Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 16-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
SFC
Arofanatic

Default improvement of my shrimp keeping

Dear All,

Three months back, I started plants tank including 100 nos of cherries shrimp to test but it happen to die 2 or 3 nos daily and getting lesser in my tank.

I decided to buy lower grade CRS(10 nos) which they told me not require chiller. After bought them happily put them in the tank. It’s great but it happening again 2 or 3 nos die daily. About a week, my lower grade CRS all gone and including of the previous cherries too. I really upset. I suspect my water issue so I change a bit of the tank water. After changing, I went to clement Blk 328 very often, I bought sakura and the lower grade CRS. It happen again, so I consult the shop uncle what had gone wrong? He claimed that my water issue and promote me to buy the biological aquarium supplement. For information, yesterday evening I started to put a bottle cap of the supplement but this morning I was 1 die.

Please advice.
SFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
reaverx

u should do research before just buying shrimp and dumping into tank ok ...

firstly did u cycle yr tank ?

did u acclimitize yr shrimp ?

temp wise - CRS even the low grades require at least a fan to bring down the temp ideal is 23-25deg for most shrimps

read the FAQs for more info
Old 16-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Bluebubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC View Post
Dear All,

Please advice.
Concentrate on planted tank first lor. Keep a couple of otto and snails. Wait for six months before you start introducing shrimps. Invest in filter and fans to keep the water cool and clean. Wish to see your tank photo.
Old 16-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
magpie
Arofanatic

Using a fan to cool down the tank temperature will only reduce the temperature by 1-2 degree from the ambient room temperature. For this kind of weather in Singapore, I don't think you can reduce the tank temperature to below 26 degree. If you are really into CRS and not bear to see them died, best if got budget invest in a chiller to maintain the cold temperature. Otherwise stick to cherry/sakura which can withstand higher temperature.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
wenjun
Arofanatic

Bro you said you have got 100 cherry shrimps and 10 C grades CRS +/-. All in your tank?!?!

Care to share your tank size? Water parameters? Any other inhabitants other than your shrimps?

Fyi, did you add all your shrimps( 100 cherry + crs ) in one shot into your tank? If yes, it would cause an increase in BioLoad thus, it might be the result of your shrimp deaths.
wenjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Wjustin

Share your water parameters with us . I suspect is that yr filter cannot handle that much bioload.
Old 17-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
oscar77
Dragon

Did you recycle your tank?
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Using a fan to cool down the tank temperature will only reduce the temperature by 1-2 degree from the ambient room temperature. For this kind of weather in Singapore, I don't think you can reduce the tank temperature to below 26 degree. If you are really into CRS and not bear to see them died, best if got budget invest in a chiller to maintain the cold temperature. Otherwise stick to cherry/sakura which can withstand higher temperature.
hi bro, with a fan, i managed to bring the water level down to 24 degrees. no joke about it. haha. i guess tats enough to keep high grade shirmps already right?
Old 18-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
reaverx

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
hi bro, with a fan, i managed to bring the water level down to 24 degrees. no joke about it. haha. i guess tats enough to keep high grade shirmps already right?
ambient temp 30 deg , so how u brought it down to 24 ? very curious
Old 18-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
kelvin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Bro,try getting a good termometer..i had 4 cheapo ones previously and all had different reading from same tank. One of it read 24 degrees when i only had 1 fan running on a 2 ft tank..