Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
Eric_kwa

Default babies season

season....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100058 C.sp nova babies.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	242680   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100059 C.sp nova babies.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	242681   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100060 C.sp nova babies.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	242682   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100061 C.sp nova babies.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	242683  
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #22
hongzai
Arofanatic

nice crayfish. i deciding to keep them or not. is it easy to keep them?
hongzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
enhanzed

im looking for female clarkii ...anyone wants to let go ?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #24
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_kwa View Post
season....
wah.. ur christmas tree very nice.. wat kind of parameters do they need to breed? do u keep ur male and female together or u only put them together when u wanna breed them?
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
hiighpriestess

Exclamation Help!

Hi all, sorry for re-posting, but I created my own thread and didn't get any help at all Hope you guys don't mind!

I'm new to rearing crayfish, and recently adopted a very beautiful Red Claw from a very helpful and generous member of the forum (not sure if he's comfortable with having his identity enclosed, so I'll play it safe )

- My pH is stable at 7.5
- Temperature gradually fluctuates between 21-27 (when I'm home, my cray gets to enjoy aircon in my room)
- 1.5 ft tank with 1mm pebbles and coral chips as substrate to about 1.5" in height
- A small HOF that I plan to replace, as it isn't strong enough at all- have alot of crap floating around my tank!
- A Hailea airpump with 2 spherical air stones on either end of the tank
- A few pieces of driftwood, a small ball of christmas moss and (what I think is) a nana plant tied to driftwood, as well as 3 tubes stacked together for the cray to hide in.

My Red Claw is about 3 inches long from claw to tail, and was initially quite shy when I introduced him to the tank, but is now slightly more curious and comes out from his favourite hiding place under the driftwood to come look at me, haha..
I feed him Hikari Crab Cuisine- don't really mind spending a little more on food since there's only one cray.

1. How much should I feed him, and how often?
He readily took 8 pellets, but I didn't dare to give any more because it seems like alot, especially since he likes gardening my christmas moss..

2. Which HOF filter is efficient, quiet & suitable for my tank?
I've got lots of tiny pieces of debris (shit and dirt) floating around my tank, as well as bits of moss that my cray keeps clipping and always clogs up my tiny filter, so I have to clear it every day.
I'll stretch my budget to $50, but of course would rather spend less for a good filter :P

3. I'm currently using Nutrafin Aqua Plus to condition my water; should I still get or replace it with Seachem Prime and Mosura Mineral Plus/JBL Biotopol C?
I really look forward to him moulting and growing, and if possible, would like to speed up the process, and of course keep him happy and healthy in the meantime

4. Would it be advisable to add another male Red Claw into the tank so he won't be "bored"? Are the chances of them fighting and cannibalising each other very high?

Thank you very much in advance for all your help, everyone!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #26
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiighpriestess View Post
Hi all, sorry for re-posting, but I created my own thread and didn't get any help at all Hope you guys don't mind!

I'm new to rearing crayfish, and recently adopted a very beautiful Red Claw from a very helpful and generous member of the forum (not sure if he's comfortable with having his identity enclosed, so I'll play it safe )

- My pH is stable at 7.5
- Temperature gradually fluctuates between 21-27 (when I'm home, my cray gets to enjoy aircon in my room)
- 1.5 ft tank with 1mm pebbles and coral chips as substrate to about 1.5" in height
- A small HOF that I plan to replace, as it isn't strong enough at all- have alot of crap floating around my tank!
- A Hailea airpump with 2 spherical air stones on either end of the tank
- A few pieces of driftwood, a small ball of christmas moss and (what I think is) a nana plant tied to driftwood, as well as 3 tubes stacked together for the cray to hide in.

My Red Claw is about 3 inches long from claw to tail, and was initially quite shy when I introduced him to the tank, but is now slightly more curious and comes out from his favourite hiding place under the driftwood to come look at me, haha..
I feed him Hikari Crab Cuisine- don't really mind spending a little more on food since there's only one cray.

1. How much should I feed him, and how often?
He readily took 8 pellets, but I didn't dare to give any more because it seems like alot, especially since he likes gardening my christmas moss..
hmmm.. i suggest u feed him small amts but more times a day.. maybe 4 pellets in the day 4 in the night..
2. Which HOF filter is efficient, quiet & suitable for my tank?
I've got lots of tiny pieces of debris (shit and dirt) floating around my tank, as well as bits of moss that my cray keeps clipping and always clogs up my tiny filter, so I have to clear it every day.
I'll stretch my budget to $50, but of course would rather spend less for a good filter :P
if u only want HOB i suggest Aquaclear or eheim liberty.. aquaclear IMHO is the best HOB filter in the market.. it has so much more space for media than the other HOB filters.. and i think its design is the best(oceanfree has some HOB which copy their water flow design.. i actually wanted to buy.. but i see their quality like very chui.. the powerhead also looks lousy.. looks like might overheat and spoil very soon.. and space for media very little..) but then aquaclear sg nv sell.. must order online and ship over.. for 1 with a flowrate of around 500L/hr is around $50+ even more ex than the eheim liberty.. the eheim liberty just get the 2042.. its $46-$48 at C328 with flowrate of 570L/hr.. i think for HOB filters only this 2 is good.. cos this 2 designs makes sure all the water goes through the media before being released back into the tank.. but HOB got very very very little space for media.. but with a $50 budget u can actually get a cannister which IMHO is way way way better than a HOB.. i got my dolphin C-500 with flowrate 500L/hr for only $53 at C328.. got 2 trays inside and i can say that when i'm using this cannister i observed that my water is much cleaner and water circulation is much better than my old 600L/hr atman HF-600 HOB filter..
3. I'm currently using Nutrafin Aqua Plus to condition my water; should I still get or replace it with Seachem Prime and Mosura Mineral Plus/JBL Biotopol C?
i'm using seachem prime to top up my water as i got fan which makes my evaporation rate very high.. as for the JBL Biotopol C its a good product.. even bro eric kwa who is a breeder uses it.. i use it when i do water changes but i do not use it when i top up water as i do not want to overdose my tank with it.. cos water evaporates but the nutrients does not evaporate with the water.. however once in awhile i dose around half a capful to my tank as i seldom do water changes and i believe the nutrients concentration will decrease in my tank over time and i have to top it up.... i only do water changes when my nitrate excedes 40ppm.. bear in mind that crayfishes dislike changing water parameters.. they can tolerate nitrates up to 40ppm and are actually in fact quite comfortable at around this lvl of nitrates..

I really look forward to him moulting and growing, and if possible, would like to speed up the process, and of course keep him happy and healthy in the meantime

4. Would it be advisable to add another male Red Claw into the tank so he won't be "bored"? Are the chances of them fighting and cannibalising each other very high?
ur tank is actually quite small.. i do not suggesting adding more crays..
Thank you very much in advance for all your help, everyone!
hope my advices are useful..
Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
hiighpriestess

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmaru1987 View Post
if u only want HOB i suggest Aquaclear or eheim liberty.. aquaclear IMHO is the best HOB filter in the market.. it has so much more space for media than the other HOB filters.. and i think its design is the best(oceanfree has some HOB which copy their water flow design.. i actually wanted to buy.. but i see their quality like very chui.. the powerhead also looks lousy.. looks like might overheat and spoil very soon.. and space for media very little..) but then aquaclear sg nv sell.. must order online and ship over.. for 1 with a flowrate of around 500L/hr is around $50+ even more ex than the eheim liberty.. the eheim liberty just get the 2042.. its $46-$48 at C328 with flowrate of 570L/hr.. i think for HOB filters only this 2 is good.. cos this 2 designs makes sure all the water goes through the media before being released back into the tank.. but HOB got very very very little space for media.. but with a $50 budget u can actually get a cannister which IMHO is way way way better than a HOB.. i got my dolphin C-500 with flowrate 500L/hr for only $53 at C328.. got 2 trays inside and i can say that when i'm using this cannister i observed that my water is much cleaner and water circulation is much better than my old 600L/hr atman HF-600 HOB filter..
Hi, thanks so much for your advice!

Sorry for my noob questions, but what is a canister filter, and how is it different from a HOF?

Is it an external filter?

Which canister filter would you recommend?

Will I need to purchase additional filter media for it? (e.g ceramic rings..?)
If so, what would you recommend me to get?

Thank you again
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #28
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Hi, thanks so much for your advice!

Sorry for my noob questions, but what is a canister filter, and how is it different from a HOF?

Is it an external filter?

Which canister filter would you recommend?

Will I need to purchase additional filter media for it? (e.g ceramic rings..?)
If so, what would you recommend me to get?

Thank you again
yup.. its an external filter.. more info can be found here..
http://www.firsttankguide.net/canister.php

for me i budget so i just get china brand.. for ur tank size the same filter as me dolphin C-500 will be ok ba.. up.. need.. i use ceramic rings and ANS bacter rio 9000.. dun use their activated carbon.. unless u have medication in ur tank that u wanna get rid of..
Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #29
hiighpriestess

Just one more question.. Is it quiet? Hahah a silly question I know, but I keep my tank in my room, and the gushing/spraying noise of my lousy filter is driving me crazy!

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #30
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Just one more question.. Is it quiet? Hahah a silly question I know, but I keep my tank in my room, and the gushing/spraying noise of my lousy filter is driving me crazy!

Thank you very much for your help!
best part about cannister.. it is very very silent.. wahahha.. actually on second thoughts.. ur tank size use eden 501 enuff liao..