Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 28-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
octopus
Arofanatic

Default Why my co2 reactor stalls frequently

It is the common green colored reactor otherwise known as turbo jet reactor. I have fixed a powerhead directly to the inlet of the reactor. Pressurised CO2 injected from top. After sometime the water stop flowing into the reactor and the co2 forces itself out thru the powerhead inlet. Can see big bubbles escaping from powerhead when this happens.

The reactor resumes normal function when the co2 tube is plugged out from the reactor and connected back. Looks like some gas or air trap. The powerhead also has another outlet that allow air escape but it have been sealed to prevent co2 escaping before diffusion. Will much appreciate if someone can come up with a solution. Apologies dont know how to post pics.
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
peanut8787
Arofanatic

I would suggest changing it to Up atomizer.. simple and neat.. easy to install too..
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
octopus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut8787 View Post
I would suggest changing it to Up atomizer.. simple and neat.. easy to install too..
The reactors are unsightly indeed. Will chk out the Up atomiser. Any indication of the cost $$?. Thanks for your concern.
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Planted

Just to share: I am using dymax diffusor cup, water went in to the cup and prevented CO2 from coming out. It works occasionally. The diffusing white part of the cup has algae and brown stuff growing on it.

Will that happen on an atomizer?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
Just to share: I am using dymax diffusor cup, water went in to the cup and prevented CO2 from coming out. It works occasionally. The diffusing white part of the cup has algae and brown stuff growing on it.

Will that happen on an atomizer?
For up atomizer, i only clean it for around 7 months once and when i saw the bubble that was blowing out was too big and seem clog.. Took a brush and rubba rubba it inside den back to nice fine mist again....lol
Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut8787 View Post
For up atomizer, i only clean it for around 7 months once and when i saw the bubble that was blowing out was too big and seem clog.. Took a brush and rubba rubba it inside den back to nice fine mist again....lol
Same. Except mind is in-tank GLA atomizer. Not the in-line type though. Everytime it starts to look like it isn't producing the fine mist, will take out of the tank to "rubba rubba" with a soft bristle toothbrush I keep for aquarium maintenance.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Same. Except mind is in-tank GLA atomizer. Not the in-line type though. Everytime it starts to look like it isn't producing the fine mist, will take out of the tank to "rubba rubba" with a soft bristle toothbrush I keep for aquarium maintenance.
is it the bottom type? Good??

Anw i just top up my co2 last night for $20 3L.. how much do u top up urs for?

Last edited by peanut8787; 03-02-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Yup, that's the one. It's good, really fine mist bubbles. Only thing is need higher cylinder working pressure. At least 25PSI if i remember reading correctly. So DIY CO2 and low pressure cylinders can't work well with it. For my CO2 tank, recently went to NA to swap my spare 3.5L cylinder, think I paid less than $20 leh. Can't remember now though. As for my 5L, till now still haven't top-up, coz still got pressure.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
peanut8787
Arofanatic

How long can ur 3.5L last? Mine last ard 2-2.5 month nia but blasting at >55bps la... Later i'm going down seaview leh... free to go?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Planted

Hey bro peanut and bro jonsan curious to see ur fts. Any pics to share?