Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 27-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #71
kutekoi
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessNowHere View Post
Catch this beauty out and take some pictures, here's my SHOWA...

HaHa! This SHOWA is my model KOI inside my pond so far, nice right???
Bro, thanks for sharing. Your showa looks good to me. But, I'm a newbie so can't comment much on it's quality.

My kois are, like bro Sleepyman said, garden kois too. But I don't think mine will win in comp. What is important is I enjoy watching and feeding them everyday, and it's a joy to see them develop over time.

It appears you are enjoying your kois too, and to me that's the most important thing as a hobbyist.
kutekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #72
nelsonq

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutekoi View Post
Bro, thanks for sharing. Your showa looks good to me. But, I'm a newbie so can't comment much on it's quality.

My kois are, like bro Sleepyman said, garden kois too. But I don't think mine will win in comp. What is important is I enjoy watching and feeding them everyday, and it's a joy to see them develop over time.It appears you are enjoying your kois too, and to me that's the most important thing as a hobbyist.
agree entirely....
Old 27-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #73
SuccessNowHere

Thanks Bro Sleepyman, Kutekoi, Nelsong for the comments on my Showa

I bag home this on 14th July from Nippon Farm, quite ex lor cos chosen from the pond behind. Don't know how to tell the age and sex, size aroun 16-18cm, so just a small koi.

I love this showa due to its unique pattern.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #74
SuccessNowHere

On Tuesday, I did a 50% clean up on those filter media(Jap mat, Bio-home, Ceremic rings), rinse them by using the existing pond water, super dirty although new set up of only almost 3mths, guess is due to small pond and over-stocking

Added in 2 tablespoon of bacterial Powder that I bot from MAX after cleaning, change 25% of the pond water. Last night, the water parameter as follow :

ph : 7.4
Ammonia : 0.5mg/l
Nitrite : 0.5mg/l
Nitrate : 50mg/l

Need some advice from those Bros here, from the reading, I guess the ph, NO2, and NO3 is not so bad right? But the Nitrate is always remain very high at my pond, will it cause danger to the kois? I did heard that water plants will helps in reduce the Nitrate, but I afraid kois will eat those the plant's roots, I did come across those plants that are tied on the driftwood at the aquarium, will they be a better option?

Thanks
Old 30-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #75
SuccessNowHere

HeeHee! Due to the small pond I have, I can only own those mini and small kois. Really admire those big Kois that you all keep the pond. Any comments on these 2 cuties?

Ginrin Sanke

Kohaku
Old 30-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #76
noidea
Dragon

Quote:
On Tuesday, I did a 50% clean up on those filter media(Jap mat, Bio-home, Ceremic rings), rinse them by using the existing pond water, super dirty although new set up of only almost 3mths, guess is due to small pond and over-stocking

Added in 2 tablespoon of bacterial Powder that I bot from MAX after cleaning, change 25% of the pond water. Last night, the water parameter as follow :

ph : 7.4
Ammonia : 0.5mg/l
Nitrite : 0.5mg/l
Nitrate : 50mg/l

Need some advice from those Bros here, from the reading, I guess the ph, NO2, and NO3 is not so bad right? But the Nitrate is always remain very high at my pond, will it cause danger to the kois? I did heard that water plants will helps in reduce the Nitrate, but I afraid kois will eat those the plant's roots, I did come across those plants that are tied on the driftwood at the aquarium, will they be a better option?

Thanks
I think your Ammonia and Nitrite show your filter haven't mature yet. So don't clean all your filter material at one go....it take a few month for it to mature.

Nitrate at 50 is ok.....to reduce Nitrate you have to change more water. IMHO.

My pond Nitrate is at 50 to 100 even with daily water change of 5%.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #77
kutekoi
Arofanatic

As bro Noidea said, your filter is probably not matured or could be over stocking. Try to feed less now until ammonia and nitrite are consistently zero. These 2 are dangerous for your koi.

You should consider adding good bacteria weekly to speed up the maturing of your filter.

Plants can help denitrification but not as efficient as a good filter system. IMHO better to invest more time and $ to boost up your filter system for now eg expand capacity and get better quality bio media.
kutekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #78
Wilgan
Dragon

Can't advise much on the water parameters as I only got PH meter. I monitor the water conditions base on observations.

Really like your 4.5 step muratan kohaku. The pattern is very nice. Let me know if you want to let go next time.

Your ginrin sanke looks bulky and has nice ginrin scales. But the big black spot may not appeal to everyone though.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #79
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Quote:
HeeHee! Due to the small pond I have, I can only own those mini and small kois. Really admire those big Kois that you all keep the pond. Any comments on these 2 cuties?

Kohaku
nice Kohaku where you bought it?
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #80
Wilgan
Dragon

http://www.nipponkoifarm.com/?q=node

Is this your Kohaku?
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote