Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Closed Thread

Old 23-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #61
derickyam
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN
this is the strange thing we all know rays can sting but not many people seam to know of anyone who has been stung buy a ray in the home tank or pond

has anyone ever seen a ray use its tail to try to sting anything ?

i have only ever seen one very mad male motoro that would attack anything that entered the water the sting attack of this ray was very very fast
tats interesting bro. from your observation, any strange acts/moves tat we can see from the ray before it starts to attack using its sting?
Old 23-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #62
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickyam
tats interesting bro. from your observation, any strange acts/moves tat we can see from the ray before it starts to attack using its sting?
i know alot of people like to keep their rays in a bare bottom tank so i wont push how important i think it is to use substrate with rays

and i dont even know for sure if this is true but i would say that we stand more chance of getting stung if the tank is bare as the rays have no were to hide in a bare tank with substrate if the ray is scared it will bury its self

the motoro that i have seen strike was in a LFS and a customer had returned it saying the ray was to dangerous to keep

i told the LFS owner that the motoro looked sick he then told me their is nothing wrong with the ray and watch this he then put a net into the water and the ray stuck the net 3 times with very very fast speed like a scorpion bang bang bang from what i saw if a ray want to strike it would be very hard top get out of its way

Old 23-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #63
liquidnoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronation
My question

I am think of keeping rays in a pond width 5 ft, length about 7ft. Depth 3ft

Can?

The suction is right at the bottom, will this harn the rays which are bottom dwellers

Wanted to ask this questions for a long time

Thanks in advance
hey u can actually try proxy farming.
we sahll call it Singapore ray breeding Pond. hehehe
with ur size plus good huge filteration n tons of food it shd not be hard.
Please refer to my breeding ray thread

Old 23-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #64
liquidnoise

dun really wanna post in the ray "main" thread (sum1 asked abt feeding mussels)
Okay my experience on different kind of food.
My ray eats the following
1. SW
2. MP(mainly)
3. BF
4. si hum aka cockles (loves, get super frantic)
5. tin foil barbs (6 all beheaded coz its the only part tat can fit the mouth)

dun eat
1. mussels

not tried
1. sotong aka squid
2. black worm
3. pellets
4. earthworms
5. snails

Old 23-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #65
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnoise
dun really wanna post in the ray "main" thread (sum1 asked abt feeding mussels)
Okay my experience on different kind of food.
My ray eats the following
1. SW
2. MP(mainly)
3. BF
4. si hum aka cockles (loves, get super frantic)
5. tin foil barbs (6 all beheaded coz its the only part tat can fit the mouth)

dun eat
1. mussels

not tried
1. sotong aka squid
2. black worm
3. pellets
4. earthworms
5. snails

my rays will eat mussels you just need to cut them up into small bits and throw them in at the same time like a sea food cocktail

As for SW none ever get past my aro or other tank mates

a freind of mine feeds the frozen crab sticks and says his rays love them

Old 23-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #66
radiomad
Dragon

yeap ... heard in the temperate countries, prawn and other live food may not be so readily available so crab sticks are an alternative. but do becareful cos its manufactured food and may not be a good daily staple for rays cos of possible artifical additives.
Old 23-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #67
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomad
yeap ... heard in the temperate countries, prawn and other live food may not be so readily available so crab sticks are an alternative. but do becareful cos its manufactured food and may not be a good daily staple for rays cos of possible artifical additives.
i think it has added food color which could be a problem but its just pressed fish of different types so it could be a good varied diet

Old 24-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #68
liquidnoise

I am starting to get excited. I have strong hints that my female having little ray in her.
reasons
1. my male now seems very afraid of the female. Usually the male will eat most of it coz he is more agressive in eating. but now my female is even moe agressive.
2. my female seldom swim up to grad food now she is doing it very often.
3. my female seems like eats a lot more. Usually my pair cun finish 10 MP so normally I give 6~8 n only 1 feed. It seems more female is bottomless. morning give my pair 10. night feed abt 8. plus a few SW tat my aro doesnt wan.
question.
1. How to tell physically ( i have seen motoro tats abt to due, can see movements but my rays are quite fat so I dunno how to tell).
2. How much to feed per feed? I mean now tat the female seems aggressive.
3. I m getting a little afraid for my male coz the front seems to curl up. But after a while when start swimming like normal. sum times goes down also. He is still eating but really much lesser then b4.
4. My male seems to hide behind the air disk.
so far male seems alright but I wanna check.
5. death curls usually starts frm the back. I would thing its very stiff even when swimming. But mine seems like its just trying to suck in more water. I have double the feed and the number of MP. Both my ray have like humps all the way from day till night so issit coz my male is too full? (like aro gasp for water more when they are very full.

I am both very happy and very worried. pls help

Old 24-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #69
T1KARMANN

it could be with more food you will need to do more water changes

when my rays are full they also lift up the front lip of the disk like they are breathing heavy

i dont think the male will get harmed if the female is having pups

im not sure on how long it takes for rays to have the pups (i think maybe 9-12 weeks )

did you see them breed and was the females disk chewed from the male

Old 24-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #70
alanng
Dragon

wow.. i tink u going to be father.. lolz... aniwae after my teacup pass away, today i bought my motoro ray... cool nice.. after feeding the ray keep on curling up the disc, doing in a veri fast motion. i duno what is wrong? or isit normal? filtering.. what kind of stuff i nid to put inside my filter? at the moment i have have sponges...
Closed Thread