Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 17-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
war-z
Dragon

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing knowledge... Good write-up bro..
Cheers,
war-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
snowhusky

Thumbs up

Thumbs up bro, great write up for blackie newbies...
Old 17-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
Delon

Good details
Old 17-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
uluaking

Hi all, given my limited experience on Black diamond P13... Will try to share with fellow brothers/sisters on how to identiify PDR/Grading of Black Diamonds

Here are the following on how i grade these rays.....

1. Spots should be white even when young pups....

It is always encouraged to buy rays when they are conditioned. Conditioned means stable when stable down the pups will enhance its base color and spots. For PDR/Black Diamond, the spots MUST be white in color. 6 inches and above pups are deemed white spotted. Should not be any yellowish spot throught the whole body.

2. Spots rows from centre to skirt....

PDR have at most 4 rows of spots being identified as high grade of PDR. Some have 5th row spots but minimal can be see. 321 pdr are termed 3 rows of spots only. Below pic illustrated on how to see how many rows of spots from a ray. For a black diamond, 5th row and 6th row can be seen visibily well. 6th row of spots for BD will be one grade higher. But Big spotted BD most of the time has full 5 rows spots also term high grade bd like this pic.

3. Skirt spots

For BD, skirt spots should be continuous with minimum break off point. Some BD have 2 rows of skirt spots thus being termed 6th row. PDR do not have skirt spots at all.

4. Spots in Eye

For BD, Most of the BD have spots in eyes..... the more spot the better to enhance the blue lens effect thus many brothers here termed blue eyes... But i do notice some BD eye dont have that much spot in the eye. So termed as another grading on BD. As for PDR, some have and some dont have as well.

5. Spots around eye....

For BD, Spots surounding the eyes should be as much as possible..... so when they grow bigger .... the whole eye portion is white with spots.. PDR do have such features as well.

6. Thorns on the tail....

According to Taiwan identification from what i learn.... 3 rows of thorns should be situated on the tails.....

7. Flag shaped and short tail....

When BD/PDR are young, their tails should be relatively shorter than the body. One look give u an impression of short tail feeling kinda identification. No exact lenght is being documented. PDR/BD alll have FLAG tail.....

8. Under belly spotting ....

Some BD have underbelly spotting.... the more the merrier... termed graded as another higher grade catergory. Some BD dont have. PDR most of them dont have .... only high grade PDR will have such spots prominent when they grow bigger...

9. BD grading ..

BD have Thousand Island BD, Big spotted BD, Eclispe BD ...... if any BD comprising all or any 2 of these are of course a much higher grade compared to normal BD ...... so if u have possession of a bd that has all 3 mentioned.... that is a priceless piece ..... like the pic attached ..... the piece had 2 of the above mentioned category. PDR is being grade as such too but spot sure definitely be lesser

10. Base Color of BD/PDR

Base color of the pups should be either black/grey based... when gradually become adult.... it MUST be Jet black.... Grey based ones when young have a high potential in grooming.

Enjoy Ray keeping bros/sis...
Old 17-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
V informative and v gd efforts......I was in qh and saw many wc BDs.....the spots were totally all over e place and irregular......non-rounded shaped....was really wondering why.....10 inches already got ti.....
WC rays ..... are generally mulnutritioned due to unavailability of food resources in the wild. They dun get to eat everyday. So a 10 inches WC BD is actually older in age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
Good write up , good for newbies like me learning how to see a quality ray
Thanks bro just sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by war-z View Post
Thanks for sharing knowledge... Good write-up bro..
Cheers,
Thanks bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhusky View Post
Thumbs up bro, great write up for blackie newbies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delon View Post
Good details
Thanks brothers ....
Old 17-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
Luc
Senior Dragon

Thanks bro for insight....but wc I feel is diff and not as "perfect" as cb....rims everything swee swee even spots also rounded and large. Hmmm...
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Thanks bro for insight....but wc I feel is diff and not as "perfect" as cb....rims everything swee swee even spots also rounded and large. Hmmm...
sure do bro ...... cb are ones starting from birth already in tank..... of course definitely better
Old 17-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Luc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluaking View Post
sure do bro ...... cb are ones starting from birth already in tank..... of course definitely better
Yes Guess conditions in wild n wif many other rays together created all these imperfectness....even tails got bitten off in most cases for rays larger than 10 inches
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Gene, thx for posting this. will be very helpful for my next upgrading project ...
naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
gko
Dragon

Very good info bro gene! Cheers
gko is offline   Reply With Quote