Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
marcus30
Double nick- HAMSTERSBELL

Default rearing ranchu

if i keep ranchu in a tank using canister.will the hood become smaller n color fade?
marcus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
marcus30

anyone pls advise?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
mybirdshit
Dragon

Colour usually fades when fish does not receive enough sunlight and also lack of things such as algae in their diet. Genetics plays a part at times.

For the hood, diet and genetics plays a part as well as with colour. Some argue with turbulence in the tank or too deep water depth hood will be smaller. Personally have found this can be rather variable between individual fish.
mybirdshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
marcus30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybirdshit
Colour usually fades when fish does not receive enough sunlight and also lack of things such as algae in their diet. Genetics plays a part at times.

For the hood, diet and genetics plays a part as well as with colour. Some argue with turbulence in the tank or too deep water depth hood will be smaller. Personally have found this can be rather variable between individual fish.
what kind of filter are you using?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
marcus30

I mean poor water condition cause the eye to grow bigger, colour fade and hood become smaller.

Sump n top filter maintain better water conditon.Does cannister able to do that as well?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
mybirdshit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus30
what kind of filter are you using?
I have diff setups. Main setup for goldfish no filter only airstones. Change water 100% once a week, low stock rate. Another is using a trickle filter which has very little flow rate. Next is 6 foot fiberglass, filter has brushes, jap matting, coral chips and ceramic rings. Flow rate not that strong. For grooming usually just airstones, no filter.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
mybirdshit
Dragon

Quote:
I mean poor water condition cause the eye to grow bigger, colour fade and hood become smaller.

Sump n top filter maintain better water conditon.Does cannister able to do that as well?
Eye grow bigger as in becoming stunted or pop-eye? Colour fading as I have mentioned, sunlight and diet and genetics come into play. Hood has to do with water and diet and genetics.

Sumps have largest capacity, followed by canister and then by top filter which generally have smallest capacity for biological media. The advantage of sump and top filter is that if there is a power cut oxygen is not totally cut off for the bacteria living in your media, whereas in canister filter because it is closed up the aerobic bacteria would then be anaerobic in low oxygen levels and if left long enough will die off. Canister filters will maintain good water quality as long as it is working. With canisters it is recommended return is via a spray bar and depending how big the tank is or variety of goldfish, the direction of flow of the return should be onto the glass to minimise turbulence.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
marcus30

the direction of flow of the return should be onto the glass to minimise turbulence.[/QUOTE]

If direction of flow of the return is onto the water as I dun use air pump.What is the bad effect for this?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
mybirdshit
Dragon

Quote:
the direction of flow of the return should be onto the glass to minimise turbulence.
If direction of flow of the return is onto the water as I dun use air pump.What is the bad effect for this?[/QUOTE]

It is just to minimise flow rate that I suggest direction is to the glass. You can position it such that it will still produce some bubbles. It is just that normally for fancy goldfish less turbulence is better as their body structure is not particularly fit for swimming against currents.