Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 16-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
octopus
Arofanatic

Question Noise from timer

I am using a cheap timer (ikea) for controlling the light duration of the tank. No problem with the function as it effectively switches on and off at the preset time. Only problem is whenever timer is activated a loud click sound is audible and fishes get startled and start swimming in panic. Once even resulted in one of the fishes jumping out of tank. Does anyone face a similar problem?.

While at the topic of timers any suggestion as to where i can get those timers that that have multiple contact that could switch on and off simultaneously. Lets say when the preset time is up it can switch on the solenoid and switch off the lights. What is the estimated cost of such timers?.
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I am using a cheap timer (ikea) for controlling the light duration of the tank. No problem with the function as it effectively switches on and off at the preset time. Only problem is whenever timer is activated a loud click sound is audible and fishes get startled and start swimming in panic. Once even resulted in one of the fishes jumping out of tank. Does anyone face a similar problem?.

While at the topic of timers any suggestion as to where i can get those timers that that have multiple contact that could switch on and off simultaneously. Lets say when the preset time is up it can switch on the solenoid and switch off the lights. What is the estimated cost of such timers?.
I think I have the Ikea ones but never hear a loud click sound when it is activated. But I don't quite like the Ikea ones because the "buttons" for adjusting the time very small and difficult to change.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
aidil257

Hi.. Me too experienced the same clicking noise when it switch on/off...also while the lights are switched on there is also a cracking sound.... At first my fishes got a fright but now they are used to it...
Old 16-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Pyro77

Maybe you might want to put the timer further away from the tank by means of an extension cord?

Just a suggestion.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Navanod
Arofanatic

Could the fishes be startled by the sudden light instead of the click sound? I'm using the same timer and yes, there's a click but given that the chiller makes more noise when it kicks in and out, I don't think a click would frighten fishes. The sudden light (and dark) is more likely the cause?
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote