Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 20-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #71
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
You sure it's 40++?? That time already got 70++, now dunno liao. I add some del, 2 laps, 2 weeksii and many more. I lost count liao.
bro your bioload no joke!

how big is your tank again
?
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #72
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
bro your bioload no joke!

how big is your tank again
?
Got 2 x 2ft, 2 x 4ft and 1 x 6ft. Changing water will take me a day leave.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #73
TuNA
Dragon

Hi guys,

Need some help here. I have this endy which has been behaving very weird for the past 6 months. It is always inverted in a c shape, occasionally swimming normally. It stills eats MP actively. But the posture of the fish bothers me a lot. Anyone can advise on this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	281785  
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #74
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
wah win liao! hahaha... 2ft for the juveniles i guess? 4ft for the smaller species?
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #75
Ben
Dragon

Quote:
even with so many tanks, how you squeeze 100+ bichirs in? i am assuming some of these bichirs are fairly large? i heard of someone whose bichirs are stacked 3-4 story in his tank, dont tell me its you
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #76
blackwolf

just post some picture of the endy at

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...19#post8455519
Old 20-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #77
AQUAHOBBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
Kohaku also mentioned that it was awarded 3rd in AQ09. I did saw that 3 specimens there that time. But I can't remember how they look like exactly now.

What I notice about those brown buetti is that the body is mainly brown based while palmas have light markings covering almost their entire body besides those black markings. Spottings on the head of those brown buettis are less obvious compared to palmas. The markings on the pectoral fins of those brown buettis are not as obvious as palmas.

Could those really be a buetti variant or just low quality palmas?

Any inputs? I have been staring at those brown buettis and palmas palmas images and I do believe they could be 2 different species with some pretty obvious differences mentioned above.
Some of my good friends and customers have called me up today to ask about what they actually bought after reading this, they were worried they had bought something else other than the authentic Polypterus Palmas Palmas, so I thought I'd offer what I know, and clarify the queries at the same time.

I hope I may partake in this discussion as a fish mad individual, nothing more.

Regarding the "brown Buettis" in question, some of the fish in the two websites referenced from are likely to be Palmas Palmas. Bichir ID has always been confusing, while D's Room has been a great source of quality pictures, with all due respect, we do not see them identifying P. Palmas Palmas as a seperate species. Instead, they have another species they call "brown buettikoferi".

In fact, in D's Room referenced in Bichir Thread 44 Post #313, P. Retropinnis is actually what we now know as P. Mokelembembe.

At some point in time, it was actually correct. But this might suggest what we google may not always return factual truth.

This picture has been used and abused too much. In another web (or was it a forum post), the picture was used to differentiate between P. Palmas Buettikoferi and P. Palmas Palmas. Patterning on Polypterus from the Palmas complex do not change very much once they are out of their juvenile stage even as they grow, so although both pictures do not show the same side, there is no way both pictures show the same fish in different stages of its life, unless it was capably of growing an extra dorsal finlet too. It does look like 8 finlets on one, and 9 finlets on the other, but I could be wrong on this one.

While we cannot rule out the possibility that there might exist another Polypterus species/variant from the Palmas complex waiting to be discovered, it is without a doubt that the few "brown buettikoferi"s pointed out are P. Palmas Palmas.

And for why some P. Palmas Palmas look slightly different, we would do well to note that Polypterus are capable of displaying different colours depending on the substrate, water conditions and stress levels, amongst others. Colour balance and lighting are other factors, but in general, P. Palmas Palmas have a more regular dark banded patterning than P. Palmas Buettikoferi, and generally have higher contrast.

This is a snap of my pet P. Palmas Palmas :

And this is the same fish again, same tank, couple of minutes between the two snaps :

Slightly different colours, despite similar post processing for the photos.

I'm no expert, so I stand to be corrected.
Old 20-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #78
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUAHOBBY View Post
Some of my good friends and customers have called me up today to ask about what they actually bought after reading this, they were worried they had bought something else other than the authentic Polypterus Palmas Palmas, so I thought I'd offer what I know, and clarify the queries at the same time.

I hope I may partake in this discussion as a fish mad individual, nothing more.

Regarding the "brown Buettis" in question, some of the fish in the two websites referenced from are likely to be Palmas Palmas. Bichir ID has always been confusing, while D's Room has been a great source of quality pictures, with all due respect, we do not see them identifying P. Palmas Palmas as a seperate species. Instead, they have another species they call "brown buettikoferi".

In fact, in D's Room referenced in Bichir Thread 44 Post #313, P. Retropinnis is actually what we now know as P. Mokelembembe.

At some point in time, it was actually correct. But this might suggest what we google may not always return factual truth.

This picture has been used and abused too much. In another web (or was it a forum post), the picture was used to differentiate between P. Palmas Buettikoferi and P. Palmas Palmas. Patterning on Polypterus from the Palmas complex do not change very much once they are out of their juvenile stage even as they grow, so although both pictures do not show the same side, there is no way both pictures show the same fish in different stages of its life, unless it was capably of growing an extra dorsal finlet too. It does look like 8 finlets on one, and 9 finlets on the other, but I could be wrong on this one.

While we cannot rule out the possibility that there might exist another Polypterus species/variant from the Palmas complex waiting to be discovered, it is without a doubt that the few "brown buettikoferi"s pointed out are P. Palmas Palmas.

And for why some P. Palmas Palmas look slightly different, we would do well to note that Polypterus are capable of displaying different colours depending on the substrate, water conditions and stress levels, amongst others. Colour balance and lighting are other factors, but in general, P. Palmas Palmas have a more regular dark banded patterning than P. Palmas Buettikoferi, and generally have higher contrast.

This is a snap of my pet P. Palmas Palmas :

And this is the same fish again, same tank, couple of minutes between the two snaps :

Slightly different colours, despite similar post processing for the photos.

I'm no expert, so I stand to be corrected.
I sincerely apologise if I've caused any misunderstanding.

What I have posted are merely what I have found from the web. You are right. Not everything out there is correct. Those are just some stuffs which I found and read about. When I first saw those "brown buetti" I was puzzled too.

I've always mentioned to others. Never take every single word I post seriously as I could also go wrong. I'm not any expert but just a hobbyist who go around the web digging out info.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #79
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
Thank you guys, you have successfully made me decide to sell my 2 silver arowana, 1 ERH & giraffe catfish... and pouring my red quartz sand back into my tank... and trying to conquer the Pokedex of bichir collection.

Thanks for burning my pocket also
I TOLD YOU SO MUCH EARLIER LOR!!!!! Hahahaha.. There's never been a better time to keep bichirs than now!!
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #80
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNA View Post
Hi guys,

Need some help here. I have this endy which has been behaving very weird for the past 6 months. It is always inverted in a c shape, occasionally swimming normally. It stills eats MP actively. But the posture of the fish bothers me a lot. Anyone can advise on this ?
Hi bro, this piece most like its spine got problem. I encounter similiar cases before. The endi can still feed but just cant get to the straight posture again. Its consider a "handicapped" bichir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
I TOLD YOU SO MUCH EARLIER LOR!!!!! Hahahaha.. There's never been a better time to keep bichirs than now!!
Haha.. Cant agree with you more bro. Now seeing so many wc variants and rarely imported bichirs coming into Singapore really makes us bichir hobbists' blood "boiled" to the max..

Its NEVER too late to start and is really best time to do it now.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote