Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 27-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
innovest_11
Dragon

Default Planter box has flies around, help!

hi all

Do you have any experience of getting rid of the mosquito-like flies aound the pond? I put in guppies to eat the larve eggs, but the edges of my pond are quite wet due to sometime the koi splashing of water over to the sides...

Help!
innovest_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
thee_boss
Dragon

did you built a pond into the planter box?

can show picture?
thee_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Rock

What you have are probably midges. As long as they are not mosquitoes, it should be more of a nuisance than a health hazard. You can tell they are midges because they fly very slowly and are very easily squashed.

Unfortunately, once they get into the system its really hard to purge them. Reason being their eggs end up everywhere and the only way you can get rid of them 100% is to maybe bleach ur pond and start your pond from zero.

Dimilin helps to control their numbers, but the problem will come back again after some time. On another forum, I have heard of another type of medication that is stronger and seems very effective on midges. However, it seems to affect the koi mildly as well, not to mention the midge population will bounce back eventually. Most medication is a temporary fix I think.

My personal solution is to clean my filters more frequently. You should find your first level mechanical stage filters would be LITERALLY crawling with the bloodworms that are the midge's young. I have heard of people breeding these to feed smaller aquarium fish.. The other upside is cleaner filters mean better water for your koi. heheh..

I hope someone finds better solution though coz they are quite irritating.
Old 28-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Fullcycle

I didn't know it's so difficult to get rid of them. If we're talking about the same thing, I got mine resolved naturally after a spider builds a web across my small pond and eventually traps them all.

(I don't know how to encourage spiders to build webs).
Old 28-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
jt1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
What you have are probably midges. As long as they are not mosquitoes, it should be more of a nuisance than a health hazard. You can tell they are midges because they fly very slowly and are very easily squashed.

Unfortunately, once they get into the system its really hard to purge them. Reason being their eggs end up everywhere and the only way you can get rid of them 100% is to maybe bleach ur pond and start your pond from zero.

Dimilin helps to control their numbers, but the problem will come back again after some time. On another forum, I have heard of another type of medication that is stronger and seems very effective on midges. However, it seems to affect the koi mildly as well, not to mention the midge population will bounce back eventually. Most medication is a temporary fix I think.

My personal solution is to clean my filters more frequently. You should find your first level mechanical stage filters would be LITERALLY crawling with the bloodworms that are the midge's young. I have heard of people breeding these to feed smaller aquarium fish.. The other upside is cleaner filters mean better water for your koi. heheh..

I hope someone finds better solution though coz they are quite irritating.
my filter box is covered and yet it has those midges as u said.
I recently put in a large bullfrog in there. it could be a "placebo" or pschological effect but it seems to help somewhat.

but having said that my filter box (even when covered) has quite a big of space inside
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
innovest_11
Dragon

Super fed up with the flies, saw so many of them, suddenly exploded in huge number of them, i bought sheltox and used to spray and kill them all, got layer of it gone into the water, not sure how it will affect the koi, keep my finger crossed....
Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
terence28

It is bloodworm flies like Kohaku said. I have them too, but am not bothered by them. If u spray insecticide, and it gets to the water, that is not good for the fish. Suggest u skim off the surface layer manually by hand if u dun have a skimmer or overflow outlet.

The spider solution sounds good!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
innovest_11
Dragon

Thanks for replying, cause this morning i woke up, saw at least 100 flies in my planter area, so decide to spray them, actually i feed my koi a lot, want them to grow big fast, so the water is brownish green milky

I have skimmer which mixed the insecticide oil layer with the water already, so far koi still ok, scary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28 View Post
It is bloodworm flies like Kohaku said. I have them too, but am not bothered by them. If u spray insecticide, and it gets to the water, that is not good for the fish. Suggest u skim off the surface layer manually by hand if u dun have a skimmer or overflow outlet.

The spider solution sounds good!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Kohaku
Dragon

Another way of getting rid of these is to install those fly traps where anything fly into it will be electrocuted. Do you have any light turn on near the planter box at night?

If yes, it could be attracting unwanted insects to it. Insecticide is for last resort only. Keep a look out after spraying as the effect dun come immediately.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
innovest_11
Dragon

i see, you mean those blue light and attract fly to it and electrocute it? hmm, worth a try, i'll see whether tomorrow morning the flies be back or not, usually at night see nothing, then suddenly morning comes, you will see the shock of life

No lights in my planter area, dark.

You are right, effect don't come immediately, i heard some splashing just now... and the koi are hidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
Another way of getting rid of these is to install those fly traps where anything fly into it will be electrocuted. Do you have any light turn on near the planter box at night?

If yes, it could be attracting unwanted insects to it. Insecticide is for last resort only. Keep a look out after spraying as the effect dun come immediately.