intend to add any gravel/substrate. Basically, the plants will be tied to driftwoods, etc.

Can I still use root tabs such as fluorish, API, in these cases?? And, if can, how do I use them for the plants??
Bro low maintenance = no need fertilizing regime just once a week dose liquid fert after water change is good enough.

But I've never seen any Echinodorus aka Amazon Sword without any soil normally they will wither & die. And Echinodorus need high iron & loose soil to enable them to grow well.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
elmizze
Arofanatic

Oh! I'm such a noob - don't know there's such a thing as liquid fert. So, I'll go get one. Any specific brand(s) to recommend?

And, Amazon Sword is out then. Any other low maintenance plants beside java moss, java fern, and nana that I can keep in 2 ft tank without using gravel/substrate (just tied to driftwoods) and just using 2x20watt fluorescent white light and liquid fert??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Bro low maintenance = no need fertilizing regime just once a week dose liquid fert after water change is good enough.

But I've never seen any Echinodorus aka Amazon Sword without any soil normally they will wither & die. And Echinodorus need high iron & loose soil to enable them to grow well.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
burntrubber
Dragon

I've seen it done a couple of times, Echinoduros and Cryptos tied to wood. But being heavy root feeders, I guess the water column has to be pretty well dosed. But sorry I've not tried it myself.

Or you could try planting in containers, and still have a bare bottom tank. Scaping might be a challenge though. I think clay pots would look nice.

I tried it once and the Rubin loved it as it grew like mad(3 JBL fert balls and lapis sand in a small pot).
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
Royston
Dragon

Like what burnrubber have said can use pot. But imo use mineral bottle cut into size & use for pot (transparent) so don't look so out of place & place it behind a piece of driftwood.

Liquid fert many brands but most commonly use is Seachem for those planted hobbists in SG. If your pocket deeper can play with Dennerle or ADA branded fertilizers.

But "low tech" plants no need so "ON" with fert regime seriously. Just weekly dose Excel & Flourish every water change is good enough.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
elmizze
Arofanatic

Thank you bros for the advice! Any other plants to recommend?