Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 29-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #61
nolife89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbabyrabbit View Post
Very nice orange clarkii!! Nice big claws!! I'm also worried that my crayfish gets bigger and bigger each day and soon the fish tank is too small..>.<
thanks. btw it's been about a year since i last logged in... due to NS committments. i've since sold the little orange and got this new guy in, as well as upgraded to a bigger tank...

i believe this is a cherax holthuisi but not the usual orange color ones...

Last edited by nolife89; 29-08-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 30-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #62
sky123

very nice cray! how do you actually differentiate male or female? I search some info online but when come to live, I can't tell its male or female can share some tips?
Old 30-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #63
cosmex

hmm just wondering, is there something wrong with my lobster? why got the those brownish stuff on its underside and near the joints of the legs. newbie here pardon me if its a noob question
Old 01-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #64
courtney

Wow, I like them, very nice.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #65
cosmex

anyway what filter/air pumps are u all using for ur crayfish?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #66
smuldge
Arofanatic

Default New Cray

Hi All,

Just got my blue cray 2 weeks ago. Already molted in the weekend.
Need your help to ID wat species of crayfish is mine.

Cherux Destructor ?
Procambarus Alleni ?

How to differentiate Chrerux and Procambarus ?
smuldge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #67
CrayfishLover

Definitely a Pracambarus...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #68
CrayfishLover

This is also known as Orange Tip and you are right in saying that it is a holthuisi... Many have accorded this cray as closely related to the Apricot...

I'm actually a newbie in this forum, but not exactly new to crayfish... I've been rearing crays for the past 2 years...

My experience in crays species covers:

a) Cherax Quads (Red claws)
b) Cherax Orange tip
c) Cherax Apricot
d) Cherax Destructors
e) Cherax Hoa Creek
f) Cherax Blue Moon
g) Cherax Black Preissi
h) Cherax Red Brick
i) Clarkiis (Red, Orange, Blue and Snow White)

I currently have 4 2" tanks, with one of them being reserved as a breeding tank... And now I'm keeping only Cheraxes... Love the shape of the new claws and their aggressiveness... Now trying to mate my Blue Moons, Orange Tips and Apricots...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #69
CrayfishLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmex View Post
anyway what filter/air pumps are u all using for ur crayfish?
I've started using an undergravel filter tray with pebbles just enough to cover the bottom, and connect the undergravel pipe to an overhead filter... So far it's been great...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #70
CrayfishLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuldge View Post
Hi All,

Just got my blue cray 2 weeks ago. Already molted in the weekend.
Need your help to ID wat species of crayfish is mine.

Cherux Destructor ?
Procambarus Alleni ?

How to differentiate Chrerux and Procambarus ?
The most obvious is the shape of their claws actually, and as well as their sexual organs... Cheraxes usually have smooth, "meatier" claws, while Procambarus usually have claws that look way larger, but slimmer, and their claws are usually "spiny"...

Procambaruses usually grow really fast in their earlier stages... Mine moulted 3 times in about 6 weeks... Just make sure you leave the moulted shell inside for about a week... They will eat the moulted shell to supplement the calcium as their new shells are really really soft... And try not to handle them when they just moulted, cos injuries are easily caused even if you just give them a pinch... If the moulted shells are left untouched, then you can just remove it...

Tanks need to be kept in a cooler temperature at preferably 26 - 28 degrees for Procambaruses... pH level you can maintain at about 7.5 to 8... Put in some calcium supplements like limestone or coral chips... These will also help make the water "hard" and stabilise the pH to about 8... Try not to have the pH level go above 8.5...

Never change ALL the water at one shot... Once a month replace about 40% of the tank's water with de-chlorinated water will be fine...

And oh yes, you may see some white deposits on the tank just above the water level... These are actually calcium deposits which is common in healthy tanks... So not to worry about it...