Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #101
melvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Bro..If you saw a jumping Shiro (abt 60cm) near the grass area, that's my...
She is probably one of the koi that keep jumping!
i was trying to look at the kois properly and keeping my 2 boys from creating havoc, thus couldnt stay too long. hope the koi is alrite. a really beautiful showa

melvin
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #102
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvvvv View Post
i was trying to look at the kois properly and keeping my 2 boys from creating havoc, thus couldnt stay too long. hope the koi is alrite. a really beautiful showa

melvin
Hmmm,........ I might have noticed you. Was your wife present as well? I noticed a family of four which the dad is always giving orders to his two kids.
pykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #103
melvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
Hmmm,........ I might have noticed you. Was your wife present as well? I noticed a family of four which the dad is always giving orders to his two kids.
wife bo eng, went shopping....l last saw a group of people crowding round the GC, anticipating the jump, but it ended up jumping onto a woman who was taking pictures. left after that.

the 1st runner up has actually nice structure too, unfortunately the colour went off, think it must be the stress.

anyone care to share what actually happened ?

melvin
Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #104
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvvvv View Post
the 1st runner up has actually nice structure too, unfortunately the colour went off, think it must be the stress.

anyone care to share what actually happened ?

melvin
The 1st runner-up died eventually. Jacky himself has made a police report and this is being investigated by the relevant authorities. At this juncture, better wait for an update from the affected party than to make any more speculations/judgements.
Old 13-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #105
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
The 1st runner-up died eventually. Jacky himself has made a police report and this is being investigated by the relevant authorities. At this juncture, better wait for an update from the affected party than to make any more speculations/judgements.
Sigh....but 1 thg i dun understand they sent the water for anaylsis but not the effected water!!! Sigh......a pity many good fishes is loss!!!Let wait for further result!!!
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #106
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbetta View Post
Sigh....but 1 thg i dun understand they sent the water for anaylsis but not the effected water!!! Sigh......a pity many good fishes is loss!!!Let wait for further result!!!
That is sad to know.

The testin should be done on the water in the big tub, and not the other way round. There was a similar incident many years back where kois jumped at the show as they were not used to the water here. After this incident, the club took real care about covering before judging and conditioning the water at the next show.

We will have to wait for the investigation outcome to know what is wrong.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #107
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

This is a nightmare comes true for organisor of any fish competition. Hope all parties can solve this amicably.

I remembered it happened once for Aquarama few years back where aros sent for comp also did not come out alive.
samuelphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #108
namrepus
Arofanatic

It is in the Today newspaper...

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...gic-for-dealer
--------------------------------------------
SINGAPORE - It was meant to be an occasion for koi lovers to trade rearing tips and size up whose fish was the best. But by the end of the koi show, $32,800 worth of the fish submitted for competition by one dealer had died, while several others barely survived.

Now the dealer, Mr Jacky Ong, and some fish owners are claiming sabotage.

A police report has been filed, and questions have been raised over whether the show organisers could have handled the incident better .

The fish died during the Young Koi Show last Saturday.

Mr Ong, who had entered his fish together with those from other owners, said that hours after some koi were placed in the tanks at the competition site on the night before the show, they began to deteriorate.

By two in the morning, one had died, and nine more followed in the course of the day.

"They were flopping around, and I was running around moving them from one tank to another," he said. "The fish were struggling and listing, you could see that they were highly stressed."

Mr Ong alleged that the show's organisers - the Koi Club (Singapore) - had done nothing while he was trying to save the fish. They had even told him not to remove those that still appeared well. No other dealers had problems, he said, adding that there was no designated vet present even though this was part of the competition's terms.

The show was held at Mainland Tropical Fish Farm at Pasir Ris, and is one of two competitions organised by the club each year. There were 20 exhibitors at the show.

Responding to MediaCorp's queries, Koi Club President Richard Tan said while it is not uncommon for fish to die during a competition, it was unusual that only Mr Ong's koi had been affected in large numbers.

"We don't want to speculate at this point. We can't rule out foul play, but we also can't pinpoint it," said Mr Tan.

He disagreed that the club - which has "slightly more than a hundred members" - had not handled the situation well.

"We collected water samples for testing and sent them to a private lab for analysis, and we are also submitting them to the AVA (Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority) as required by the police," said Mr Tan.

Having a vet present is also "optional". The organisers decided against having one for the show as there is "little a vet can do" judging from previous competitions.

But given the high value of some koi - one sold for $180,000 in Singapore - and the cost of maintaining them over their 20-year lifespan, some owners are now thinking twice about taking part in competitions organised by the club.

Mdm Low, who withdrew her membership after the incident, said "There have been security concerns raised before, and they haven't done anything about it. I am disgusted with how they've handled it." She declined to give her full name.

Although there is plenty of "professional jealousy" between dealers, such an incident has never happened before, said Mr Ong.

"But two years ago, one of my fish which won ... had its tail cut. Its value was affected and it will not be able to compete again."

Another owner who only wanted to be known as Calvin lost seven fish worth about $17,300.

"In future I won't be sending any of my favourites for shows but I will still continue to take part. Without participants, the hobby will die out, and shows are for us to show others the effort we've put in to groom our koi," he said.
------------------------------------------
namrepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #109
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

Remember to watch the news today at Ch5, Ch8 and Ch U...There is a report to on th Young Koi Show!!
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #110
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbetta View Post
Remember to watch the news today at Ch5, Ch8 and Ch U...There is a report to on th Young Koi Show!!
Wow. If true, this show has a very high profile.