Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 17-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Aris
Arofanatic

Default Straits Times wants to edit out parts of Chee’s letter to Chan

Straits Times wants to edit out parts of Chee’s letter to Chan

anuary 17, 2015 by andrewlow

On Friday, 16 January 2015, the Straits Times published a letter from the Minister of Social and Family Development (MSF), Chan Chun Sing.

The letter, titled “Chee sacrifices S’pore to win points overseas: Chan Chun Sing”, was a response to an earlier letter by Dr Chee Soon Juan, secretary general of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), on 18 December in the same newspaper.

In his letter, Dr Chee had written about the issue of income inequality in Singapore, among other things.

Dr Chee had also written two articles for the Wall Street Journal and the Huffington Post, which Mr Chan had also taken issue with.

Mr Chan had, on Friday, written two letters – one to the Straits Times and the other to the Huffington Post.

Both letters had attacked Dr Chee’s character, particularly the letter to the Huffington Post in which Mr Chan described the former as “a political failure”.

Dr Chee in turn responded to this letter from Mr Chan and said that it was troubling that the PAP has continued its “habit of engaging in the politics of name-calling and personal destruction.”

“It is disappointing that the younger generation of ministers like Mr Chan has not set a new direction for the conduct of politics in Singapore instead on relying on that of a bygone era,” he said. (Read here.)

Dr Chee has also written a reply to Mr Chan’s Friday letter to the Straits Times. In that letter, Mr Chan had accused Dr Chee of “[playing] to the foreign gallery in writing in its media.”

Mr Chan also said Dr Chee “sacrifices S’pore to win points overseas”, according to the Straits Times.

In response, Dr Chee sent a letter to the Straits Times on Friday.

In his letter, Dr Chee had cited how former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew had himself “rather uncharitably likened Singaporeans to indolent animals where ‘spurs had to be stuck into the hide’ to make us work harder” in a “Western magazine”.

In an interview with the National Geographic in 2009, Mr Lee was asked if he thought “people just get lazy or what”.

Mr Lee replied, comparing Singaporeans with migrants:

“No, I think the spurs are not stuck on your hinds. They are part of the herd, why-go-faster? But when you’re lagging behind, you must go faster to catch up with the herd. I’m quite sure that there are children of the migrants who strive arduously. When they grow up in the same schools as the Singaporeans, the same playing fields, same environment and they begin to adopt Singaporean habits in the ways of living and thinking. So I’m quite sure they’d become like us. Well, because we’re shrinking in our population, our fertility ratio is about 1.29.”

Dr Chee said it was not him who is undermining Singapore, as Mr Chan had alleged.

“It is not I but the PAP who are persuading young Singaporeans not to pursue a university education while giving foreign students generous financial grants to study at our universities,” Dr Chee said.

“It is not I but the Government who has allowed in millions of foreigners to work in Singapore at the expense of Singaporeans’ jobs and wages.”

However, according to a note posted on its Facebook page on Saturday, the SDP said the Straits Times has declined to publish the letter unless it was allowed to make edits to it.

“The Straits Times has refused to publish Dr Chee Soon Juan’s letter to Mr Chan Chun Sing,” the SDP said. “It wanted to edit out the essence of Dr Chee’s reply. When Dr Chee said that he would like the letter to be published in full, the Straits Times refused.”

Here is Dr Chee’s letter in response to Mr Chan’s accusations, in full. The parts in brackets are the parts which the SDP says the Straits Times wants to edit out before publication.

It is not I who is sacrificing Singapore

In his letter ‘Chee sacrifices S’pore to win points overseas: Chan Chun Sing’ (ST, January 16, 2015), Minister Chan suggests that I am anti-Singapore because I publish op-eds in the international media.

I did not write these pieces to criticise Singapore, I wrote them to criticise PAP policies. The PAP and Singapore are two different things. We must not equate one with the other.

The reason I have written in these news sites is because Singaporean newspapers are reluctant to publish my pieces. Just in the last three month, the Straits Times has rejected all three of my op-eds which I submitted.

[If Mr Chan insists that I am undermining Singapore, then he should note that it is not I but Mr Lee Kuan Yew who, in an interview with National Geographic, a Western magazine, rather uncharitably likened Singaporeans to indolent animals where “spurs had to be stuck into the hide” to make us work harder.

It is not I but the PAP who are persuading young Singaporeans not to pursue a university education while giving foreign students generous financial grants to study at our universities.

It is not I but the Government who has allowed in millions of foreigners to work in Singapore at the expense of Singaporeans’ jobs and wages.]

Mr Chan should not be directing his anger at me.

He says that I betrayed Mr Chiam See Tong. Former High Court Justice Warren Khoo who presided over the trial between Mr Chiam and the SDP said that he could find no malicious behaviour on the part of the SDP since the Central Executive Committee did attempt to seek reconciliation with Mr Chiam.

To be sure, Mr Chiam has contributed significantly to Singapore and the SDP honours him. We will do this by inviting him to our 35th anniversary dinner to be held later this year.

The differences between the SDP and him are miniscule compared to the problems Singaporeans are facing. It is important that we come together and work for the good of our nation.

There are genuine differences in how the SDP and PAP want to take Singapore forward. On this we can have an honest, even robust, debate. But let us not continue to demonise each other just because we hold different views.

Singaporeans want us to have a contest of ideas, not call each other names.

Chee Soon Juan

Secretary-General

Singapore Democratic Party

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015...etter-to-chan/

Reading the recent exchanges between Chan Chun Seng and Dr. Chee Soon Juan, it is disturbing to say the least about the integrity of the new generation leaders resorting to gutter politics to rebut views of the opposition. Character assassination seems to be what our government leaders are good at, even Lee Hsien Loong is a strong advocate of using this means to attack his oppositions.

Is this what we want from our leaders? Instead of debating point by point the arguments put forth, Chan Chun Seng took liberties in taking pot shots at Dr. Chee. In the past, I was one of those who were unimpressed with Dr. Chee and his antics. I have changed my mind in recent times and believe he has changed and matured as a politician. I will vote this guy if he contest in my ward. I might also vote SDP.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
leong26

Chee Soon Juan responds to Chan Chun Sing

Mr Chan Chun Sing is certainly an accomplished man in Singapore. He has risen quickly through the ranks of the army and appointed a minister. I commend him on his remarkable achievement, there is much to be admired.

I have, unfortunately or otherwise, chosen a different path. It is, admittedly, not a conventional path and, certainly, not one that leads to power, privilege and a high salary. In this respect Mr Chan is right, I have not succeeded.

I have instead undertaken to speak up for the people of Singapore in what was, to put it mildly, a very difficult political terrain.

Nevertheless, I am proud of my achievements, as I am sure Mr Chan is of his. But I do want to sound him a note of caution: When we attain our goals in life, we should not look down and criticise others who have yet to achieve theirs.

Even if I have failed in Mr Chan's eyes, he must resist the urge to denigrate. Wasn't it Albert Einstein who once said: “You never fail until you stop trying”? I have not stopped trying and I don't think I will.

I do, however, find Mr Chan's comments troubling on two fronts:

The first is the PAP's out-dated practice of stigmatising failure. This is unfortunate. I want to tell my fellow Singaporeans, especially students, that we must not be afraid to fail. It is from our failures that we learn and become better persons and go on to achieve great things.

The second has to do with PAP's habit of engaging in the politics of name-calling and personal destruction. It is disappointing that the younger generation of ministers like Mr Chan has not set a new direction for the conduct of politics in Singapore instead on relying on that of a bygone era.

How does calling me a failure help to solve the problems that Singaporeans face? The more the PAP engages in mud-slinging and ignore the grave problems that confront our nation, the more dire will be the lot of our people.

For the sake of Singaporeans, let us go beyond such an un-constructive form of politics which Singaporeans detest and graduate to a more mature level of contestation of ideas which the people deserve.

To this end, I repeat my invitation to Mr Chan and his PAP colleagues to debate me and my SDP colleagues on issues such as CPF, healthcare, housing population, education, etc that Singaporeans care about.

Chee Soon Juan

http://yoursdp.org/news/chee_soon_ju...015-01-16-5938
Old 17-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Guppies Onli
Dragon

I love this part;
When we attain our goals in life, we should not look down and criticise others who have yet to achieve theirs.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
hkh
Arofanatic

Remember Khaw Boon Wan said "Smaller Medisave means you're lazy and work less......"
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
kenza
Senior Dragon

Dr Chee has my respect. He tone down alot and has become much wisher.
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
leong26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
Remember Khaw Boon Wan said "Smaller Medisave means you're lazy and work less......"
Ya , work and earns $1000 a month ones are all lazy with no 上进心

Last edited by leong26; 17-01-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 17-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
hkh
Arofanatic

He earns big bucks but only paid $8 for his heart op........think the doctors opened him up but see no heart inside......... that's why so cheap.......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
leong26

Quote:
He earns big bucks but only paid $8 for his heart op........think the doctors opened him up but see no heart inside......... that's why so cheap.......
This is funny
Old 17-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
tian ya ren
Dragon

Quote:
no heart but full of SHIT
tian ya ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

I really like the part regarding failure. Our society on the whole does not accept failure and we are so afraid to fail. Because of this, we always choose the "safer" and "tested" route in life.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote