Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #181
lucas_1957
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka22 View Post
Hi guys, I am new here.

I got a lobster today and I put it in my small tank of 1.6 gallon. The tank is 75% full of water and I just place a bridge for the lobster and nothing else. Dropped in three pallets but it is not eating and it just hides under the bridge all the time.

Any advice on how to make it better? Stones necessary? I did not install air pump and filter for it. Do I need to switch on the lamp 24/7?

Please provide your precious advice and feedbacks! Thanks.
Hi,

there are some limitations with your set-up.

Firstly, your tank is too small, this means that your lobster will be very cramped when it grows bigger next time. this also means that the water quality will deteriorate very quickly (the lobster will shit quite a lot) and you will need to change the water frequently. This frequent water changing will stress your lobster.

Secondly, you do not have a pump or filter. So, as i mentioned earlier, you will have to do a lot of water changes which will stress the lobster. At the very least, you should get a HOF (hang-on filter).

Thirdly, your tank is too bare. This is a very unnatural environment for the lobster and hence it will surely hide in a dark corner. You should put some rocks and wood so that there are more nooks and crannies for the lobster to hide and feel comfortable.

Fourthly, dont leave the lights on 24/7. This is unlike the natural day and night cycle, and the lobster will feel stressed and it will just hide even more and will not eat. Lobsters tend to be nocturnal so turning on the lights 24/7 will just make it hide almost all day.

To get your lobster to eat, firstly provide a hiding place for the lobster (can use PVC pipes) and dont disturb it. Then, at night, when you turn off the lights, drop some pellets inside. By the next morning, the lobster will have eaten the pellets. Otherwise, you can try dropping the pellets right in front of the entrance of the lobster's hiding place and the lobster will grab the food and go back to its hiding place (this depends on the bravery of your lobster)

For your setup, i suggest using at least a 1.5ft tank (about 24litres, which is 6 gallons). If you want, put some gravel at the bottom, put more rocks and wood, add a filter, at least HOF, dont use sponge filter, the lobster may end up shredding the sponge. If you want, can put some cheap water plants for the lobster to feel more comfortable (they will end up eating the water plants, which is why i said use CHEAP water plants)
Last but not least, get a cover. IF you put a HOF, it is very likely your lobster will climb up the inlet and escape.

Hope my advice helps
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #182
kaka22

Thanks Razor and Lucas. Your advice helps a lot. I will try making some improvements to the tank. =)