Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 08-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #21
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
sweet ! what temp u keeping yr crs at ? mind sharing what kinda chiller u using ?
Thanks bro! I keep my temp at 23-25. No chiller, just fan. During the day the fan's on so temp's around 24-25. at night when i get home, the aircon's on, so temp is at 23-24.. cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Winq bro, I don't know how did you get the idea or relation to being born rich or less rich, working hard or not?

What I meant to say is, with CRS being more affordable than before, with the same money, you get a much higher grade shrimp. Years ago, the pioneers started out with C grades, B or at most, A grade. S grade was too expensive, and even if they can bear to pay, it doesn't mean they can buy it readily.

Thus, let's say, just abt 1.5yrs ago, a SS grade would cost in excess of $200, but it is available at below one blue note today. It's as simple as that that I was refering to. I wasn't even talking about rich or working hard.

It's because shrimps are affordable, that pple would start with S or SS grade immediately. If you start with A or S grade, and when you eventually sees a SS grade in your breedout, the joy of having your own SS is tremendious. It's like if you work hard and earns your own money, you go thru e process and when you spend your money, the feeling is different from spending money given by parents. Get it?
Hi bro, thanks again for your comments! I first started out with cherries/sakuras because they were cheap and easier to keep.. moved on to A/B grades(which i gave away), before trying out Hinos. I may not have experienced the joy in breeding an SS grade from my A grades, but I still derive some form of satisfaction when my hinos breed As mentioned, i personally like thick reds and whites on hinos and because of the efforts by Silane and others who have done the work for me, I can now continue to enjoy the fruits of their labour by selecting shrimps that exhibit that trait.. without having to start from scratch cheers!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #22
rainman

Ok, so i was bored and since i couldn't get to sleep, here's a shot of one of my tank corners

Old 08-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #23
reaverx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Thanks bro! I keep my temp at 23-25. No chiller, just fan. During the day the fan's on so temp's around 24-25. at night when i get home, the aircon's on, so temp is at 23-24.. cheers!

Hi bro, thanks again for your comments! I first started out with cherries/sakuras because they were cheap and easier to keep.. moved on to A/B grades(which i gave away), before trying out Hinos. I may not have experienced the joy in breeding an SS grade from my A grades, but I still derive some form of satisfaction when my hinos breed As mentioned, i personally like thick reds and whites on hinos and because of the efforts by Silane and others who have done the work for me, I can now continue to enjoy the fruits of their labour by selecting shrimps that exhibit that trait.. without having to start from scratch cheers!
hey yo ,tats really good , i only manage to achieve 26 deg in my room with fan ... how u get to 23-24 ? yr place is really windy i guess ? i also just started a shrimp tank will post pics soon too
Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #24
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
hey yo ,tats really good , i only manage to achieve 26 deg in my room with fan ... how u get to 23-24 ? yr place is really windy i guess ? i also just started a shrimp tank will post pics soon too
hey bro, guess i'm not the only one awake at this time! haha.. Before i started to keep CRS, i was all ready to invest in a chiller so did some temp readings during the day to see how high the temp got. found out that it never got higher than 26 during the day, and so with the fan on, drops the temp to 24-25. at night it's easy as i have my aircon on so temp is always around 23-24 without the use of fan. My place isn't particularly windy, esp so when i'm at work during the day as all the windows are shut. not quite sure why/how the temp manages to stay the way it is.

can't wait to see your shrimp setup.. keep us posted! cheers
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
I may not have experienced the joy in breeding an SS grade from my A grades
I'm not sure if we can get SS shrimplets from A grade, but anyway it's just a comment.

Quote:
during the day to see how high the temp got. found out that it never got higher than 26 during the day, and so with the fan on, drops the temp to 24-25. at night it's easy as i have my aircon on so temp is always around 23-24 without the use of fan.
Do you on the lights in the day or at night? Since you don't have a chiller (currently), you may want to on the lights at night, where temperature is lower than day. Lights contribute to more heat.

The few degrees change in temperature between day and night, may not be good on the long run. Better keep to a consistent temperature where possible. Do keep checking the temperature in the coming weeks/months. The weather is getting hot as we head towards mid year.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #26
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I'm not sure if we can get SS shrimplets from A grade, but anyway it's just a comment.

Do you on the lights in the day or at night? Since you don't have a chiller (currently), you may want to on the lights at night, where temperature is lower than day. Lights contribute to more heat.

The few degrees change in temperature between day and night, may not be good on the long run. Better keep to a consistent temperature where possible. Do keep checking the temperature in the coming weeks/months. The weather is getting hot as we head towards mid year.
Hi bro, i actually turn on my lights only at night as you're right, it does sometimes raise the temp by a degree. Will keep track of temp as the weather gets hotter mid year, thanks for the pointer! cheers!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #27
PapaFountain

what is the plastic bag for? By the way do should i keep my tank in a shaded corner so that it will be easier to control the temperature of the tank?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #28
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaFountain View Post
what is the plastic bag for? By the way do should i keep my tank in a shaded corner so that it will be easier to control the temperature of the tank?
Hi bro, if you were asking about the 'plastic bag' in the right tank, it's actually just a cutout piece from a plastic bag i lay on the substrate when I add water in to prevent my substrate from messing up. Just haven't removed it yet

I'm not sure if it's easier to control the temp of your tank by keeping it in a shaded corner but regardless, would be wise to keep it away from direct sunlight for a couple of reasons: firstly, if you're using a chiller or fan, it requires less effort to maintain the temp that you require. and secondly, algae issues! Hope this helps!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #29
Fir337

Very nice setup but y u need co2?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #30
alex888

tts a nice setup! btw what substrate and filter are u using? i have just started out and need some advice from u guys!