Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 17-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #31
dizzydiscus

For filters, worked fine with sponge filters for 2X1X1 with breeding pair inside. Sponge cleaning only once or twice a week or after heavy BH feeding. Will b obvious when you see the sponge with a lot of waste particles. Should be washing the filter halfway before you see the sponge this dirty..
Old 17-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #32
dizzydiscus

For larger tanks like 3x1.5x1.5 or overcrowded but smaller tanks, preference is to hook up sponge filter to OHF. Sponge filter gets a wash down daily.. Internal white coarse foams only change once or twice a week. Can tear in half (half the thickness) to maximize the use of one piece. Just discard the top piece and put in a piece of new one below. Helps to build up the good bacteria quickly too. Have ANS mini bacteria house in OHF and additional layers over OHF when overstocked with fishes. Important to keep ammonia levels in checks.. If water surface bubbling/foaming too much, it's a sign that ammonia is high and outbreaks of disease is eminent... Also do provide more aeration if overstock. Ignore the agitated water and stronger currents.. The fishes will be happier with proper oxygen levels. Unfortunately, to grow up the juvenile discus, hard work and WC has to be done along with heavy feeding.
Old 20-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #33
Altum

Use black sponge filter is the easiest to wash and maintain your simple tank
Altum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #34
leo lim
Dragon

Setup the 3ft OHF today. Bottom layer are CR from Cannister. On top of it is wool.
Hope filtration is fine.
leo lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #35
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo lim View Post
Setup the 3ft OHF today. Bottom layer are CR from Cannister. On top of it is wool.
Hope filtration is fine.
Bro, did you switch your filtration from canister to OHF? If so, any reasons? Still learning
Jonathan_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #36
vincent2982
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ee View Post
Is the flow rate from the canister alright for them? If I direct the outflow to be hitting against the back of my tank, there shouldn't be much flow.. How do we lower ph? Currently SG waters PH about 7.5
Depend on ur load ba. I think flow against is the wall better or too much current. They prefer lower ph below 7. But if they get use to SG water should b fine. last time my discus will stress over high PH. End up i always nd to down the PH, very sianzz
vincent2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #37
leo lim
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ee View Post
Bro, did you switch your filtration from canister to OHF? If so, any reasons? Still learning
Personally find canister very troublesome to change the wool. OHF just remove from the top, can either wash or change. Somemore Discus needs frequent wool change or clean, so find OHF more convenience.

Me also still learning.
leo lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Ronald
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent2982 View Post
Depend on ur load ba. I think flow against is the wall better or too much current. They prefer lower ph below 7. But if they get use to SG water should b fine. last time my discus will stress over high PH. End up i always nd to down the PH, very sianzz
From what I know all the captive bred discus (from farm or home) thrive very well at pH 7 cos most breeders do 90-100% water change every 1-2 days.
Only wild discus (true wild and not those home bred wild) will need lower pH.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #39
acidburn_120

Have 4 discus among other 20 smaller fishes in my planted 422. So far all doing well. Water change once a week 20%. Running on a diy sump and ehiem 2260.
acidburn_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #40
mrnyunus
Dragon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydiscus View Post
For larger tanks like 3x1.5x1.5 or overcrowded but smaller tanks, preference is to hook up sponge filter to OHF. Sponge filter gets a wash down daily.. Internal white coarse foams only change once or twice a week. Can tear in half (half the thickness) to maximize the use of one piece. Just discard the top piece and put in a piece of new one below. Helps to build up the good bacteria quickly too. Have ANS mini bacteria house in OHF and additional layers over OHF when overstocked with fishes. Important to keep ammonia levels in checks.. If water surface bubbling/foaming too much, it's a sign that ammonia is high and outbreaks of disease is eminent... Also do provide more aeration if overstock. Ignore the agitated water and stronger currents.. The fishes will be happier with proper oxygen levels. Unfortunately, to grow up the juvenile discus, hard work and WC has to be done along with heavy feeding.
Good read..everydAy i learn sumthing new...water surface foaming or lots of bubbles means ammonia is high?? How or where did u come abt this info bro..am curious thks
mrnyunus is offline   Reply With Quote