Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
mrnyunus
Dragon

redcross PH question

hi bros, was wondering...with a 38L reef tank...my ph was 7.4!...i then used marine buffer by seachem...up to 8.2 now..But my feather worms all dying!..or coming out from tubes...
My question is a wad PH are u guys on...marine LFS PH usually at ?..I shldnt up the PH??...Coz i read for reef tanks need to hv 8-8.4 stabile PH lvl....
Pls advice...before this all was fine, now my blue star,clam and scarlet all up...
mrnyunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
KaLiB

Sounds like stress, how fast did you up the pH level? Increasing pH too fast will cause stress.

I maintain my aquarium at around pH8-8.2.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
mrnyunus
Dragon

Default Thks mod for reply...

I followed the seachem marine buffer 8.3... One teaspoon to 40L .Tank was doing fine till I found a coral started to bleach.. Read abt it then proceeded to check ph lvl.. Which was 7.4 via ph pen. I then bought product and dose amt w tank water mixed. After 24hrs I measured again .. It's 8-8.1. Then all hell broke lose... One by one dying(livestocks) not corals which seemed recoluring back after 72hrs....my question is , are the ph lvl Frm LFS is low?? Below 7.5?..
mrnyunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
KaLiB

I don't remember measuring the pH of LFS water before so I'm afraid I don't know what the pH levels are.

It appears that the cause could be increasing pH rapidly over a short period of time. pH runs on a logarithmic scale, meaning an increase from pH7.0 to pH8.0 is a ten time increase. So even a seemingly small increase of 7.4 to 8.1 is a very large change to the tank inhabitants.

Generally, I would advise dosing less first and ideally spend some time to monitor water parameters as you dose to gauge how much the tank actually requires. I find some of the guidelines on these type of products to be somewhat generic and not necessarily applicable to all types of tanks.